Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Waytec's 95 XJ "Grumpy"  (Read 18026 times)

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
Re: Waytec's 95 XJ "Grumpy"
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 05:05:46 AM »
That thing looks like it belongs under a kitchen sink  :o

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 10:01:54 AM »
That thing looks like it belongs under a kitchen sink  :o

?
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline Sean778

• Budget Lift
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 10:29:09 AM »
That spectre intake does look shiny, (and a little bit like a sink trap  :P ).  That cone filter seems a bit small, I'd want to see some surface area or flow numbers and compare to the stock filter.   Also, the pragmatist in me wonders how easily one could find a replacement filter.  Still, I like the idea of drawing air from under the cowl.
Great build by the way, I love how clean looking the switches turned out!  8)
'89 XJ

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »
I going with the spectre performance for two resins one because with the flat fenders I have a aftermarket snorkels wont fit, an air flow might but not 100%, the other risen is I saw 2 snorkels get ripped off last year. So this way it is inside and can modify it if needed down the road to be a snorkel.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
Today's progress

good shot of the damage

Offline comanche killer

• UberWheeler
  • Aaron
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 10:39:18 PM »
So I got snowed out working in a non heated garage. Today I moved the rig to a buddies place that is heated should have the engine out shortly and lots of other things planed mostly reworking old projects, and adding one of the most newbie things but they are actually practical for where I spend a lot of time wheeling. 

Pulse a somewhat snorkel
http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.9945
                                                (morerpmfred)
u should take a look under Andy's hood he built something like that I beleive he used a bigger filter.
95 3/4 ton Chev  dailydriver/heavy hauler
97 green MZJ custom 4link rear/3link front, FF 14 bolt rear welded, D 60 front, ax-15, np-231,custom rollcage, half doors, PSC hydro assist 14"kings 40"boggers

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 10:44:12 PM »
I,m thinking on going to  Aaron,s set up as it is cleaner under the hood and not ghetto like , like mine  ;D    Was not available when i built mine.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 10:53:46 PM »
this is something new for these guys. is company is more known for their street rod stuff. look around the site very bling bling stuff.  

The other set up I was looking at was http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/airflow_xj_snorkels.htm but I like the idea of not having anything on the outside to get ripped off. and if I have water high enough to such it in thru the cowl I am in bigger trouble then that.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:56:51 PM by Waytec »

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 11:32:54 PM »
I like the idea of not having anything on the outside to get ripped off. and if I have water high enough to such it in thru the cowl I am in bigger trouble then that.

Id have to agree with that... The likelyhood of getting it ripped off the outside in Alberta seems high, with the scratches and scrapes and new pinstripes we all seem to get on the trails here it almost seems inevitable... And yeah. When your junk gets wet, you know your in deep water then for more reasons than just that ;)
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »
So over the last couple weeks I have been busy.
engine is in all hooked up and running.

I modified the compressor to being grease-able, no more oiler. I have 2 o I converted the other one as well as a spare.

Front end all back together

I have been doing / will be doing lots of other little things as well, like new ends soldered onto the battery connections, adjusting the t-case shift linkage, cutting a foot of my Brink shovel .
I took the rad to the car wash and removed about 4 pounds of mud.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:16:08 PM by Waytec »

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »
today's update.
Front drive shaft new u-joint and in.
Adjusted t-case linkage so shifts correctly
T-case skid on
chased down the dim right light and no high beam. cause - corrosion in the connections. I have no idea where the dust, dirt and water keeps coming from. lots of electrical grease to try to keep the water out from now on.
Stock air box in
Changed out driver's seat to another stock one. We are not going to talk about my fat arse and the old seat.
Finally the to do list is shorter than the done list.
To Do
Cut, and drill bumper bringing it closer to the truck. and mount
Free spool is gone, need to take winch apart and clean and regrease 
Change out 5 pin on solenoid box. mount  and relocate box.
check fluids, Grease unit, Recheck fluids
Test drive

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »
So I have not updated in a several weeks.
so all the small tedious jobs are now done. took it for a test drive and found the axel seals leaking. not something easy to do.
her it is at my buddies fathers farm up the road from the shop. before the fenders where welded down and the hoop put back on.

no as many pics because I don't think you just are interested in looking at wiring and zip ties before and after.
I cut about 4 inches out of the front bumper and remounted the winch,  a little closer to the grill. No more Brink shovel for me. Trev I am thinking you are the last.

Now I am waiting for the new intake to come in and then I can relocate the control box to where the air box is right now. and put the wire rope back on the winch.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 01:21:34 AM »
Holly crap I am done and everything is back together, other than the fairlead supports that have to be welded on.
lots have happens over the last couple months and I did not take any pictures.
Everything in and drove it around for a couple weeks. all working good.
Took it down to Langdon for new lower control arm brackets (thanks Raf), I folded the old ones over.
On this trip I found a really bad leak. did some looking around and found that the valve cover had a hole in it from the lifting brackets. brought it back and changed out the valve cover for one I had kicking around.
I ordered a new air filter system relocation the intake to the fire wall. that took some time to come in and thin it took me some time to go to Edmonton to get it. 
All installed today, and noticed a difference right away. This should keep the water out of the engine. and if I am in water deep enough to get water in the intake I have digger worries then that at that moment.

I also relocated the winch solenoid box to the where the air box once was.

about half way through last summer i lost free spool on the winch. I took it all apart this winter and found the grease had hardened up and the caller could not move. After cleaning everything and repacking the crap out of it with grease, back together it went and back on the rig in its new place as close to the rad as possible.
Now drive it around this week and off to the trails this weekend. 

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »
Aaron - you have digger worries than most...
04 TJ Rubi

Offline xjpete

• Baby Wheeler
  • New ride
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 08:18:34 PM »
Right on ... I like that cowl air intake set up and cheaper than a Safari   8)
97 XJ,8'' LA ,35's , SBC .
98 ZJ daily driver .