Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: To the tradespeople here  (Read 6015 times)

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
To the tradespeople here
« on: June 08, 2005, 11:32:08 AM »
What are the starting wages for trades people? Say, electricians, auto mechanics, hd mechanics, welders, etc.

With all this talk about a shortage of future trades (an me questioning my current career choice), is a trade a worthwhile investment of my time and effort?
I took some basic electronics at Sait a number of years ago (enough to learn not to lick a 9v battery, and a charged cap makes noise when its been quickly shorted). Plus I enjoy wrenching on my own jeep. But I know next to nothing about welding (it's usually hot, thats about it).

So, if I was to start apprenticing as an electrician or a mechanic, is it possible to make around 2 grand a month to cover my current expenses?
And how would I go about starting as an apprentice?

Any and all info would be appreciated.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Abrasive

To the tradespeople here
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 01:04:30 PM »
If you're like me, and the thought of manual labor and dirt under your femenine little figer nails revolts you (j/k ;) ) there are trades that don't require long apprenticeships.

I'm a draftsman. I don't make as much a a journeyman welder, but I make decent money, and I haven't been doing this for too long. It also opens up a lot of future opportunities to make some really good coin down the road, depending on what type of work you get into. Let me know if it's something you'd be interested in and I can let you know more. Some people like this kind of work, some people hate it.

Kris

Offline SwampRat

• UberWheeler
To the tradespeople here
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 01:24:39 PM »
If you don't mind doing field work and spending a lot of time out of town, first year heavy duty mechanics and millwrights would be making about $19.00 per hour plus OT plus benefits and subsistance allowance.  If you wish to know more, PM me.
I HATE mud and snow!!!!!!!
VE6DLR
VA6DLR

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
To the tradespeople here
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 01:25:21 PM »
Well, I did some drafting at Sait, layouts of pcb's and circuits and stuff. I don't mind it, I would say I'm scary good at picking up new computer skills.
But I would have to admit that I don't mind getting dirty, so long as I wash my hands before I touch a computer! :D
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
To the tradespeople here
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 02:48:14 PM »
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:24:47 PM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
To the tradespeople here
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 03:04:16 PM »
Thanks for all the input!

Trade Virus? Heh, I use computers that are virus immune, yep, they exist, they are called Macintosh :D

I'm after an honest days work, perhaps a little recognition too.

I need something that will keep me interested. I already have the same thing, day in and day out. Same poop, different day.
I have about a 6month to 1year attention span, my resume currently reflects that.
If I could marry a trade, with my scary good computer skills. Then I might be happy. But I want variety, not being in the same place every day. Outdoors work I am more than ok with. (Roofers and cribbers have the best tans! :D)
So something that is constantly changing and evolving. Repetitive tasks are inevitable I agree, but as long as I am not a monkey pushing a button all day long.
Plus the fiscal rewards have to be worthwhile, afterall, how can I keep on jeepin if I don't make any money!

Thanks for all your tips, keep em coming!

Cheers
Chris
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

xtm

To the tradespeople here
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 03:09:32 PM »
I hav had a few friends get into trades  mostly electrician for first year only start about 10-12bucks an hour , kinda hard to support much on that kind of income but can after time can make decent. I started drywall about 6 years ago and only started at 10 but after u get a ticket or good enough depending on the trade (some dont need ticket) and u can contract your own or sub contract,which can lead to a good living . This is mostly residental I am talking about . I know also that there is a huge shortage in most trades in calgary at the moment all depends what u are looking to do.

widowmaker.

To the tradespeople here
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 03:30:53 PM »
Welding app. is only 3 years. 2 months a year and if you get a good company to work for it can be almost free schooling. I have been a B presure welder now for 5 years and $80,000 is not all that hard to make. The job sucks of cource but for a person (like myself) that wasent smart enough to finish high school its not a bad thing. And right now there is so much work I could tell my boss off and should be working in 24 hours :lol: I also know that pipefitting is in high demand but it is 4 years long.

Dragonmaster

To the tradespeople here
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 07:00:35 PM »
Trades are retarded busy in and around Calgary.  1st year apprentice carpenter starts about $18-21/hr depending on work ethic and go up to an average of $36/hour for a carpenter with a ticket.  Any trade right now is a good bet as the industry across western Canada is extremely busy right now and there aren't enough people to go around.  Usually busy season around here isn't until September each year, but currently we can't get subtrades to bid anything as they are that busy.  

It's only going to get worse with the olympics hitting Vancouver and the Sask oilfield ramping up.  Wages will be going up a halthy bit int he next while as people are in very short demand.  $2000/month is very easy to bring in, heck I got about $2800/month when I was framing for $10/hour with no overtime, and that was 8 years ago.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
To the tradespeople here
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 08:56:00 PM »
You say you are "scary good with a computer" so I have to ask... why don't you want to work in the field anymore?

