Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Help Resolving My MJs tire eating habbits  (Read 520 times)

Offline Layback209

• Winch Wench
Help Resolving My MJs tire eating habbits
« on: June 09, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »
Well ever since i got my rig (5 years ago) the front tires have always worn more on the insides (in the fenders) then the outside.  Its has gotton so bad that i can't afford to drive it anymore.  This is what I've done thus far:

Replaced front rotors, pads, calipers and hub assemblies over the past year
Replaced all ball joints 9 months ago
Had numerous alignments done at reputable places never really correcting the issue (just a one pop waste of $80)

So my fresh 31" cooper stt are wedge shaped worn and cupped to 50% on the inner 4.5"s of threads after 10, 000kms
Some cheep street tires i decided to put on went bald in the same spot after 3500kms :(

I really need my dd back.  See the following photos for my typical ware pattern.

Any ideas, thoughts, things i can check/measure at home would be greatly appreciated  :bowdown:

I'm buying this kit tomorrow and installing it this weekend if this doesn't work I may have to trade her in for something drivable  :help:

http://www.northridge4x4.ca/proddetail.php?prod=CE-9701

Regards,

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Help Resolving My MJs tire eating habbits
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 07:56:47 PM »
check your toe alignment!

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:29:12 PM »
severe camber or toe will cause what you have. seeing as how you've changed everythng. my guess with out seeing it in person is bent front housing, are there axle seal leaks in the front end? or someone fubar'd your alignment.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:02:46 PM »
I would try first measureing to confirm that you have a reasonable front toe setting, which is usually between  zero to 1/8 inch toed in at the fronts.

Generally when the insides of both are worn, like yours, it is from too much toe out.

After you check this out you can confirm that your setting is not chewing the tires by doing the wear test: clean a section of the tire and paint a line across the treads or stick on a piece of duct tape across the tread. Then drive around the block a few times and inspect your spot...generally if your tape/paint wears evenly then your tires will too...if not than adjust slightly and try again. I would not suggest running more than 3/8 inch toe in or 1/8 inch toe out. I think setting the toe to 1/8 toe in will solve the problem.

Also something to consider is that the y-type steering found on most jeeps results in toe changing with suspension height so adding or removing spacers etc or removing/adding significant weight can affect the toe, the lift stuff a lot, eben with just a small spacer, and the weight only slightly. After you install your lift, you will get more toe in...
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..