Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Any new projects!? Lets get something going for July 24th / 25th!  (Read 18295 times)

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
Re: Any new projects!? Lets get something going for the 24th / 25th!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 07:43:13 PM »
can we get some hammers and staples as well and fix any broken fence we find along the way?

Hey Rich,

I have some staples in my jeep that we use on my farm to hold up elk fence, if they will work, Ill be sure to bring them along. They are a pretty heavy guage, galvanized and about 1 and a half inches long... Maybe they are overkill for this application? They are yours to use if you think they will suffice.  I also have a pick and a hammer I can bring
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Rubibago

• Baby Wheeler
  • Jack Stands......saving trails everyday.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 07:48:49 PM »
I have a couple of spades and a long handled shovel or two.

Also have a pick and some pry-bars of various sizes.

I don't have a chainsaw, but do have a pretty good slitter if we need it.

I have never done this before, so if someone who has wants to post a list of tools or gear that we would need that would be great.
'98 TJ Sahara (Sorta)
'09 Rubibago

O|||||||O

Pain Killers, not just for fun anymore.

Offline Rich99

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 10:02:36 PM »
Hey Rich,

I have some staples in my jeep that we use on my farm to hold up elk fence, if they will work, Ill be sure to bring them along. They are a pretty heavy guage, galvanized and about 1 and a half inches long... Maybe they are overkill for this application? They are yours to use if you think they will suffice.  I also have a pick and a hammer I can bring

Perfect, I know SRD has lots but I am wondering if we can get a hold of Dave for them. If not lets use them we won't need that many actually.  A few dozen just to fix up anything that might have fallen should be good. We will just patch as we see it needing some repair.

Does anyone have a chain saw?
Rich.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 10:07:26 PM »
Blair may have a stockpile of fencing staples and fencing wire  somewhere.

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
Re: Any new projects!? Lets get something going for July 24th / 25th!
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 05:54:42 PM »
If the rain keeps up you'll have a lot of draining to do, but where are you going to drain it all to?

Offline Shouldabeenaboy

• Stocker
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 10:00:16 AM »
Hi Guys - I'm in!  Let me know when and where and what to bring!

Offline DirkB

• Winch Wench
  • Dod eat Dog ... eat Cat too
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »
I am game too ... but seeing I will be flying back from Seattle on Saterday, i will only be able to help out on Sunday ...

Greetz

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 01:07:35 PM »
Maybe we could put up a bunch of signs...like trail markers, so people on the trails dont get lost or confused and head down a non marked trail...im sure the SRD has signs they would let us use!!
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 06:49:44 PM »
Between "Trail Closed" and "Quad Only" signs I'm sure ASRD has an over abundance of those signs and I'm sure they'd be more than tickled if 4x4 clubs were to help put them up. I think the quad clubs must be getting tired of putting them all up by themselves, when they have all the trails in Indian Graves to block to anything bigger than them..

Offline Rich99

• Budget Lift
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »
Sunday July 25th Trail Mend Project - lets see if I can get this organized. There are a raft of people here who have committed and want to help out on this. If the exec doesn't have any objections we can go out on Sunday July 25th. They can sanction it at the next exec meeting.

We can meet at McLean Store at 9AM and spend the day scouting trails, draining water holes and fixing any fence that appears to need work. I am guessing it will be a fun day mostly with stops to mend trails and fences when required. No one should be too over worked if everyone pitches in and people take turns. The exec can sanction this run on the 21st at the general meeting.

Here is what we will need - please put your name forward for these if you can.

1. Experienced member who knows the trails at Mclean and who can also lead the run on Sunday the 25th of July. Some one who can manage the run as an official CJA project run.  If you are a member who has led before put your name forward.
2. Someone who can be the lead on mending decisions... which holes to fix and the approach.
3. Someone to commit to bringing a chain saw - more than one person would be great. Sometimes you just need a chainsaw to get those logs untangled.
4. Every vehicle brings a spade on the run and commits to helping drain any holes, picks are also a good idea if you have one. We don't want the same guys digging every hole. Post in this thread if you are committed to working on this.
5. At least three people on the fence brigade - bring a hammer and supply of stapes that we can use to mend falling down fences (tliguana has committed to the staples).
6. The run leader will need help with mid and tail gunner duties. He/she will also specify the minimum requirements.

Lets see if we can get this off the ground.

Oh yes, since this a get down and dirty run you will likely need rain gear and extra clothes. Unfortunately there is no way to dig out a mud hole and stay squeaky clean.

Rich.

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 08:00:04 PM »
Sunday would work great for me Rich, and yes I definately have the staples!  I can also commit to bringing a hammer, and a shovel. As for a chainsaw... I dont mind renting one if we need, the cost is justifiable for the work we are doing. Ive had enough experience on the farm with them to know how to run them safely, and I dont have an issue using one on the trail. If no one has one that is able to bring one, this is an option I dont mind pitching in for.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:05:02 PM by tliguana »
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »
I can't make it out but you will also need some barb wire.  Not much but 50ft or so would be good to have.  It's a pain to carry but...

There is a piece of fence that was cut open along last project recently.

After the SnS, I'm sure we can get some from the SRD yard.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Rubibago

• Baby Wheeler
  • Jack Stands......saving trails everyday.
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 08:38:59 PM »
I am in and can bring:
2x Spade
1x Pick
2xPry Bars (different sizes)
1x Hammer

I think rosko has a chainsaw, and maybe we can convince him to come out.

As for anything else, I got a strong back and weak mind, so point me at the work.
'98 TJ Sahara (Sorta)
'09 Rubibago

O|||||||O

Pain Killers, not just for fun anymore.

Offline DirkB

• Winch Wench
  • Dod eat Dog ... eat Cat too
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
Well any of my 'material' is not going to arrive from Belgium before 2011 ...
So I will see if I can go and buy something quickly  ...

PS: No chainsaw's for me ... trust me it is a safer world out there like that :-)

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 10:04:25 PM »
Between "Trail Closed" and "Quad Only" signs I'm sure ASRD has an over abundance of those signs and I'm sure they'd be more than tickled if 4x4 clubs were to help put them up. I think the quad clubs must be getting tired of putting them all up by themselves, when they have all the trails in Indian Graves to block to anything bigger than them..
Before we know it there will be stop signs and a round a bout!