I work in the IT industry and feel it's a pretty good living... I also feel that there's a lack of good IT guys out there despite what some would say.  Sure there's a tons of folks who "think" they know computers... but when push comes to shove they just don't cut it.  My opinion is ... if you pay your dues in the IT world and you have a good head on your shoulders and are willing to work hard you can do pretty well for yourself.  I'm sure its the same in trades... lots of guys figure they are welders but if you truly can kick some butt with a welder you'll never be hungry.

I do totally understand the desire to learn a trade tho... I wish I had some mechanical type training... all my wrenching/mechanical skills are self taught/learned... perhaps thats why it takes me 3 or 4 tries and a ton of time to get through a project!  

Fug
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
To the tradespeople here
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 09:18:42 PM »
Quote from: "fug"
You say you are "scary good with a computer" so I have to ask... why don't you want to work in the field anymore?

Well, babysitting for one. And fixing other peoples fsckups.
As a sysadmin, regardless of what I am working on, its always the same darn thing. And to be honest, I could go and get a bunch of courses, and 'branch off' to something else, dba, security, developer. But in the end, its the same thing "this doesnt work", "we got hacked", etc...

I have a short attention span, I need variety, adding useraccounts, and rebooting a print server every week is not my idea of "creative, expressive, worthwhile work".
Breaking security so a dumbbutt sales guy can msn messenger desktop share for a client, is not my idea of "providing a solution".
Besides, being an enabler for someone who holds the purse strings, and has no frickin clue about the complexity of what I do, the beans that I juggle, and the flaming hoops I have to jump thru so he can send and receive email at home; seems like a bassackwards way of doing things. I would rather be my own boss, and bill for the hours I work.

"You get two weeks vacation when you start, and you are expected to work for over 50 hours a week to keep this crippled ship afloat, but we will only compensate you for 40". What a crock of shizzle.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I agree there are exceptions to this. Even as a contractor or consultant, its the same pile of poo that I would be dealing with. Cheapskates who want to pay for approximatly one-half of what it will really take to get it going. And then complain and badmouth me when the half-butted solution is provided. Then spend the same amount to bring in someone else, to fix it.

And don't even get me started on the recruitment side of IT. Those scumsucking bottomdwellers are part of the problem. Trying to upsell a dimwit for a bigger cut of the pie. The IT biz is in for a huge shakeup soon. Enterprise clients are starting to see the large amount of overhead that IT creates. All for what? Does the core business see any advantage, or improvement? What does WinXP on the desktop do for a frickin secretary? Licensing costs are exhorbitant. FLOSS isnt perfect either. Where can a solution be properly provided, that the customer needs, and be willing to pay for the hoops and stress that are caused by the enablers?

Fark that, I can think of better things to do with my energy. And if I can get compensated fairly and equitably for them, perfect.
I'm just sick of babying a fragile, improperly engineered, clusterfsck of an environment; so that it works. The stress created for me, in just keeping the thing running, is not worth it. I would rather build something tangible with my hands, and then be able to step back and look at it proudly.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
To the tradespeople here
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 09:53:30 PM »
Base rate for a J-man electrcian with my company is 28.50 so a first year is 14.25
Electrcian is a busy trade I've been doing it for 12 years and I've never been layed off and theres lots of side work avalible (some peaple just don't like 240 volt coursing through their bodies :lol:  :lol: )

Steve
TJ with some stuff

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
To the tradespeople here
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 10:00:16 PM »
Hmmm tell us how you truly feel  :lol:   I see you have definitely joined the dark side.  8)

I can't much disagree much with alot of what you say but being a pessimist I don't see the grass necessarily being greener elsewhere.  I tend to generally distrust unions and being in the trades its hard to avoid them.  Anytime you work for a "wage"  you're part of a machine created to make someone else rich.  Basically the only way to avoid that is to go into business for yourself and that brings with it a whole other raft of issues.

I guess I'm lucky that my position lets me act out my bitter and disgruntled feelings  :twisted:   I am part sys admin, part QA, and part Configuration Management... and according to lots of people I work with total bunghole.

I'm sure this all isn't helping you decide if you want to make a switch... but it interests me since its something I've considered in the past myself.  Never did make the switch and now I've moved up the food chain in the IT world far enough it would damn near impossible to take the salary cut to make the switch.  

Good luck deciding and if you decide you want to try another IT position... give me a shout and I'll see if there's anything I can hook you up with that plays into your sunny disposition  :wink:

Fug
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Abrasive

To the tradespeople here
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 10:18:16 PM »
On the topic of welding:
A welder that knows how to think on his feet and solve some (pretty basic) math......
A lot of companies would salivate at the thought.

It is monotonous work, and not real healthy, but a good welder/fabricator is worth his weight in gold.

Kris

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
To the tradespeople here
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 09:29:03 AM »
Thanks for all the info! This helps me out quite a bit.

Cheers
Chris
VA6CPL
Jeepless....