Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Any new projects!? Lets get something going for July 24th / 25th!  (Read 18270 times)

Offline Rich99

• Budget Lift
Re: Any new projects!? Lets get something going for July 24th / 25th!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 10:18:26 PM »
I can't make it out but you will also need some barb wire.  Not much but 50ft or so would be good to have.  It's a pain to carry but...

There is a piece of fence that was cut open along last project recently.

After the SnS, I'm sure we can get some from the SRD yard.

Kevin, do you have a contact for Dave or know someone at SRD I can contact to go pick up some barbed wire and staples?
Rich.

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 06:30:34 AM »
Between "Trail Closed" and "Quad Only" signs I'm sure ASRD has an over abundance of those signs and I'm sure they'd be more than tickled if 4x4 clubs were to help put them up. I think the quad clubs must be getting tired of putting them all up by themselves, when they have all the trails in Indian Graves to block to anything bigger than them..

Seriously?  Is sarcasm all but lost in this place...you put up signs posting trails and SRD will shut em down or limit what we already have...if you guys are planning to a "make your own trail cleanup adventure" , you may want to check with not only CJA exec..but other clubs ..(highriders,ECO, etc) ..and help them with what they have planned...You earn no brownie points with the CJA ( i hope) by crowding a trail with 10 noobs in stock (or close to) jeeps, trying to gain access to a club...If you guys are serious about what you have planned, pitch in to the other clubs cleups, maint etc...planning you own whatever you want to call it-gung ho-cleanup-brownie points crap is not actually going to help.
Better yet, take the time to plan ahead, take the days off planned for cleanup etc and pitch in.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 06:38:13 AM »
Opps...except for fixing fenceline...but you really arenmt going to call SRD for this are you...maybe ask if they want to come out too..(maybe throw a house party to and invite the cops???) Hey Rich99...how many exec mebers are going to attend your event? Im going to come out too..i will bring the brownies...

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 07:32:19 AM »
Opps...except for fixing fenceline...but you really arenmt going to call SRD for this are you...maybe ask if they want to come out too..(maybe throw a house party to and invite the cops???) Hey Rich99...how many exec mebers are going to attend your event? Im going to come out too..i will bring the brownies...

WOW !!!!!!!!!! its a trail mud hole drain and fix a fence day ..............not call SRD and have our trails shut down !!! .........where are you going to be this day Apeman we will try not to get in your way blocking the trail with our noobish selfs
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)
With A BIG dent in the door......

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 07:40:09 AM »
And is Kevin not an Exec ?? Im sure he is !!! Read the posts apeman  ;)
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 07:50:06 AM »
Kevin, do you have a contact for Dave or know someone at SRD I can contact to go pick up some barbed wire and staples?

Does that answer your question? 

By the way if you wantme to attend, i will be there....and if you read kevins response...he wont be there.

And if you need to know, im sure in the past 12 years i have been wheeling in mclean and waip, i have seen what drawing attention from the SRD does to our trails...if you have questions i will be free sat to answer them.
Dont judge someone by the number of posts they have Newb...some of us forgot more about jeeps than you will ever know.

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 07:55:39 AM »
im not judging  by the number of posts  we need to fix the fence if asking Dave from the SRD for staples and wire  (the guy we gave that stuff to at the end of the last project ) is going to cause such dispair in your life .....Then yes you can come help out on Saturday bring the staples and wire !!!!
we wanted to put up signs and such but then after a short discusion it was decided that it would bring to much attention to the trails

which is the reason were going to drain some holes and fix a fence or two

so just relax its not that big of a deal  ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:01:19 AM by OffRoadNewbie »
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 08:14:29 AM »
we wanted to put up signs and such but then after a short discusion it was decided that it would bring to much attention to the trails

Well no crap sherlock...guess what the SRD looks for...signs that a trail has been used...therefore making an environmental impact...Is it going to make an impact on my life..yes!! i have been on those trails for 10+ years, and want to continue to use them....so you and the band of Trail Saviors should re-think the impact that has on the whole community.

I guarantee that not one of you has been to an AURS Meeting...especially the one that was prior to the closure of the Waip/Ghost area...we gathered, we fought, we argued, and worked...and SRD took the trails...

Is there an engineer working on said drainage you plan? Is the runoff going into the streams? Or are you just going to dig and Voila!! No more giant mud holes!! If the new jeepers need volunteer hours, stick to what is scheduled, because it is engineeered for what is needed for the trails at that time in the season....dont round up a posse, try to save the trails, and cash in your kiss arse points.
You end up joining a club that has nowhere to wheel...

