Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Parents with wranglers  (Read 10275 times)

Offline 4low

• Budget Lift
Parents with wranglers
« on: March 29, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »
Hey all;
Just wondering how "new parents" or parents, fair with using their wrangler with their family, primarily with babies in baby seats. opinions and experiences please!

Thanks,
Mike
BTL WGN

><>

Offline Eagle Jeeper

• Budget Lift
Re: Parents with wranglers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »
I have a 94 YJ highly modified for offroad and we take our 2 and 4 year olds with us all the time.  Its a little tight for space but the two seats will fit.  I don't think I would consider it for a daily driver just since it doesn't have 4 doors it a bit of a pain.

94 YJj7, AMC360,T176,Dana300(twin stick, Dana 44 4:56, 14 bolt FF welded 4:56, 2 1/2" susp SOA, 38/12.5/15 TSL's, warn 8274,  Custom dash

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »
i dated a chick with a child and it was never a issue putting the little one in the back seat but if your looking to buy
an older model like a TJ then i would suggest the unlimited TJ .. my brother has one and he has a 2 and half year old and its so easy to get the child in and out even is wife has no problems

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »
You can use them to get a down payment on a nice Cherokee.  ;D

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »
If you do, look for a 03+.  Transport canada mandated all vehicles built in 2003 and newer must have the LATCH system installed for mounting carseats.  It is a much more secure way to anchor those seats in a vehicle.
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

devildogg

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:01:56 PM »
Depends, how much do you enjoy friday night frolics  ;D after raising 3 kids I can tell you she wont br happy long with a 2 door, Wrangler or otherwise. One kid maybe , one kid and an infant?  good luck. If it's temporary and you end up getting a second car for a daily driver then it's all good,                  otherwise????

Just my $.02

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »
I have a 98' TJ.  Been using it steady with my 1 year old, almost 2 and my 3.5 year old.  In the summer it is awesome and easy to get in and out of with the soft top or from behind.  In the winter its a bit of a pain, but not bad.  The worst part is climbing in to install and take out the child seats.  Most newer vehicles come with ratcheting rear seatbelts which make it really easy to get a good tight install.  The TJ's don't so you have to use a little clip which sucks.  This is only a problem if you are taking the seat in and out like I often do.  If you are installing it and leaving it, its unimportant.  I would recommend a year which has the latch system.  It would make things alot easier.

Not sure how a Unlimited would make it any difference.  Other than more room for gear, I think the legroom is exactly the same.

A baby seat/carrier system definitely takes alot of room in any vehicle.  It had to go behind the passenger seat since it became to restricting to me since I needed the seat probably 5 clicks forward to get it to not touch.  Proper installation requires it to not touch the seat in front.

If you buy an older TJ you will need to add tether anchors.  They can be had at any Jeep dealership.

98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 06:02:56 PM »
the unlimited has another 6 - 8 inchs of leg room behind the front seats and 10 inches extra behind the rear seat .

but tis the room behind the drivers seat thats nice because you can climb in and your not sitting on your child when you strap them in
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
From what I have seen its 2" of extra legroom and 13" of extra cargo space.  My guys are now just getting to the point where their legs are kicking the back of my seat, so I think 2" would be pretty heavenly.   One of the biggest benefits is that 13" of cargo space.  Whether its for hauling a stroller or having room for kids and trail gear.

All said I am definitely leaning towards moving to a 4 door JK when the time is right.  Although I love my Jeep, its not terribly family friendly when it comes to wheeling.  I don't have to like to pick between trail gear and my co-pilots.  For running around town it works great.  They definitely love it!
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:54:01 PM »
If you want a Wrangler - and if it's in your budget - I'd suggest one of the new JK Unlimited Wranglers. They actually have 4 doors, which will make your life much easier with car seats.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 10:13:55 PM »
we had a infant seat in the back of a lifted 97 tj.  it was a wee bit of a reach but i thought it was awesome and the kid had a great view.  putting in the bucket into the base took seconds.

now with two kids , the xj fits much better with a front facing seat. bucket in the middle and enough room on the side for a double stroller and stuf.
  nice fit across the back.

Offline Rubicon Josh

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 10:30:51 PM »
I have had my TJ Rubicon for 5 years now and have wheeled with my now 6 year old since day one. It has also been my daily driver for the past 5 years so I can give you my honest opinion.

I love my jeep and will probably be burried in it one day. I have a ton of memories wheeling with my son and hope to have many more over the years, but.... Having a two door jeep sucks when you have kids. Summer is fine because you can load the kids from the side. Winter sucks! Unless you are 6'6" and have the reach of a gorilla it sucks having to buckel your kids in the back. I can't tell you how many times I have stained my pants from slush/mud on the rear fender flairs. Also there isn't much room. After loading the camping gear in the jeep there was only room for myself and my son for the weekend. No wonder I stayed single for so long.

Now I have four kids and the jeep has become down right impracticle. I still refuse to get rid of her but I am shopping for a new 4 door JK in the fall. I still won't have room for the whole family but it is a little more practicle seeing as I only have three of the kids full time. Time to turn the '03 into a BRUTE.

Do yourself a favour and buy something that will fit your needs for the long run. ;)
First completed AEV Rubicon in Alberta and only the fourth in Canada!

Offline 4low

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 11:27:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I definately appreciate all the first hand experience!

The plan would be for the jeep to be my dd, and to have a more "family" oriented vehicle that the wife would drive, but ultimately I imagine in a family (zero experience on my part) both need family capabilities, I'm weighing options, and was looking for first hand experience, which you guys def. were able to share with me.

I had a YJ, and wanted to be able to share the experiences I had with the YJ with any potential offspring, that may or may not be coming  ;D so I was thinking TJ, price is def. a factor, as I don't know what it's going to be like solo income (especially mine) trying to support 2 other people.

Thanks again for the responses!
Mike
BTL WGN

><>

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 02:14:14 PM »
We have 2 wranglers, an o7 jk 4door, and an 03 tj. 2 kids one is 1.5 the other 11.

I don't mind the tj with the little one for short trips to the grocery store as I will shut off the airbag and put his seat up front. with my oldest it is no issue front seat or back..... however if I am taking him to hockey their is only room for his hockey bag in the back and him up front. and that is the limit with a 2 door. they are fine for crusing but if you take the family out to do some light shopping you will not even fit a box of diapers in the back with 2 kids, forget going to the inlaws with the 2 door because you will not have room for clothes let alone things like a booster seat, playpen toys... and ect.

now the 4 door... you can store the same amount of kid stuff under the rear seat as you can in the entire 2 door..... We took the wifes 4door to cold lake for xmas filled 2 long rubbermade containers with gifts stacked them easily in the back and still had room for all playpens saucers.. booster seat and 3 suitcases.

Do yourself a favour get a 4door.

and a 2door just for yourself  ::)
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline Brooneg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »
My wife has the minivan, and I was driving a suzuki sidekick.  That did not work with 4 kids all of whom want to go wheeling with me.  I got a ZJ for a DD and it will let me take all 4 boys and gear out.