Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: flat tow with a spool?  (Read 9413 times)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Re: flat tow with a spool?
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »
And how much experience driving did he have when he started towing it?

I dunno.  I've thought about towing the Dragon behind the Dodge before....1 tonne 3500 CTD, and it worries me.

i do not know...i guess 30,000 miles :D

i do not know 2grand4u, but i gather from the comments that he is a new driver and very inexperienced?

No matter what jeep i owned, i ALWAYS had another vehicle to drive while my jeeps spent time in many shops over the years. So, i think owning another vehicle is a 'bare' necessity when driving your dd jeep.

i also know someone that spent 2 years flat towing his cherokee behind his Chev Avalanche.
i know someone else that flat towed his WOLF359 cruiser on 44's behind his H1 Hummer.

So, it seems that all over North America people flat tow their toys. i would like to believe that if i drive like a citizen, than i will be fine flat towing a jeep behind my longbox Ram.

IF i had an area to store a flatdeck trailer, trhan i would probably own one. But i think it is unfair of you guys to jump down 2grand4u's throat expecting him to buy a trailer. He asked about towing with his Grand and rightfully was told it was a bad idea. He now gets a truck and still is being given grief.

So, what really is the issue? He is a known CRAPPY driver?

And everyday, something could happen that puts you in harms way. With or without a jeep attached to you, the outcome could be bad. i mean do you really want to swerve really quickly on a modified jeep of any brand? The outcome would not be nice.

Now, i do own a very good tow dolly that was custom made. Maybe after i experience a flat tow, i can decide if the effort of getting the dolly out of my garage is worth it.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 09:34:22 PM »
We kinda pulled Ryan off topic with the underlying engine issues, hopefully you can figure it out so you don't have to tow it.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2010, 09:41:14 PM »
try my best to keep her 90, 110 on down hills and like 60 up the smallest of hills

is that your guesstimate on how fast your going? or is that what the speedo reads?  90km/hr with those tires will be more like 110. 

also, if you can get that rig down here to the good ole' SW of Calgary, drop by. i will happily volunteer my neighbours OBD setup to read your jeeps mind.  if that computer is angry at you, or your new tires, we can find it.

bring beer.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2010, 07:21:54 AM »

is that your guesstimate on how fast your going? or is that what the speedo reads?  90km/hr with those tires will be more like 110. 

When I ran my angry squirrels with 31s and 4.10s the speedo was bang on, and when I ran 33s it was about by about 10%.

Also, I drove several times on the highway with heavy SSRs, 4.10s, and the 4 angry squirrels, it is not great but very doable, so I would get the engine running properly.  I daily drove my jeep up until 3 years when I finally got a truck.  It setup right and maintain, a jeep on 31s or 33s can be a daily driver and a very capable offroader.
'95 YJ with a few mods