Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New or Old  (Read 3657 times)

devildogg

New or Old
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:02:19 AM »
Hi all, new to the Jeep world and this forum, I'm an old fart kids are gone and I no longer need to think of having a vehicle for anyone but myself  ;D so it's Jeep time and I will keep my old truck

Here is my question to the some of you Guru's, I have an opportunity to by a 2010 sport with 12,000km or an 06 Rubicon with 45,000KM. I am definetly leaning towards the rubicon. Disregarding price what would you desire, is the in line 6 better than the mini van engine in the new Jeeps, what else should I be looking for to make my decision
Thanks
David from the Elk Valley

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: New or Old
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »
Hi David, and welcome!

I'm no guru but here's my 2 cents.   Rubicon? Yes - it's worth it.  As for engines, there has been lots of talk about the minivan engines as of late.  I'm partial to my inline 6 in my o4 rubi...
04 TJ Rubi

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »
Hi David, and welcome!

I'm no guru but here's my 2 cents.   Rubicon? Yes - it's worth it.  As for engines, there has been lots of talk about the minivan engines as of late.  I'm partial to my inline 6 in my o4 rubi...

I also like the In line 6, time tested.  Hope to see you out to a meeting soon to get to know the group.

Cheers,
Blair
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:53:18 AM »
The inline would my choice for the proven durability. An 06 rubicon is a very nice litt package to start with.

I wouldnt even hesitate to take the 06 in favor of the 2010 non rubicon.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »
06 rubicon.  you may never have to modify it to have incredible fun.  depending on your personality really.

* winch and accessories not included :)
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 04:08:37 PM »
I own an '08 Rubicon...and I'd probably buy the '06 Rubicon instead of the 2010 Sport.

You can go more places in stock TJ Rubi than in a stock JK that's not a Rubi.

There are some nice features on the JK, like a three piece hard top and nice creature comforts...but if you're going to wheel it I'd go with the '06 for sure.

There are folks on here that have done a lot of years wheeling almost-stock or moderatly modified TJ Rubicons and they seem pretty happy with their rigs.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

devildogg

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, is there anything in particular I should check on the 06 Rubi

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, is there anything in particular I should check on the 06 Rubi

Get underneath and check the skid plate and diffs for any scratches or repainting. If it is not scratched, than it has not been wheeled, this is great!
If scratched repainted, dented, than it has been wheeled. Not a deal breaker but good to know.
Tk
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

devildogg

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »
06 Rubi....

http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=16496.0

06 Rubi.    ;D

Well that about answers that. Now the only thing I worry about is losing a bit of seat time on my 990  :'(  hopefully the Jeep isn't to much fun, first post after I buy it if I do  will be another What Mods NOW  ;D

Oh yah just got back from Moab sort of got my Jeep gene's sparkling

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »
this may sound dumb, and you can shoot me down for saying it, but if you're old enough that the kids are gone, then you may be old enough to find it very annoying to get in and out of a TJ. the JK is much easier to get into. that said, i would still get the Rubi TJ abd buy a step ladder ;D
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »
this may sound dumb, and you can shoot me down for saying it, but if you're old enough that the kids are gone, then you may be old enough to find it very annoying to get in and out of a TJ. the JK is much easier to get into. that said, i would still get the Rubi TJ abd buy a step ladder ;D

Father's Day gift...electric steps.  :D
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 08:01:01 PM »
werent there some of those for sale not long ago... ::)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 08:11:28 PM »
werent there some of those for sale not long ago... ::)

YES !!!!!!!!! But i sold them  ;)
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)
With A BIG dent in the door......

devildogg

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 09:10:14 PM »

Listen here sonny, I can still out sled  and out ride most young whipper snappers, wasn't too many years ago I ran a full marathon and competed in several triathlons. So at our first jeep meet look up (way up)from where you will be, look  for  a grey haired guy (think Einstein hair) trying desperately to get out off his rubi to flip you the bird from the top of the hill  ;D

LOL I think I am going to like this forum,once I tune up a few young smart alecs  ;)

Pssst  where do you get the electric steps  :-[