Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Waytec's 95 XJ "Grumpy"  (Read 18027 times)

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
Waytec's 95 XJ "Grumpy"
« on: March 09, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »
So this is a big one I have been keeping a build on other sights for some time now and am have it hear as well.

Here it is as a nice little baby the day I brought it home. The guy I bout it off almost did not sell it to me. He asks me what I wanted it for. I responded to drive and go camping in. He goes good I don’t want it chopped up and bush beat.

The next day  RE 3.5 and 31” Pro-Comp Extreme MTs   ;D

Later that day. I had to  :o

Radio for com’s

Next to carry the spare and high lift a roof rack made from material I scavenged from scrap metal at work. It was funny how all the pieces where found in the bin and where the perfect size and length already.

I was not going to go with a bumper and winch right away, but the deal of a century came up so I could not refuse.

After a meeting with a log

Sliders where in order

I found having the spar on the roof made the rig to tipsy. A swing out is not in the budget right now so, inside the spare goes on it own rack. 

Stay tuned next is an on board air system and I have bent my front stock track bar so a heavier one is on order.

Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
Re: Waytec's 95 XJ "Grumpy"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 05:30:55 PM »
The On Board Air is done. I was able to fill two 2.5 gallon tanks from 0 to 130psi in about 2 minutes and air up my 31 x 10.5 for 10psi to 30psi in 45 sec with checking pressure 4 times.  
The pump came with the XJ. I modified the existing A/C compressor; I used 2 2.5 gallon tanks in the rear, and -6 signal brad hose with reusable fittings to get the compressed air from the pump to the tank. The compressor is not internally lubricated so I hooked up a small oilier I got from Home Depot.
Thanks Trevor (Immortal) for the use of a heated Garage and your help.

A dash switch for power. The green light comes on when the pump is on.

The compressor modified to except the inlet and output of air. All the wiring is now in loom and is nicely secured.  

I used a relay to control the power from the switch, battery and pump.

I found the perfect spot in the floor to drill a hole to get the hose from the underside into the cab. The carpet was cut in the spot already.  

2 tanks mounted with all the hardware.

;D

The system is set up that I throw the switch in the cab green light comes on to remind me that the pump is on. The pump starts pumping. Once it the pressure in the tanks gets to 130psi the pressure control cuts the pump out. Once the tanks get down to 100psi the pump will cut back in. I figure I should be able to run a ½ inch impact off this in short bursts.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »
I have some other mods that I did not post earlier.
The 4wd shifter was in the way when engaged and I could not get my leg in a  comfortable position on the trail, so I cut it handle off and put a small one on.

I added a thumb throttle. Really nice when I am have to stop on a hill and then start agene one foot on brake one foot on clutch one hand on wheel and one hand on throttle. Also nice when running the OBA that works at engine speed. It is now my curse control as well.

Added some safety equipment.
A real fire extinguisher mounted up out of the way and easy to get at.

For light that is easy to grab.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 05:33:43 PM »
It has been some time since I have updated my build.
I finished the bracket that holds the oilier of the OBA. After trying different clamps I found the best way to hold it on was Zip Ties.

I picked up a damaged Garvin Industries swing out.

After some help from a friend and $30 of end cut material you have to look hard to find the new metal. I did not like the way it mounted only using four bolts per side to the sheet metal. I modified the mounting system so a piece of 1 1/5 inch plat goes back into the sub-frame and bolts to it, the same way a trailer hitch dose. Now I can pull on it as much as I want and it will not move.

Due to the accident that damaged the bumper the bolt and handle that held the swing out closed was broken off and not usable. We used some artistic flare and what we could find around the shop to make a new handle.

The tire blocked the stock plat location so I mounted on the handle that secures the tier.
After being informed by the RCMP one night on the way home from work that a plat light is required I mounted a LightPlate LED light. 

I tend to drag my diff in the mud and scag and I am surprised that I have not found a rock yet. So being proactive a Rock Crusher diff cove in sported up front now. Over winter I will be building a new rear axel and it will get armored out as well. 

