Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: ZJ pros and cons  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Eagle Jeeper

• Budget Lift
ZJ pros and cons
« on: March 20, 2010, 07:40:15 PM »
Can someone enlighten me on the pros and cons of the late 90s grand Cherokee. I am going to Nova Scotia for the summer and want to buy something cheap as a runner and to attend the jeep jamboree down there it looks pretty good. Anyway most of what I am finding in my price range are grand Cherokees are they called ZJ's?

Anyway I am sure I will have to modify whatever I buy with tow hooks etc. so if anyone is knowledgeable here please help me out.

Thanks
94 YJj7, AMC360,T176,Dana300(twin stick, Dana 44 4:56, 14 bolt FF welded 4:56, 2 1/2" susp SOA, 38/12.5/15 TSL's, warn 8274,  Custom dash

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
Re: ZJ pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:08:16 PM »
Hope you have some $$$ to burn.  IMO they are inferior offroad to a TJ/YJ in the stock form.  But if you want to build it they are a good family hauler and can be very capable.

Check out http://www.mallcrawlin.com/

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
Murray, go with an XJ instead.  Much easier to lift, cheaper, tonnes of parts, etc.  Find a Limited with a/c, leather, and your laughing.  Start shipping lift parts from here right now.  :D

PS.  My wife is going to kill me....send me info on the JJ that's going on down there.  ;D
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Eagle Jeeper

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »
I found a few XJ's now I had to broaden my search into PEI and NB.  All the info on the Jamboree is on NovaScotiaJeepClub.ca .  Its held around Berwick and Aylsford.  Sounds like a great time.  My two brothers have built YJs and I don't like to sit on the right so hopefully XJ it is .
94 YJj7, AMC360,T176,Dana300(twin stick, Dana 44 4:56, 14 bolt FF welded 4:56, 2 1/2" susp SOA, 38/12.5/15 TSL's, warn 8274,  Custom dash

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »
A month before I get there....too bad.  :(
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 09:41:10 AM »
For a cheap family wheeler I think the XJ is the best platform. The ZJ isn't as popular and offroad stuff for it cost more.  While both have unibody frames the XJ unibody seems easier to deal with when modding things. For stock vs stock the XJ is smaller and lighter which is always an advantage. The unibody can make it diffiuclt to mount anything to the frame. When you buy tow hooks make sure a get a good quality bracket mounting system or just buy a whole bumper that incorporates the same mounting points. You can NOT mount the hooks directly to the frame.

In stock form I would argue that an XJ would easily out wheel a stock YJ(stock YJs don't seem to flex well) and comes pretty close to a TJ. I think the short wheel base on TJ/YJ hinders it as more than it helps in basic trail riding. Also because of the XJs unibody construction it has a lower center of gravity than a TJ/YJ.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles