Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Dana 44 Fluid Replacement  (Read 11987 times)

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
Dana 44 Fluid Replacement
« on: July 12, 2010, 02:12:58 PM »
So....when I got the mechanical inspection done on my Jeep, they told me the diff fluid was dirty....also the front diff has a little fluid seeping through the seal.

The last time I had to change differential fluid was on my car, and it was simple...there was a fill plug, and a drain plug.  Only real "rule" to follow was to break open the fill plug first (otherwise you've drained all your fluid, and then notice the fill plug is seized...not good).

Unfortunately I see on the Jeep that I'm going to have to crack open the diff cover to drain it, as far as I understand.  Also I've read / heard that anytime you go through mud, you should be changing your diff fluid, so since I'm planning on offroading most summers, that could end up being quite a few fluid changes.

So... are there any companies out there that make armoured diff covers that also include a drain plug?  Looking at the NorthRidge4x4 site, I can't see any.
...and with a little more searching I found this thread on JeepForums.com

Anyone have any thoughts on the Ruff Riders products? has anyone used, or at least heard of them before?  I'm impressed at the price.... $115 for a D44 diff cover with countersunk plugs and a drain plug (+ shipping).

...and in my quest to find more information, it turns out there might actually be a drain plug on each of my diffs, making this all moot.
[http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mods/JKmods/Rockcrusher_cover/rockcrusher.htm]Installing Dana 44 Rock Crusher Diff Covers[/url] - shows a drain plug on the side of the 44's in their pictures.

So to change my questions slightly...should I pull the covers and replace the seals (since my front diff is seeping a little).
Also, is the seal an actual paper/plastic/whatever gasket, and where's the best place to buy a new gasket (pricewise), or is it only sealed with liquid gasket?
Is it worth getting something like this: LubeLocker D44?

Thanks!

p.s. sorry for the randomness of my thoughts, I decided to do more research on my own before juts asking for people's help :p
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:26:16 PM by FiEND »
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Dana 44 Fluid Replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:52:29 PM »
i use the lube lockers and love them, they work great! replacing your diff oil everythime you go into mud might be a bit exesive, i try to replace about twice a year.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:58:35 PM »
i use the lube lockers and love them, they work great! replacing your diff oil everythime you go into mud might be a bit exesive, i try to replace about twice a year.

If you are going through A LOT of mud and water you need to check your diff fluid after every trip and change accordingly. 
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:52:01 PM »
ARB makes the diff covers you want.  kinda easy to find, they are usually on the front page of most parts websites.

They even colour matched my Jeep....it's like they were meant for me :D

I didn't notice the drain plug the first time I checked...wasn't as noticeable on the picture on the product page....I was also expecting a 1/2" square socket plug as per my diff on my car.  Thanks Fiend!

Unfortunately they're twice as pricey as the Ruff Stuff covers, but I'm guessing they are worth it.  Might have to do an order through Northridge soon...probably can't get them before the show and shine though. :(

Excellent, that's good to hear!  I'm still not sure what direction to take (lets be honest, the liquid gasket that Al posted is a lot cheaper), but I'm glad to hear they work.

Thanks again guys, also good to know to visually inspect the fluid after every run, and only change as is necessary.

p.s., I'm sure I could find it searching, but what oil do you recommend?  Assuming that I'll be changing it somewhat regularly, I don't see any reason to use synthetic fluids, so do you guys just buy the cheapest dino oil that's the appropriate weight?  Thanks!
BlackAura (Kevin)

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
Unfortunately they're twice as pricey as the Ruff Stuff covers, but I'm guessing they are worth it.  Might have to do an order through Northridge soon...probably can't get them before the show and shine though. :(

Wow....just noticed that Northridge4x4.com (in Washington) has a combo package, Front and Rear ARB covers, and Front and Rear Lube Lockers for $336 USD.  The Canadian website doesn't have a combo package like that, but I'll call Stan tomorrow to see what he can do (everyone on this site has recommended calling him, as he can usually get a little better pricing than what the website says due to the always-shifting dollar).

If for some reason he can't, well, I've planned a road trip down there at the end of August to visit some friends in Seattle, so I'll just order them shipped to my friends....but I do like to support the local businesses and I'm sure we'll be able to work something out.
BlackAura (Kevin)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:26:50 PM »
As far as fluid goes, check your owner's manual. If you anticipate changing it often (mud/water), then run dino oil for sure. Synthetic is not cheap.

I got the Riddler diff cover bundle from Northridge just recently. 2 X Riddler D44 covers and 2 LubeLocker D44 gaskets for $250.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 08:32:21 AM »
All rubi 44's have a drain plug on the bottom, facing sideways.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 11:56:51 AM »
Why are you wasting $336USD on diff covers with a drain plug?  If you are dropping the fluid, you should be under there inspecting for damage...and if you are gonna ding the factory cover, you arent gonna like a minute scratch on your pretty ARB cover.  Seriously...arent there better upgrades you can spend the money on? 
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 12:36:01 PM »
Eep, sorry, super busy so I didn't get a chance to reply yesterday.

Thanks Bnine!  Looking at a guide that explained how to change your diff covers, they mentioned the D44's have drain plugs to the side, so I went and checked mine, sure enough, there they were.  This is going to be super easy, compared to the car....I love having room to work underneath the vehicle :D

So because of that, like Apeman said, I kind of decided that there really is no reason, at least right now, for me to drop the money on the covers :P
Just like you said, there are more important things to get.

