Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: May Long Liquor Ban  (Read 7907 times)

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
May Long Liquor Ban
« on: May 12, 2010, 07:48:53 AM »
So I see in the paper with morning that the government is imposing a liquor ban in National, Provincial and Public Lands starting May long weekend and it looks like McLean and Waiporous are included in the ban.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this works out for them this year

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/Alberta+joins+liquor+national+provincial+parks+long+weekend/3016321/story.html
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: May Long Liquor Ban
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:58:04 AM »
So I see in the paper with morning that the government is imposing a liquor ban in National, Provincial and Public Lands starting May long weekend and it looks like McLean and Waiporous are included in the ban.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this works out for them this year

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/Alberta+joins+liquor+national+provincial+parks+long+weekend/3016321/story.html

In the article it said that they are not included in the ban. That is too bad. Wish they would have been. Hope there other enforcement level is high this year.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:05:58 AM by 01sahara »
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:05:01 AM »
Quote from link.

"That means liquor will still be allowed in high-use public areas like Waiparous and McLean Creek."
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:18:53 AM »
Perfect. That wont make things worse in mclean and waiparous at all.........................
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:24:20 AM »
Perfect. That wont make things worse in mclean and waiparous at all.........................

What Bill said.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 08:28:21 AM »
Quote from link.

"That means liquor will still be allowed in high-use public areas like Waiparous and McLean Creek."

I missed that line this morning, oops.  I had not finished my morning coffee.  Thats GAY!!!
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 08:33:35 AM »
you almost gave Nathan a heart attack
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline rangerdanger

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 08:47:14 AM »
Sounds like they are trying to send all the rowdys out into the bush so they have an excuse to close it all.
Lethbridge Coulee Kruzer

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »
Last year they did a great job enforcing, lots of check stops lots of booze poored out and licence plates were recorded at rowdy messy campsites. Warnings were given to the messy campers that if they did not clean up a fine will be given to vehicle owners.
There was little to no clean up last year.
I'm sure this year will be even stricter.
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:29 AM »
Last year they did a great job enforcing, lots of check stops lots of booze poored out and licence plates were recorded at rowdy messy campsites. Warnings were given to the messy campers that if they did not clean up a fine will be given to vehicle owners.

they did that at IG too........... worked great.  quote from the kids that burnt the car 'man, we spent 2500 on booze for this weekend, frack a 150$ ticket'

granted last year was a lot better....... i also think it'll be stricter this year and am all for it.  i would also support a booze ban. i can give up one weekend for a summer of wheelin.......

~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

YoungFluff03TJ

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »
Im 20 and I hate most of the kids out there. This will be our (my friends and I) 6th year and it just gets worse every year. Last year there must have been 400 cops, but that stopped very little. This ban is just forcing the rejects to mclean and waiporous....if theyre going to ban the boose it has to be done everywhere. I love sitting around the campfire with a beer after wheeling around a bit, but now im scared to take my jeep to mclean on may long.... my 2cents

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 12:26:48 PM »
Here is how i see it. IF you ban drinking on long weekends at a few troublesome areas, than the troublesome people
will go elsewhere.
Did you notice the increased traffic in Maclean after they severely restricted access to the Ghost for 4x4's?
Did you notice the increased traffic even more after Indian Graves SEVERELY restricted random camping and banned 4x4's?

So, lets say they ban drinking at Waiporous, Maclean, and Indian Graves on long weekends. WHERE do you thing the people that enjoy drinking, camping and recreating will than go?

THEY WILL GO TO LESSER KNOWN LOCATIONS .
Hmmmmm...

INCREASED traffic to areas that allow drinking will increase USE of trails which will CLOSE  the SECRET areas even quicker... this is not good at all.

Also, looking at Maclean over the last 2 years with bike and 4x4 clubs cleaning up after May Long, has seen a DRASTIC decline in garbage and overall reported hooliganism. Ask SRD, do not believe the MEDIA fenzy  ::) People in a huge majority are respecting the areas we now have left. 8)

Eventually, a ban here and there will equal a ban everywhere, but not before the increased traffic and MEDIA causes some very pristine areas to have severely restricted access to trails ...

One of the things i and many Albertans enjoy is camping, recreating, eating and drinking on Long Weekends. There is NOTHING wrong with that. Banning it does nothing but push the problem elsewhere.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 02:34:07 PM by Spinalguy »
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 01:00:03 PM »
I don't drink so it doesn't affect me. How I see it though is like 4 wheeling. They couldn't/wouldn't enforce the laws that were currently in place, public got upset, so as a knee jerk reaction they over compensated and banned the whole thing.

Being intoxicated in public is illegal, go in there in mass force and start hauling people off to the drunk tank when they start to get rowdy. Make people start being accountable for their actions. Don't punish everyone....

I heard a war vet on the radio who was deeply offended that he couldn't have a glass of wine after dinner while camping in the park. He fought to preserve rights and now this is how he is treated. I can see his point of view.....

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »
people are just plain ridiculus... the hooligans and the government.

I go every year after may long to picking Garbage and Last year was one of the best. You know it's good when Global sends a reporter, film all day and they don't air the anything on the news. They were looking for a story to add gas to the fire... didn't work so well. 

They can close the back country for May long as far as i'm concern because I use it ALL YEAR AROUND and 1 week-end won't kill me...if it saves our trails from closing.

Do you think it's the plan of the SRD to ban boose in the parks so it gets worst in Waiporous and Maclean? The ban is federal but usually the province follows after... it would be sad if it's the case.

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:09:39 PM »
Remember last year at this time?  Same rumour about a drinking ban at McLean -  people gave their opinions, some got their shorts twisted in a knot over the debate.  Turns out it was a non-issue, there was no drinking ban, people generally behaved and there was very little garbage to clean up.  I enjoy a few to several drinks around the campfire and I'm glad there are still a few places where we can enjoy the outdoors and like any civilized society imbibe in alittle alcohol on our time off :) ;)
near stock advocate