Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New look for Meadow Creek and Lost Knife  (Read 12659 times)

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
New look for Meadow Creek and Lost Knife
« on: March 27, 2010, 05:35:11 PM »
I'm not sure when you folks took your last trip down Lost Knife to Meadow Creek but here's the new look with lots of views along the way.

This area stretches from the north bridge on Lost Knife that you guys did a few years back right to south of the bridge crossing Meadow Creek that you also replaced not too long ago.

There's a big logging bridge now in place that feeds into thier loading area. I stopped taking pictures out of disgust. Not due to the logging because Alberta survives on our industry, but due to 60 years of Sustainable trails being abolished due to the impact we've made over the many years.  I passed this area every Saturday for the hunting season till the end of Oct. and none fo this had been done till after that. Not bad for 4 months of work eh?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:40:04 PM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: New look for Meadow Creek and Lost Knife
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 05:37:24 PM »
Post up some pics Gunther.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 06:01:48 PM »
Pictures are up. You caught me right between cutting and pasting the links on the thread. :)

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »
Nice.
We went down Lost Knife a few weeks ago, and were amazed. I could hardly believe how much timber they had piled up. A wee bit disheartening.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »
thats realy shity

and us driving through acouple streams is bad ???

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline slimbeam

• UberWheeler
  • 4" RE,3"body,35"rubber,dana 44 rear,sye,KEW winch
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 09:09:30 PM »
we went through there on the cheese slider run and a logging road was just being built but was a couple of miles from the meadow at that point so all this distruction has taken place in the last month
I started out with nothing and so far I have most of it left

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 10:00:27 PM »
So let me get this straight. They shut down general usage to the area what... 4 years ago? Citing environmental impact of different user groups. Causing negative impact to the sensitive ecosystem was simply unacceptable by the SRD.

Now, 5 years later they grant us the privilege to venture back into these sensitive ecosystems only to find out that they've been clear cut.

I'm guessing they could expropriate the resources with all the pesky vehicular 4x4 users enjoying the area. This shhhhtufff pisses me off.

/rant

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 11:00:39 PM »
So let me get this straight. They shut down general usage to the area what... 4 years ago? Citing environmental impact of different user groups. Causing negative impact to the sensitive ecosystem was simply unacceptable by the SRD.

Now, 5 years later they grant us the privilege to venture back into these sensitive ecosystems only to find out that they've been clear cut.

I'm guessing they could expropriate the resources with all the pesky vehicular 4x4 users enjoying the area. This shhhhtufff pisses me off.

/rant

about sums it up.

we were there in the begining of march.  completely clear cut.  had lots of time to look at it while figuring out trevs clunk.
it was disgusting;  there are/were complete piles of logs; huge piles, and swaths of stuff clear cut.  huge landmovers/machinery sitting there............... but your 4x4 is devastating to the environment.......

Gunther, your pics barely do justice to the destruction out there hey? 
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline cruiserheads

• Winch Wench
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 11:04:54 PM »
I saw this coming when they shut down the trails. I think the company is called Spray Lake sawmills. They have some sort of Forestry Management Agreement  for that whole area. I think their Agreement goes from the 1A highway all the way to Mountain Air. Look around this site for more info. http://www.srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPrograms/ForestManagement/ForestTenure/ForestManagementAgreements/Default.aspx

Neil.

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 11:29:48 PM »
and funny how clear cutting got a lot more aggressive in McClean during the same time.

I think in political terms, it is called a snowjob. Have the enviros fighting against the petrolheads and get everyone fighting amongst themselves. During the hype shut down the area and sell it off tree by tree.

F-ing BS.

It's a shame we didn't have an industry backed lobby that could leverage a tax base to "influence" governance decisions over the Ghost fluz.

The government will receive more income from one single tree than they would from all the user groups combined.

Too bad they didn't even consider a user fee for the area. At least that would be a steady income stream. Now they've gotta wait 20 years for the resource to renew before they can sell it off again.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 02:24:39 AM »
Please don't post anymore pics Gunther! That absolutely makes me sick to see. I'm glad I have a lot of pics of that area from the early 90's to remind me of what it used to look like.  Absolutely disgusting...
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 09:41:33 AM »
easy answer...

Trees = Money to the government...

4X4s = groups to divert the attention away from the clear cutting companies that uses the same area.

It's all about the moooola$ brothers...

Do you think the government really cares about the environment?  .... LOL  ::)

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 09:50:39 AM »
Thanks Gunther for the heads up.. I have not been there for a while since my Jeep is getting some lovin' and can't move much.

Can't say much about the clear cutting... Last time I checked I bought a house and built a garage all in wood... I guess I support the clear cutting companies also.

It's still ugly to see the devastation it does. I remember wheeling you Gunther on one of my favorite trail with and you were pointing at your favorite moose  hunting spot that was gone. It was not easy to see destruction them and it's still very ugly today.

I can't get used to that  crap :(. makes me sad

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 09:53:20 AM »
Whats even worse is , this is spring break up time when the ground is soft and the riparian vegetation is  sensitive and the heavy machinery is hauling the logs out.

This is absolute    HYPOCROSY     SRD

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »
Andy ... HYPOCROSY is the nature of politics. LOL... have you met an honest politician? that are all 2 faced liers and they run the country. SAD

I believe SRD  just does that they are told  buy the head honchos in the government... the hypocrites. :-[