In case anyone is wondering, I talked to Stan yesterday, he said the ARB covers are backordered, and he has no idea when they'll be in, but he can do a package deal like their US site has.  He also has the Riddler diff covers, like W Squared mentioned, and can do a package deal on them too.

So, for me at least, in order to be "cost effective", I plan on picking up a bucket of cheap dino gear oil (hopefully good for a few changes), a gear oil hand pump, and some black rtv gasket maker on my way home today.
BlackAura (Kevin)

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
the covers aren't for convenience, the covers are because when you go BBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG on a rock ledge, you aren't F*&CKED on the trail.  the nice magnetic dipstick and drain plug on the ARB are an added bonus that makes them really attractive.  and like anything, they rust so no one should care about a few scratches.

I have $3000 + worth of parts to protect in my diffs so $400 aint a lot in armor.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 08:50:35 PM »
+1. Diff covers aren't to look kewl....the idea with an upgraded diff cover is to keep your diff fluid on the inside of the diff. The stock diff covers aren't exactly beefy, and they're susceptible to "peeling". A good aftermarket diff cover will stand up to a lot more in the way of cuddling with rocks.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »
I also totally agree with your statements guys, but where do you think this should be on the priority list?  I'm fairly new to this, and so far my mod's are pretty much a CB and a roof rack, both of which came with the Jeep.

I'm currently in the midst of making a list of everything I'd love to have, along with some "affordable compromises".  I.e. the ARB covers vs the Riddler covers.  Riddlers definitely fall into the "more affordable" list.

I also need to budget to see how much I can actually afford to put towards this monthly...also trying to save for my own place :P

My list, which I'm sure is missing stuff, looks something like this:
- Swaybar Discos or Currie Anti-Rock
- Metal Fenders (pretty sure I'll be getting the flat bushwackers like Kevin has)
- Nerf Bars / Rock Sliders (pretty sure I'll be contacting Brink for a set of his)
- Diff Covers
- Front Bumper
- Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier
- Winch / Winch Plate
- Recovery Equipment (get them to throw some stuff in when I do a big order, hopefully)
- Hi-lift Jack
- Secure storage in the back (ideally by the end of August, since I plan on road tripping....soft top / topless would be super nice for some of the parks I'm planning on driving through)
- Tools / misc parts, once I have an idea as to what I'll need, to put in the storage area.
- Thinking of doing one of the welding courses in the fall at SAIT so I can mess around fabricating my own stuff.

Not to mention bigger tires, body lift, suspension lift, motor lift, tummy tuck, cv driveshafts. :P

I mean, from doing the 101, I know I won't be wheeling on my own.  In fact, I'm pretty much sticking to open runs, or organized ones that have people I know and a CJA exec or two.  I think my stock bumpers should be fine for a while, also I shouldn't need to do a lift right away.  The 31" tires on the Rubicon should be okay around McLean, and I'm hoping they'll last at least until spring.  In fact, I probably won't look at lifts until the tires are done and I'm debating what I want to get for new tires.

Homemade swaybar discos are probably next on my list, because they're so easy and cheap to make.  After that, to be honest, I'm not sure where I plan on going with my build.  I know on the 101 I didn't do the crack because after watching Kevin I figured for sure I'd destroy my fenders...so I'll look into getting those bushwackers.  Plus some "side steps" would be nice, and Brink's rock sliders have nerf bars and look super nice.

So yeah, I still need to organize the list, probably by cost, things that go together, what I hear from you guys, what I read about online, and what gets damaged.

If my front diff seepage can be fixed by scraping away the old gasket and putting some new rtv on it and resealing it, then I figure it's a fairly cost effective solution for now.

Also I should probably mention that the Jeep is my daily driver in the winter, so I'm only planning on offroading it / doing large mod projects on it when I have other vehicles to drive in the spring/summer (but I can still save up, and buy parts, in the winter).

...cuddling with rocks.

so comfy...
BlackAura (Kevin)

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 12:55:16 AM »

i second that .. on a rubi /DANA 44 front and rear there are drain plugs on the bottom right nest to the pinion

pull those drain the fluid . replace plug and fill untill it starts to come out of the fill hole
simple easy ..

if your gaskit is leaking then pull cover after draining fluid clean both surfaces and apply high heat sealant . replace cover let sit for a few m inutes . then fill with fluid

very easy
and get used to change fluid at least 2 - 3 times ayear if you plan on wheeling alot
might be a good idea to go with a thicker fluid as well  dont bother with
synthetic  to much money and youll be still replacing it often
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 08:45:13 AM »
priorities

- Swaybar Discos or Currie Anti-Rock - luxury, easy to get out and unbolt for a few years like most people
- Metal Fenders (pretty sure I'll be getting the flat bushwackers like Kevin has) - luxury
- Nerf Bars / Rock Sliders (pretty sure I'll be contacting Brink for a set of his) - you have some on your rubi, but better ones down the line is a good idea
- Diff Covers - important
- Front Bumper - important for winch
- Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier - luxury unless you go above 33, otherwise can make stock carrier work
- Winch / Winch Plate - important
- Recovery Equipment (get them to throw some stuff in when I do a big order, hopefully) - $75 at princess auto for the basics (prob only things you would need)
- Hi-lift Jack - bottle jack or screw jack are better if you are stock height

1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon