Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New look for Meadow Creek and Lost Knife  (Read 12625 times)

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
Re: New look for Meadow Creek and Lost Knife
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 01:05:57 PM »
Don't misunderstand my post and pictures. Clear cutting is probably the cheapest way to harvest lumber for the many products they use wood for. Large old growth forests doesn't cover the full need. Unless we're prepared to pay premium price for our wood products if they select lumber then clear cut will be the way they log for years. My entire livlihood depends on lumbering industry for material so I'm not totally againsnt this practise, as ugly as it may look.

But how dare they close our trails and brain wash the people who don't have a clue about the back country that we, the 4x4 users are the ones creating all the environmental impact and damage with our using a system that's been around for 60 or better years. If they were into 4x4's they would find a way to keep 4x4 trails open. As it is though, more of our government leaders are into other motorized, so coincidently that's the stake holder that gets the trails.

By the way, to fill you in a bit more. At that second bridge on the north end of Lost Knife trail is where they intersected one of our 4 designated summer trails and have now made part of the Lost Knife Trail part of thier logging road.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 01:59:37 PM »
Have they started cutting? I know that the night of my accident they were unloading skidders and feller/bunchers off of tractor trailers and moving them to behind a stand of trees and covering them with netting

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 03:36:14 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've probably missed page one of this thread. ;)

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 03:50:13 PM »
See all those bare spots (lack of trees) on the hills Fras... that's what we call "cutting".
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 04:13:50 PM »
just a little hair cut and trim to help get rid of the pine beetle.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 04:24:03 PM »
Well said Gunther.  I was really suprised by the  new "highway" after the second bridge.  I knew that they were going to cut but...
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Ostego

• UberWheeler
  • Full Size Jeep
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »
Yeah....I saw all this when I was ATV'ing few weekends ago.
Made me sick... :-\
'95 ZJ: 3" Budget lift, quick-disconnects, 31x10.5 Savero MT's
'74 J20: 401, Holley Street Avenger 4 barrel, custom  camper.
'75 F100: 351M, 5" Super Lift.

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 07:47:15 AM »
Stuff like this has been happening on the west coast for years, they just gate up off road areas so no one can see the devastation. It will grow back...but tread lightly my butt...how can they complain of some off road wear to the terrain when they hand out permits to do that?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:41:45 AM by mike s »
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 02:25:17 PM »
i just think its ratarded the we have to be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo careful when 5 years later this happens
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 03:08:30 PM »
I am back from my first ever stint up working in the oil sands north of Fort Mac.  Some of you may know, I am an environmental consultant in the patch, which means that I oversee the reclamation of the areas after leases have been built and the wells drilled, amongst other things.

The project I worked on this year produced solid results, meaning there is a high probability the area will be mined.  That being said, until the company I was working for decides to mine it, they must leave it the way it was, save for the trees that were cut to make room for the lease roads and the leases themselves.

The idea behind this is simple.  If the resource company changes there mind/sells the mineral rights/doesnt go ahead for whatever reason, the overall impact is negligible. 

All that being said, it isnt fair to lay blame at the feet of a community doing its best to observe the rules, especially when there are hidden agendas. 

Someone should take their pictures of before and after, and any legitimate correspondence (ie letters/emails etc) to the SUN or the Herald, and get an article wrote.  Smokescreens are bullshit.
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »
Well, i think we should continue doing projects for SRD out in Waiporous...that sounds like a great plan ::)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »
ya sounds good we mine as well just pave our trails and make them 4 lanes wide that shouldnt impact much
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 12:52:44 PM »
Nice to see all that hard work that has been done was done realistically for nothing, the SRD are just pawns same as the 4x4 community.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 06:45:55 PM »
I think somone should hunt down the several reporters who wrote in favour of closing there areas due to environmental concerns a few years back, and ask them if they would do a story on this?
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 09:57:54 PM »
I think somone should hunt down the several reporters who wrote in favour of closing there areas due to environmental concerns a few years back, and ask them if they would do a story on this?
Word!
 Here is a picture of Leisure Creek. Actually I think it is right near where Lost Knife and Leisure creek intersect.
*edit... this dates back to 2006. Proper spelling is aprantly Lesiure.... not Leisure.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:05:55 PM by apex »