Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: wha tire size for stock sahara unlimited  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
wha tire size for stock sahara unlimited
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:51:58 AM »
my bud has a stock sahara unlimited(2009) that cam with the 255/70r18(about a 32) and is wanting to go to a larger tire.

without a lift or changing the gears, what would be a good mix between drivability and offroad size.

I was thinking something like a 33 or slightly bigger maybe like a 265-275/70r18. I would almost assume that should fit ok.
not much bigger, but doable, or maybe even a 285/65r18, its about 1/2 and inch past what is recomended for the stock rim, but would likely work no problem.

I just said until he decided if he wants to lift it much to do a small lift and about a 33 and it should work ok.

any suggestions on what will fit well on the stock wheels.

97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

shayu

Re: wha tire size for stock sahara unlimited
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »
You can put  33'' tires on without any lift.But if the tire goes any wider than the stock size,you have to change a new rim,or put some wheel spacers on.
For the stock rim with 6.25'' backspacing, some jk owners claim even  the 255/70/18 stock tires will rub the brake line when at a full turn.

here is some q&a about jk wheel and tire.
Q: What is the biggest size tire I can fit on my stock Jeep JK Wrangler?
A: The largest tire size that the factory recommends is a 255/75R17 (which comes standard on Rubicon models) or a 32x10.50. However, there are many Jeep JK Wrangler owners who are currently running as big as 285/70R17 or 33x10.50's with little to no rubbing issues.

Q: What is the biggest size tire that I can I fit with a 2.5" Budget Boost?
A: 33" without any problems and 35" tires with only minor rubbing at a full flex. Depending on how wide your tires are, you may experience some rubbing at a full turn especially if you did not install an adjustable front track bar and/or are still running factory wheels which have 6.25" of back spacing.

Q: What is the biggest size tire that I can fit with a 3" lift?
A: 35" tires and depending on what lift kit you have, you may still experience some minor rubbing up front at a full flex and when turning.

Q: What is the biggest size tire that I can fit with a 4" Lift?
A: 37" tires but you will need to trim the rear corner of the rocker pinch seam and you may still experience some minor rubbing at a full flex.

Q: Will 15" Wheels Fit on my JK?
A: Most steel ones will fit without any problems and depending on the thickness of the wheel most aluminum ones will as well. The only thing you really need to make sure is that the wheel clears the brake calipers.
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=17449

Q: What back spacing will I need on my wheels in order to clear 12.50 wide tires?
A: I would recommend that you do not exceed 4.75" of back spacing and even at that, you may still have some minor rubbing up front at a full turn. Also, I would recommend that you do not go any less than 3.75" as anything less would cause your tires to stick out very far past the fender flares. Any back spacing within this range should work out great.

Q: What is backspacing?
A: The distance measuered from the mounting surface of your wheel to the outside edge of the rim - see diagram below.

Q: What are wheel spacers?
A: Wheel spacers are rings measuring 1.25"~1.5" thick, are typically made out of billet aluminum and are designed to be sandwiched in between your Jeep's axles and wheels. By installing wheel spacers, you will effectively reduce the amount of back spacing your wheels have allowing you to install wider than stock tires without having to replace your factory wheels.

Q: Are wheel spacers safe to use or do they cause extra stress on your axle or wheel bearings?
A: High quality wheelspacers, the kind that bolt up to your axle first are no more dangerous or cause any more stress to your axles then would a wheel with less backspacing. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about and I have yet to hear a single good or specific explanation as to exactly how they are worse. Just to be clear, the cheap-o spacers (the kind that you can get at PepBoys and are sandwiched between your wheel and axle using the existing wheel studs) are in fact EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. These cheap-o spacers leave little thread for your lug nuts to hold onto and can fail. DO NOT USE THESE!

Q: On the road, what PSI should I be running in my tires?
A: For optimal comfort and even tire wear. you should not run the recommended PSI listed on the sidewalls of your tires. Typically this will be way too much. On average for a 33" tire, I would recommend that you run your tires at approximately 28-30 PSI. For a 35" tire, I would recommend running approximately 26-28 PSI. For a 37" tire, I would recommend approximately 24-26 PSI.

Q: On the trail, how much should I air my tires down to?
A: Typically, I recommend that people air the tires down to about 10~15 psi.

Q: What are all the factory wheels that are available for the JK?
A:Factory wheel type and sizes listed below:

X Standard
Painted Steel - Size 16 x 7.0

X Optional
Painted Cast-Aluminum - Size 16 x 7.0 (2007)
Painted Cast-Aluminum - Size 17 x 7.5 (2008)

Sahara Standard
Painted Cast-Aluminum - Size 17 x 7.5

Sahara Optional
Painted Cast-Aluminum - Size 18 x 7.5

Rubicon Standard
Machined Cast-Aluminum - Size 17 x 7.5

Backspacing on all factory wheels is 6.25"

Q: Will a 33" tire fit on the factory spare tire mount without causing any warping or damage to the tailgate or mount?
A: You should be just fine with a 33" spare tire especially if the sidewalls of it is making good contact with the rubber isolators on the tailgate. The isolators will help prevent the jiggling of the tire and that is ultimately what will cause you problems down the road.

Q: What size are the lugs nuts used and what socket will I need to remove/install them?
A: The lug nuts you will need are 1/2"-20RH and you will need a 3/4" or 19mm socket to remove/install them.

Q: How many foot pounds should I tighten my lug nuts to?
A: You should tighten your lug nuts to 95 ft. lbs. of torque.

Q: Is there any advantages to running a larger rim size vs. a smaller size?
A: Yes, a larger rim size will reduce tire sidewall flexing and this will provide better handling on pavement. On the trail, less sidewall flex can also help to make your Jeep feel more stable on off camber situations.

Q: Are all rims the same or is there a certain type of rim for offroading?
A: So long as you can mount your tire on it, a rim is pretty much a rim. Some Jeepers prefer to run steel wheels as they are typically much more affordable, are easy to touch up and will bend as oppsed to breaking but, they also tend to be heavier than aluminum. The one thing I would recommend is that you try and get a rim that is about 8" in width. The narrower width will help keep your tires from loosing a bead when aired down for the trail.

Q: How do you determine what size tire will fit what size rim correctly?
A: Typically, most off road tires come in a 12.50" width and for the most part, a 10" wide rim is what you would want. However, unless you are running beadlocks, I would recommend that you select a wheel that is 8" in width or there abouts. When aired down for the trail, the narrower width will help prevent your tires from loosing a bead.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:33:01 AM »
and look at this... it's just CRAZY

http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=3724.msg19464#msg19464

Thanks

Hey Dom, the link to this thread is USELESS, it is for a TJ, the post was asking about JKs, GOD IDIOT  ;D ;D
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »

anything can fit with some creativity...................

and a sawzall
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:23:39 AM »
40's, no lift  ;D
Gearing and HP will help

Jeep
With stuff

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »
40's, no lift  ;D
Gearing and HP will help

is that thing real?!?!?!?  I am not good at identifying photochop fakes, but if that is real it just redefined incredible.
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
Hey Dom, the link to this thread is USELESS, it is for a TJ, the post was asking about JKs, GOD IDIOT  ;D ;D

It's been a while that I told someone to use search ... same crap .... JK, TJ , WJ... Liberty, patriot... same stupid round lights peices of crap. ;) ;D

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:39:30 PM »
Yes it's real it's been made by jeep for  fun. But I don't think I would call it a jk it's is very heavyly modded in the body. Different hood, fender, flares, the list goes on and on. Lots of info out there but look at the first post it contains all the info for it.

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 03:41:18 PM »
It's been a while that I told someone to use search ... same crap .... JK, TJ , WJ... Liberty, patriot... same stupid round lights peices of crap. ;) ;D

roflmao!!!!!  Thanks  :) ....you just made my day...I think I shed a tear I was laughing so hard. ;D
2006 Rubicon LJ (Unlimited) Mostly Stock

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 11:05:49 PM »
I did some quick searching, but was headed out the door a few minutes later, so I figured I would just ask and get my answer that way.

and thanks for the helpful answer shayu.

so a slightly taller tire will work not to bad, but it is teh width that is going to do it for the jk's without new rims and a lift.

good to know.

that is kinda what I have been saying too.
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 06:03:25 AM »
SERIOUSLY??   Is this tech talk or new jeep owner hand holding?    Does anyone use the google search button anymore to ask inane questions?  Is this the best tech the club has to offer? i hope not, because with the stroker motor and new SA build, i would hate to get blank stares...
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
I just wanted to know what would fit well without changing out gears and have it drive like crap, its not even mine and I haven't driven it so I don't really know what it is like when you hit the go pedal.

others who actually own them would have some good feedback so I don't try to convince him to go too big.

I know what I would have to do to go to any bigger tire on mine and what I like it to be like to drive, but not something that I haven't driven yet.

so sorry for trying to help a friend

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 11:11:35 AM »
I know steve...im sorry..im losing my mind these days...
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline getdirty

• Stocker
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 11:23:32 AM »
Im a newbie too, and this thread is good info for me since i have 08 unlimitid sahara, all stock. no mods so far. im looking around for prices for big tires that would fit my jeep without lifting it for now? any suggestions?i cant afford brand new so second hand would be great. thanks