Last fall a stone was thrown from a trucks rear tire completely smashing my head light. The rock was still in the bezel when I stopped. So I picked up a set of YJ light covers and modified the mounting to work for me. I kind of has the Defender look to it now.

And finally a fuel tank skid to protect agents trail rash. TOMKEN it one of the only companies that is still making parts for the XJs that I can easily get shipped to Canada.
This skid has now been well field tested by me.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:34:54 PM »
I have planning the next step of the build for some time now. I did lots of research because not to many XJs have flares made to take a hit. Most people use plastic and the first tree you come to rips them off. So I decided to make mine tree and rock  proof. In the end you cannot really call them flares but more lower armour.
Front Before

Front After

Rear Before

Rear After

Because the XJs are long. I tend to hit the rear quarter panel when departing rock ledges. So I cut the panel and folded it up to increase the departure angel a little. I tied the fender and rear bumper together for added strength and if I am going drop down onto something slider will take the brunt of the hit and not the sheet metal.

The up grad completely changed the look of the rig. I will be able to run 33's with no issues at all, 35s with no up travel.

33's on a XJ with a RE3.5" lift. I don't think you will find that one on a chart anywhere.  ;)

During the summer I dent a few of my steering links. After having to bend them back to get off the trail and swapping used set I had on I decided to upgrade to a set that I wouldn't bend to easily.
Currie Heavy Duty Tie Rod

I also put on a drop pitman arm that I have had for some time but never put on.

Next is gears, locker, and bigger rubber.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 05:35:58 PM »
Here we go agene.
As you can see and for most of this build I have been reactive. I brake something, so I change and up grade.  This time I wanted to protect my grill before I broke it. I had a couple close calls, so I called up my buddy Brink. "Brink I need a hoop to protect my grill." "dude I have something on the go come by on Sunday and I can bend it up" "I am going out Saturday" "you have not had issues before"
Look at had happens on Saturday.

So Sunday after one hell of a guilt trip I have a hoop, to protect the outer edges and a small one for help the winch out.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 05:37:23 PM »
I won the lights last year at the CJA show and shin, thank you Modern Motors for donating them.
To control the lights I needed a switch. I did not like the IPF one. So I went to Bear and we found something that I liked. Instead of ordering 1 I got 12. Switches for all the lights and ones that are to come, the winch, compressor, and lockers and some extras.
I was able to get the compressor switch in, but I needed to make mounting plats for the rest. I did get some material and Trevor started to build them but we ran out of time and making the square holes is a pain in the arse. So a talked to friends and am now going to have them laser cut.

I got all the holes cut into the dash and consol panels and most of the wiring pulled but now I have to wait for the panels and I am back in business.  
the location for the lockers

location of all the light switches

location of the winch controls

I still need to figure out the winch cab controls. I found some diagrams on the net but when we pined them out the winch did nothing. I has to be something simple that we are missing because it is only to weirs that control the winch. The Warn controller has 5 wirers and the switch I have has 3 power in and two power outs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:45:07 PM by Waytec »

Slappyman

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 10:28:26 PM »
Great mods!  I really like the onboard air setup!

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »
Thanks Slappyman
I picked up my 33s yesterday in Calgary and today went out and put them on Grumpy.

Also see what showed up for me.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 07:45:10 AM »
33's and lockers? WHO ARE YOU! You can't be Waytec... ;D
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 08:55:23 AM »
you need 35s
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 10:12:40 AM »
you need 35s

Ditto.  ;D

He's going to be real scary now with 33's and lockers.  :D
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Yup just watch how far I am going to get stuck in the hole now.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »
might even make it 6ft into 2" of mud instead of 4ft....
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 07:50:25 PM »
I got the laser cut switch panels this week, mounted the switches and pre wired as much as possible.
Now I am hoping for good weather this weekend so I can get them mounted.