Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Waiparous June 11 or 12  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Fly Guy

• Baby Wheeler
Waiparous June 11 or 12
« on: June 07, 2005, 12:54:25 PM »
I finally got my jeep back on Friday so I'm heading out to Waiparous this weekend for a little wheeling and a little fishing...thinking of camping up at Margaret Lake if anyone is interested

RUBI

Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 02:34:19 PM »
A group of us ( 8 ) were out in this neighbourhood just last Sunday. Can you say MUDDY :roll:  Anyways , I'm thinking bout maybe doing Hunter Valley - Ghost Cross Country loop, possibly Sunday......Just waiting to see what my work load is gonna be. I'll know Thursday for sure, then will make concrete plans.  :wink:

RUBI

Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 02:16:42 PM »
:cry: No go for this weekend.........work load to high, Oh well. Next one for sure  :wink:

Offline GiS

• That CB Yapper
Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 02:20:25 PM »
I would suggest staying out of McLean/Waiparous over the next week or so...Not only are they actually closed and you will be breaking "policy" but you will be fostering enviromental damage with the soil being so wet.

My $0.02

Offline Fly Guy

• Baby Wheeler
Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 03:47:15 PM »
Thanks for the heads up...after I made the post I heard it was closed.

On another note, I'd really like the OHV community to stop using the word "damage" when referring to trail use. It makes out hobby look bad to non-OHV users. Sure, we may alter the landscape but it's insignificant when you look at the global picture. Nature changes the landscape all the time...so do animals. For instance, I've seen first hand how a herd of elephants can alter the landscape when travelling over wet ground. No one refers to this as "damage", so why is a human using a machine to move around any different? The use of OHV's may cause environmental pollution, but I have yet to be persuaded that OHV use causes environmental damage that mother nature can not recover from.
that's my 2 cents...

Abrasive

Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 04:16:27 PM »
^Good point...

However, I think there are times when it is damage. If the area is heavily saturated and volatile, driving an OHV on it will cause more damage than nature will be able to heal in the small amount of time that it will be given before seeing full use again, such as a trail in Waiparous.

$0.00002

Kris

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »
Flyguy,
You mean the DAMAGE that Mother Nature just did out there in 3 days is what 10 trucks on 44's and high hp with IRRESPONSIBLE drivers behind the wheel could not accomplish the same DAMAGE as Mother Natured did if the trucks were at it for 15 years!!!!!!!

Yeah, i agree the use of damage is ridiculous. Wear and Tear but DAMAGE???

We are our own worst enemies. The CJA goes on a mapping project and is not allowed to post pics of the trail ride due to concerns over the enjoyment had by all on a trail WHERE WE ARE SUPPOSSED TO BE!!!!
But no pics because of the ruts.... Mother Nature is the RUT maker, its called EROSION. And the floods just eroded 20 years of wheelin in 3 days.

i know some of you will argue just because that is what you like to do, but Flyguy is right we should stop adding damage to everything we do RESPONSIBLLY in the area WE ARE SUPPOSSED TO BE!!!

Tom :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline GiS

• That CB Yapper
Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 09:41:47 AM »
Faawwwkkk...Sorry if I caused any problems. I was just trying to get the word out that McLean was closed for the time being.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 10:08:46 AM »
Quote from: "Spinalguy"
Flyguy,
We are our own worst enemies. The CJA goes on a mapping project and is not allowed to post pics of the trail ride due to concerns over the enjoyment had by all on a trail WHERE WE ARE SUPPOSSED TO BE!!!!
But no pics because of the ruts.... Mother Nature is the RUT maker, its called EROSION. And the floods just eroded 20 years of wheelin in 3 days.

I believe the main reason that the CJA does not want to post pics in a public forum now, is because they can very easily be used against us by tree huggers.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Fly Guy

• Baby Wheeler
Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 11:02:03 AM »
Quote from: "Spinalguy"
Flyguy,
Mother Nature is the RUT maker

Tom, I agree with everything you say except this...jeeps are the rut makers, but what's wrong with a rut? IMO...nothing. It's just evidence that a trail has been used, and that's what trails are for...using them to travel upon.

GiS:

You didn't cause a problem...I just don't agree with your choice of words.

I believe that OHV use is one of the few motorized hobbies that does not cause environmental "damage". If we stopped using the trails then in 100 years it is unlikely there would be any trace of them left. If you compare that to road racing on the other hand, all of the tracks and dragstrips, etc are built with large quantities of concrete, asphalt, and other infrastructure. What happens to that when the track is no longer in use?

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 11:18:54 AM »
Black YJ,
sometimes hiding what we do is an admission of guilt. i agree with any and all pics showing skeg, mudbog and deep mudholes on a trail but pics of anything else should be posted to show what we do in the areas we are suppossed to be in.
If you think it is the pic that kills us, i disagree, it is the trucks with mud all over them driving around in the city. Its the trucks that go thru Waiporous village faster than 30km/hr. Its pics showing someone off trail throwing mud.
The environmentalist are NOT the group that is most vocal against OHV use. Do you know why? Even they know that limiting all trucks to 4 trails in Waiporous is going to cause displacement, and that is going to be far worse!
Traffic to other areas will increase as a direct result of the absolute absurdity behind GAMP. All environmentalists know this.
There are other stakeholders that want us out no matter what. Pics of us doing what we are suppossed to be doing in an area we are suppossed to be in is not the problem.
Flyguy, that is why i choose wear and tear that is to be expected. As long as the holes and ruts do not cause sediment runoff into any riparian areas and any fish areas than this is a non issue. period.
SRD had NO impact studies, the OHV community does and it shows that the water coming out of the South Ghost is CLEANER than the water coming out of the Bow river South of Calgary. Go figure eh?

Tom :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

CJ-7

Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 11:30:46 AM »
Anyone in for a double header weekend  ...... We'll do wipass  sat. ... and.....Sunday we can go ripp the crap outa Mclean creek.......

lol kidding  ....  

You can't have    manslaughter without laughter    :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Waiparous June 11 or 12
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 09:54:52 PM »
Quote from: "GiS"
I would suggest staying out of McLean/Waiparous over the next week or so...Not only are they actually closed and you will be breaking "policy" but you will be fostering enviromental damage with the soil being so wet.

My $0.02

I totally agree with you GIS!!!!!