Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: what's up?  (Read 3485 times)

Offline --weezl--

• Stocker
what's up?
« on: May 15, 2010, 02:46:49 AM »
hey everyone, heard good things about this site from some people at blaskin and lane on 17th... checked it out when looking for rims for my truck a month or 2 ago, and figured i would register tonight, to see what i can find out about you all...

my first question is, is this site non-jeep friendly? i own an 07 Ranger FX4 Level II  with 33x12.5 km2's and lost of money put into little things around the truck... mainly i'm looking for people to go wheeling with, and was wondering if this would be a good resource for me... most of the ranger sites i have found are usa heavy, with only 1 or 2 members from calgary, most of which have 2wd trucks...

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
Re: what's up?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
I'll say hi, I've got a '97 Ranger that I'm currently working on a solid axle swap for it. These are all good guys/gals. I've never been on a trail ride with them, but not because I have a ranger, but because I can never make it out on most runs because of work. Also check out the Four Wheel Stampeders....http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca.
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline Stainless

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »
Yeah, I've been out for CJA open runs in my Nissan a few times, and everyone's totally cool about it. They might hassle you a bit if you need to get pulled out of something, but there's an easy solution to that -- don't ever get stuck.

Easy as pie, right? Hmmm...

I think that the "official" club runs are Jeep only, though. Someone correct me if that's not true.

S

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »
You won't be able to join the club as a member unless you own a Jeep product and intend to wheel it, but you will probably be welcome to come on many of the open "stocker" type runs.

The more challenging runs tend to be for members, and thus you probably wouldn't be able to join them.

You're welcome to hang out here, and attend as many of the open runs that you meet the requirements for.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline --weezl--

• Stocker
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 11:11:01 PM »
ok cool, that's more or less what i have been looking for... no offence to any of you guys, but i don't really care about wheeling WITH you, i just would like to talk to some people who know the areas around calgary, where to go, where not to go, what's allowed, ect... and of course in return, i'll share what i know, which at this point is mostly mechianical ability and how to fix it when it's broken... as for how to wheel, i'm a complete noob

i of course, wouldn't be against going to an organized event, as long as i'm not going to be the redheaded stepchild... getting hastled because my ford couldn't keep up doesn't phase me though, i'm used to people trying to make (false) claims about it ;) lol

t-bird, i'll check out that site for sure... are you on there also? what's you're sn? i spend a lot of time on ranger-forums.com (make sure there is a dash) the other resource for rangers, that i use for reference only, is therangerstation.com, and there is rangerpowersports.com (never been there, but lots of people talk about it)

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 01:09:33 AM »
No offence to you or your ford on 33's  ;D  but why don't you start your own club, run the trails for 20+ years, gather maps, contacts, etc... then come back here and share all your work.

Maclean Creek and Waiparour are open to fords on 33's

To me, asking another man for his trail maps is like, well, this is a family friendly site, so it's just disrespectfull.
Jeep
With stuff

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 10:26:31 AM »
McLean and Waiparous will keep your Ford on 33's happy for the time being.  ;)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 11:40:47 AM »
Frenchy....no offense to you...but I read your post early this morning almost just after you posted it, and then again just now....and Damn! I'm sorry....but if he started his own club, and got all the experience that you suggested then why would he want to come back and share it with you after those kind of comments?

Don't get me wrong, I know this is a jeep forum but a new person is expressing his interest in getting out and enjoying the company and experience of those who have been around for a while. He's offered to share what he knows in exchange. What's wrong with thise? Fair enough that the club only runs are there for a reason, and I have never taken any offense to not being invited as I drive a Ford as well.

There are some people out there who just want to find places other than McLean and Waiparous to screw around in, but to chastise someone right away is pretty harsh. If I read your post wrong, then I'm sorry.
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 11:57:15 AM »
No offence to you or your ford on 33's  ;D  but why don't you start your own club, run the trails for 20+ years, gather maps, contacts, etc... then come back here and share all your work.

Maclean Creek and Waiparour are open to fords on 33's

To me, asking another man for his trail maps is like, well, this is a family friendly site, so it's just disrespectfull.

With all of the complaining and blaming of the 4x4 community you would think people would be nothing but pleased to hand out the 'where too's and where not too's' to someone else that wants to be responsible while enjoying their vehicle in a recreational manner.   The tighter you hold on to something the quicker you will lose it.
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 12:26:47 PM »
no offence to any of you guys, but i don't really care about wheeling WITH you, i just would like to talk to some people who know the areas around calgary, where to go, where not to go, what's allowed, ect...

I might have taken this the wrong way also (wonderful internet  ::))... It seemed like you were asking the fisherman to go fishing with him for his favorite fishing hole but not for his company and wisdom. I didn't think it was very nice either ... it's all about perception I guess.

lets move on...

-weezl- there are lots of information where to go legally on the ASRD web page. Waiparous and McLean have maps you could use to find where to go in these area. The FWS are a great bunch of folks. They are not clubs that require a specific band of vehicle (like a Jeep Club or a Nissan Club). Please do not try to go explore solo. it's not a wise decision. Clubs are a great way to meet folks that share the same passion as you do and learn how to to the right thing in the back country.

We , as a club, decided not to talk about "other places" (other then Maclean or Waipairous) to the general public on the forum and in person because we don't know who you are. We made that decision due to past experiences/closures. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the FWS are doing the same. There are too many folks our there that does not Respect the Land (I guess that's a plug for the SRD  ;)) and we don't know who is who on line. I wouldn't want any grad parties in my backyard! That is why we keep our cards close to our chest. I'm sure you can understand that.

I'm sure if you go meet them (or us for that matter on an open run) and you have the right intentions; they (we) will gladly help you and show you their favorite "fishing hole" as we would do to our Jeep members or prospects.

-weezl-... all the best ..i hope you find a way to enjoy the beautiful trails that we have here in this province.

Hope to see you on the trail sometime,

Cheers,
Dom

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »

... it's all about perception I guess.

Yes this is true...

And I must say Dom that you do have good tact.  Impressive!!!!!
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 12:14:52 PM »
And I must say Dom that you do have good tact.  Impressive!!!!!

Ya know, Dom is not just another pretty face  ::)
04 TJ Rubi