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 08:20:36 AM »
Well then its good that your going to be there to over see anything that may cause said damage see you then  ;D
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 08:30:23 AM »
Its funny i have seen the CJA Execs reading this but noone is posting what does the CJA think of these ideas ...........i think that there opionion is one that matters more to me

apemans opionion matters as well but i think i would like to hear what CJA says
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2010, 08:41:55 AM »
Well then its good that your going to be there to over see anything that may cause said damage see you then 

WOW!! And you are a member? 

Go ahead...maybe you can get a grater in there and smooth out any rough spots in the trail...what do i know...You guys just rip up the trails as you see fit...you are truly doing us all a favor...

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 08:49:14 AM »
WOW!! And you are a member?  

Go ahead...maybe you can get a grater in there and smooth out any rough spots in the trail...what do i know...You guys just rip up the trails as you see fit...you are truly doing us all a favor...

This was all just a simple day out ..........fix a fence ........drain off a couple of over filling mud holes  pretty simple really allmost just an excuse to get out there.... instead of just ripping it up trying to help it ....rather then ripping it up and trying to do something about it when SRD says were shutting it down .........like they did on you at said meeting that i didnt attend

i mean really EVERYTHING  that has been brought up  has been shut down ....do to well it might draw to much attention
so nothing gets done
maybe we should all sit back and do NOTHING untill its to late then try and do something
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:52:23 AM by OffRoadNewbie »
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 08:56:21 AM »
im done discussing it ill leave it to the execs ...........you make valid points but on the same token its a few shovels not a back hoe ...i guess we will see what they say
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 09:07:28 AM »
Fixing fencelines, yes...draining mud holes no! Unless you have someone who has bio-engineered what is being done, then it should not be done...the shut down most of waiporous because of unsettling creekbeds from our mud/dirt contaminating streams...brridges were built...and still no...there is damage to the area done by simple draining out mud holes...that water and mud /silt blah blah has to got somewhere...unless someone with knowledge of what that repair is going to do in the next 2-5 years approves it, then dont start digging it out...for all you know, you, and the 8 newest, and most eager jeepers , are going to dig into something...and with next years spring rainfall, could turn that minor mudhole into a washout..a new 3 foot flowing creek....give water somewhere to go it becomes a creek...and unpassable..
For all i care, you guys just want to head out and start digging, clean up the neighbourhood....well some of us have lived in the neighbourhood a long time...and know you dont just go tearing things down.

Please all newbies reading this...there is more to consider than just fixing mud holes..we have lost alot of trails, dont contribute..put your time into a planned CJA Trail event.

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 09:19:14 AM »
Fixing fencelines, yes...draining mud holes no! Unless you have someone who has bio-engineered what is being done, then it should not be done...the shut down most of waiporous because of unsettling creekbeds from our mud/dirt contaminating streams...brridges were built...and still no...there is damage to the area done by simple draining out mud holes...that water and mud /silt blah blah has to got somewhere...unless someone with knowledge of what that repair is going to do in the next 2-5 years approves it, then dont start digging it out...for all you know, you, and the 8 newest, and most eager jeepers , are going to dig into something...and with next years spring rainfall, could turn that minor mudhole into a washout..a new 3 foot flowing creek....give water somewhere to go it becomes a creek...and unpassable..
For all i care, you guys just want to head out and start digging, clean up the neighbourhood....well some of us have lived in the neighbourhood a long time...and know you dont just go tearing things down.

Please all newbies reading this...there is more to consider than just fixing mud holes..we have lost alot of trails, dont contribute..put your time into a planned CJA Trail event.

posting this up in the first place might have been a better idea than attaking peoples ideas. i am the one that suggested draining some of the bigger mud holes because it was explaned to me that draining was better than letting the mud hole grow and continue to erode land that way. it would be nice to here from some one that knows the environmental impact on this matter not just peoples opinion.

this does seem to be a "make work project" and if the newbies are thinking that this counts toward membership they might be dissapointed because it is not a official "trail project" with the cja. (could an exect please confirm or deny this for me?)

i totaly agree that we should look into this as an option but maybe it needs to be thought out more.

my suggestion was just that this might be an option for work projects, and unfortunately i cannnot attend because my jeep is leaking oil and i will not take it on the trail when it is leaking.

Pook