Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Flooding at McLean  (Read 4011 times)

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
Flooding at McLean
« on: June 08, 2005, 09:57:18 AM »
http://www.4wheeler.ca/index.php?showtopic=17356&view=findpost&p=132148

Some pretty crazy pics there. These were taken west of the pond, of the bridge there.

McLean is gonna look a LOT different after that!
I can't even fathom what Rut Alley looks like, I'm willing to bet its under two feet of water.
Any cutlines with crazy ruts, are gonna be even crazier!
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline GiS

• That CB Yapper
Flooding at McLean
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 10:04:04 AM »
I took about 30 shots of Bragg Creek and McLean last night....Will try and post em tonight...

Anyone else ever seen floating picnic tables in McLean Pond?

tjd60

Flooding at McLean
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 10:08:30 AM »
Wow, thats a lot of water. :shock:   Are there recomendations being made by the AURS to stay out of the area for a while so that the ground can dry up a bit before people go wheeling out there?

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
Flooding at McLean
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 10:14:57 AM »
Quote from: "TJD60"
Wow, thats a lot of water. :shock:   Are there recomendations being made by the AURS to stay out of the area for a while so that the ground can dry up a bit before people go wheeling out there?

Nothing as far as I know, I believe SRD has closed the area (that or its just plain inaccessible).

Not sure on that.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline GiS

• That CB Yapper
Flooding at McLean
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 10:22:10 AM »
Gravel road is closed off, rest of McLean is a mess...You wouldnt wanna be out there even if it was open. Holes I walked through on sunday up to my ankles were up to my headlights last night. Crazy stuff!

P.S. Cool seeing you on my way back into town Nils :)

tjd60

Flooding at McLean
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 03:27:53 PM »
My thoughts are, even when the water has gone down it should be restricted to drive on the trails.  The ground will be very saturated for a while and any vehical would create damage to the trail system that would take more then one clean up day to fix. :?

My two cents. :wink:

tjd60

Flooding at McLean
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 03:28:38 PM »
Quote from: "GiS"

P.S. Cool seeing you on my way back into town Nils :)

I was just on my way home 8) .

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Flooding at McLean
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 04:47:37 PM »
Below is for immediate release.

This includes the Ghost Multi-Use Zone and Maclean Creek OHV Area.

These are temporary restrictions to all users (not just OHV's), to stay out of the Forest Reserve until conditions improve.

This restriction is caused by the recent rainfall and flooding.

We fully support this restriction, please make sure all your friends who are not online are aware that Maclean Creek and Waiparous are restricted until the water level subsides (it shouldn't be more than a few days to a week if the rain lets up)

Please let everyone in the OHV community know, and please respect the restriction.

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Immediate Release:

June 8, 2005

Albertans encouraged to restrict activities in the Southern Rockies area

Edmonton... Due to recent heavy rains in the Southern Rockies area, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development recommends Albertans restrict their travel and activities in the forest reserve south of the Red Deer River near Sundre to the north boundary of Waterton National Park until conditions improve.

Heavy rainfall and resulting high water have impacted roads, bridges and other infrastructure that may make travel unsafe.

The government is also asking off-highway vehicle users and random campers not use the forest reserve area until conditions improve for safety reasons and to minimize impacts on soil, vegetation, and already saturated watercourses.

Rick Blackwood
Area Manager
Public Lands and Forest Division
Alberta Sustainable Resource Development
403-297-8800
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

youngen18

Flooding at McLean
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 06:35:34 PM »
wow. That just goes to show u the power of mother. She's doing more damage then the whole offroad community :O. The only difference in the end is the offroad community tries to fix/repair the damages its done. Mother nature just expects us to clean it up. Lazy girl :/  :p