Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: flat tow with a spool?  (Read 9407 times)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Re: flat tow with a spool?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
i will be flat towing my CJ with my Ram 3/4 diesel.
The guy i bought it off flat towed it for 30,000 miles over the last 15 years.
meh ;)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »
Behind an empty pickup or a motorhome...

Behind a motorhome you wouldnèt even notice it. I barely noticed my XJ behind my diesel truck with the camper on. Towed great. Camper off it was fine till that one day when I got caught in some heavy rain....

I actually have a tow bar for my ZJ in case of a break down so I can tow it back to camp without having to drag the Redneck Toy Hauler out to get it. Basically more occaional use, I am hoping the dually will stay better planted than the old truck did.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 06:50:23 PM »
It was a pickup Clay.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 07:43:47 PM »
It was a pickup Clay.

And how much experience driving did he have when he started towing it?

I dunno.  I've thought about towing the Dragon behind the Dodge before....1 tonne 3500 CTD, and it worries me.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 07:48:13 PM »
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »
just outa curiousity ryan what mods did you do?   what tire are you running now?

i bought a truck to tow and put about 600 pounds of shizz in the back, and i flat tow because i cant afford the gas the 2.5 slams back on very short drives, have it pined in 4 th on the highway just to stay 90. i towed it this weekend and it towed great didn't burn hardly any gas in the tow rig and still have 3/4 tank in the tj.

i also break tested it at 50, came to a skidding stop on a dirt road and the truck didn't even start to jack knife

i was wondering if it would tow just as nice as it dose with a spool so i could weld it up (poor mans locker  :-[)

gonna play a devils advocate for you for just a few seconds.  forget for 2 seconds that flat towing isn't a great idea.

first, is the jeep just annoying to drive to the trailhead?  my YJ is loud, but goes ok so i drive it to the trail. no real need to tow, except for comfort. 
second;  to save 20/gas per wheeling trip, do you think its necessary to buy a second truck, register, insure it and maintain it, to save some coin?  think how much you've put into the second truck.  could it be used to possibly gear and lock the TJ?  then you could drive it with less issues........

IMO, if ur gonna flat tow, might as well drive it.  if you break something on the trail you still need to fix it before going home.   at least with a trailer you can drive haul the broken jeep home. maybe that would be a good investment then as well.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline 2grand4u

• UberWheeler
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 08:41:06 PM »
just outa curiousity ryan what mods did you do?   what tire are you running now?

gonna play a devils advocate for you for just a few seconds.  forget for 2 seconds that flat towing isn't a great idea.

first, is the jeep just annoying to drive to the trailhead?  my YJ is loud, but goes ok so i drive it to the trail. no real need to tow, except for comfort. 
second;  to save 20/gas per wheeling trip, do you think its necessary to buy a second truck, register, insure it and maintain it, to save some coin?  think how much you've put into the second truck.  could it be used to possibly gear and lock the TJ?  then you could drive it with less issues........

IMO, if ur gonna flat tow, might as well drive it.  if you break something on the trail you still need to fix it before going home.   at least with a trailer you can drive haul the broken jeep home. maybe that would be a good investment then as well.

the tj is the most unreliable thing i have ever owned, but if i tow it it is fine all day with no issues, soon as i hit the high way i find it works too had and starts to act up 4500rpm to 5000 can't be good for a 100 km both ways ether and as soon as i hit 5 th it bogs to a point it almost stalls, towing to me is very trouble free and it doesn't make me just wont to throw the jeep in the gargage and move on.
2011 ford ranger going to get some love soon

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »
the tj is the most unreliable thing i have ever owned, but if i tow it it is fine all day with no issues, soon as i hit the high way i find it works too had and starts to act up 4500rpm to 5000 can't be good for a 100 km both ways ether and as soon as i hit 5 th it bogs to a point it almost stalls, towing to me is very trouble free and it doesn't make me just wont to throw the jeep in the gargage and move on.

$400 I'll take it off your hands.  Then you can wheel the grand and not worry about fixing this jeep, so it doesn't break down on you on the trails. 

$400 is cheap life insurance to save you from a possible fatal situation.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 08:47:22 PM »
Dumb question, but what tire size and gear ratio are you running?  4500-5k rpm on the highway sounds odd.  I know the 4 cyl can't help.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline 2grand4u

• UberWheeler
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 08:47:55 PM »
$400 I'll take it off your hands.  Then you can wheel the grand and not worry about fixing this jeep, so it doesn't break down on you on the trails. 

$400 is cheap life insurance to save you from a possible fatal situation.

it's yours for 10 000 that what i would need to get to make any of my money back, if i can't get my money back I'll keep enjoying my truck and towing it

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 08:49:17 PM »
Dumb question, but what tire size and gear ratio are you running?  4500-5k rpm on the highway sounds odd.  I know the 4 cyl can't help.

Ryan.

what mods did you do?  what tires are you running? what gears?   
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline 2grand4u

• UberWheeler
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »

33, 12.5 and stock 4 10s the truck blows me away when in 4 low like a little tank but any thing over 50 is just hell

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 08:52:09 PM »
33, 12.5 and stock 4 10s the truck blows me away when in 4 low like a little tank but any thing over 50 is just hell

How fast are you pushing it on the highway to hit 5k in 4th?
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline 2grand4u

• UberWheeler
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 08:53:12 PM »
Ryan.

what mods did you do?  what tires are you running? what gears?   

rubi long arm, anti rock, race seat with 5 point harnesses, and a bunch of other little stuff mostly factory replace ment(like 2 rads :-[)

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 08:54:31 PM »
it's yours for 10 000 that what i would need to get to make any of my money back, if i can't get my money back I'll keep enjoying my truck and towing it

$10000 and you can't get it to run correctly.

I think towing is the least of your issues.  Fix it before it kills you, as I am assuming that if you are planning to tow it instead of fix issues with it, that there might be other items you are ignoring.
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com