Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New look for Meadow Creek and Lost Knife  (Read 12644 times)

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: New look for Meadow Creek and Lost Knife
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 08:38:37 AM »
so now that this area has been clear cut are there any plans for the cja to do a tree planting work project? have we ever done tree planting before?

we cant change what happened but we can still make a difference! and i get that tree planting is not really trail maintanence but it might help our karma!

just my 2 cents.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »
When I asked about tree planting a few years ago it seems it does not happen as much as it use to anymore. If they leave enough or the small material on the ground then it comes back from the seeds left behind.  I am hoping we can find some new trail opportunities out of the trails left from the cutting. I would rather spend some time and build some obstacles into the trails they left behind to make them fun and try to open them up. I want to go out and have a good look at what’s left behind for opportunities later this month. Tree planitng is good work but I don't know if they have any plans to replant or just let it come back naturaly.  

I was told by ASRD that this cut was done partly for Pine Beetle infestation.  

We should have a busy year of projects ahead.
Need to finish the MacLean bypass trail work we started last year.
The Land Cruisers appear to be moving ahead with there bridge build and will need help.

A bridge and some work at McLean will keep us really busy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:16:37 AM by 01sahara »
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 09:21:44 AM »
http://www.srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPrograms/ForestManagement/AlbertaReforestationStandardsScienceCouncil/ReforestationStandardsQA.aspx

5.Is reforestation mandatory?
?Yes. Reforestation has been the law in Alberta for over 30 years. The requirements for reforestation exist in the Forests Act, Timber Management Regulation, and Forest Management Agreements.
?An estimated 65 per cent of harvested areas are reforested by planting, 20 per cent by direct seeding and 15 per cent left for natural regeneration.[/b]?Approximately 75 million seedlings are planted in Alberta each year.

Looks like natural regeneration is supposed to be the lowest form, while replanting should be over half?  Maybe the program has just fallen behind?
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »
http://www.srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPrograms/ForestManagement/AlbertaReforestationStandardsScienceCouncil/ReforestationStandardsQA.aspx

Looks like natural regeneration is supposed to be the lowest form, while replanting should be over half?  Maybe the program has just fallen behind?

Thats good to know. Thanks.

I always thought there could be an opportunity to trade some tree planting for the forest company in exchange for some dirt work with the heavy equipment they have.  I never got a much of a positive reaction from the idea.  
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 10:58:44 AM »
Proper spelling is aprantly Lesiure.... not Leisure.

Actually it is Lesueur....  "The Sweat" in French

Nice of them to throw in a new road instead of using the existing ones...  Oh well...

When I was there in February, we saw three trucks driving around in Johnson's bog past the broken fence ten feet from the signs....  That sort of thing is the reason we will never get the place back.

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 11:57:43 PM »
We'll never get it back only because they don't want anyone in there anymore, it has nothing to do with the 4x4's,Quads,bikes,hikers,environmentalists or pine beetles, they're just feeding us a load of BS. If no one is around the less they have to worry about a log falling on somebody or a skidder running over a Jeep, it's all about the all mighty $. You can build as many bridges as you like, but it doesn't matter, it's not like they took all the hard work everybody has done into consideration when they destroyed that whole area did they? They royally screwed it up, a couple of trucks in a bog has nothing to do with it, and if you believe it does then I'm sorry that you are so blind to the reality of what is really happening in the backcountry all across Canada.

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 08:54:27 AM »
Well quads are basically allowed everywhere.  They are supposed to stay on the designated trails, but it is quite obvious that nobody cares including SRD.  The non-designated trails are still well used and there are no "this trail is closed" signs.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2010, 05:06:27 PM »
Well quads are basically allowed everywhere.  They are supposed to stay on the designated trails, but it is quite obvious that nobody cares including SRD.  The non-designated trails are still well used and there are no "this trail is closed" signs.
Ahhhh, this was the brilliant strategy of SRD. If it is not signed OPEN, than it is CLOSED (no signage necessary).
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 10:43:15 PM »
I just finished watching SHOOTER!  Excellent example of how to deal with the government.
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 02:40:35 PM »
Have any of you done any tree planting? I mean like big scale reforestation.

I did it in my early 20's and its VERY hard work and has to be done correctly. I was the slowest on my crew and consistently put in 1800 trees per DAY. The top guns on the crew were 5000-6000 per day and we had REALLY good codintions where we were.

To replant a section like that would have taken my partner and I probably 4-5 FULL days. Do you really want to get into that??!?!?

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 09:17:02 PM »
Why in the world would anyone even consider jumping on a tree planting project after industry has reaped the benefits of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of lumber? If SRD wanted it reforested I'm sure that would be part of the agenda for the logging outfit. Right now they are in thier glory with the pine beetle infestation. The more they log, the more they can pass it off and blame it on Pine Beetles. This way they can strip any area of trees they wish to, and SRD has the benefit of passing the blame onto the beetle  to anyone complaining about the excessive logging.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 10:23:28 PM »
So true.  Don't even think of replanting....it looks SOOOO much better leaving it like it is.  ::)
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Besides all those new roads they have built will be those promised new "trails".  ::)