Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Jack Stands  (Read 11143 times)

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Jack Stands
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »
Sometimes you need a combination of beer kegs, wood and jack stands   ;D

Or just use some 2x4's  :o

Jeep
With stuff

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »
Sometimes you need a combination of beer kegs, wood and jack stands   ;D

Or just use some 2x4's  :o

he would need beer kegs wood and stands if he didnt buy a ford    that thing is so useless
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline LukeDuke

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 03:24:25 PM »
1, 3tonne stand will support the entire weight of your jeep. 6600lbs to be exact. So your covered for safety sake with any 3 tonne stand. It's all a matter of how high you want to go. I use 4, 6 tonne stands for PA for the hight i need plus they will hold up the 1 ton dodge tow rig too.
1967 C101 - in 1,000,000 pieces
1973 C104 - in 2,000,000 pieces

RDJP President
http://www.reddeerjeep.com/

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 08:49:55 PM »
i learned from the BEST.  12 ton jacks for me.  if i aint mooching my good friend's hoist while drinking his beers, i can at least sit up so all the mud and oil puddles i leave on my friends' garage floors doesn't fall in my eyes and mouth (which is always open and spewing some BS)
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline DirkB

• Winch Wench
  • Dod eat Dog ... eat Cat too
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 01:52:43 AM »
I went to pick-up the 12 ton stands ... but seeing how huge these bitches are, I opted for the 6 ton ones ...
I need some urgent lifting before even thinking about getting these 12 ton stands under my Jeep :-)

Greetz ...

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 09:07:18 AM »
i have the power fist PA 2 ton jacks.
i used 4 of them in the back alley (dirt, gravel, uneven) to support my Ram 2500 in the air. i had to take all 4 tires off.
i was NERVOUS but i pushed the truck in all directions to see if it was stable. It worked.

i would do it again.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 05:53:49 PM »
i have the power fist PA 2 ton jacks.
i used 4 of them in the back alley (dirt, gravel, uneven) to support my Ram 2500 in the air. i had to take all 4 tires off.
i was NERVOUS but i pushed the truck in all directions to see if it was stable. It worked.

i would do it again.

Hairless!!!  Not worth the risk!
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 06:53:45 PM »
Hairless!!!  Not worth the risk!
meh, as i said i pushed that truck and it never budged.

Offline i_go_commando

• UberWheeler
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 08:12:27 PM »
once i get the vehicle up in the air i throw anything else i have under the frame as well. like rims blocks ect

the diferences in metal thickness is a big differnce. a vertical lift is one thing but say someethings shifts a bit when your yanking on rusty bolts. i had a cheep jack stand colapse on me when the axle that was on it caused it to twist. the jeep fell hard. i still have those jacks stands but i straigtened and guseted em. it has been recomended to mey to weld or bolt a plate of steel on the bottom for more stability. also go the biggest you can justify. you like the extra heigth.
1973 jeep commando -amc 360, 727,203/208, waggy d 44 and amc20- soa, OBA- on hiatus
1958 fc 170 cabover quad cab 3/4 pickup.continetal engine/ 700r4/ dana 300 current project

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 10:12:18 PM »
meh, as i said i pushed that truck and it never budged.

Sudden catestrophic failure seldom gives warning...I'm sure that this would work but it would not be "safe" by a proper definition, although I'm sure the guy with the kegs would consider it top notch. Pushing it from side to side tests stability not weight bearing abilty. Just for changing tires I guess you could probably overload the jackstands a fair bit (I wouldn't) but I personnally wouldn't get under a vehicle and start reefing on stuff unless the jacks were at least rated for double the weight of the vehicle. It's not the liklihood of the failure, it's the result of the (unlikely) failure to consider.  Also what if the jackstands are compromised by overloading now and may not be as safe even with their proper load?
There is also the age and condition of the stands to consider...
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 10:32:54 PM »
Sudden catestrophic failure seldom gives warning...I'm sure that this would work but it would not be "safe" by a proper definition, although I'm sure the guy with the kegs would consider it top notch. Pushing it from side to side tests stability not weight bearing abilty. Just for changing tires I guess you could probably overload the jackstands a fair bit (I wouldn't) but I personnally wouldn't get under a vehicle and start reefing on stuff unless the jacks were at least rated for double the weight of the vehicle. It's not the liklihood of the failure, it's the result of the (unlikely) failure to consider.  Also what if the jackstands are compromised by overloading now and may not be as safe even with their proper load?
There is also the age and condition of the stands to consider...

i like the jackstands at pick'n pull;  you know, a couple rims welded together; they seem to be plenty strong and people wrench under them all the time...........
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 10:44:22 PM »
i like the jackstands at pick'n pull;  you know, a couple rims welded together; they seem to be plenty strong and people wrench under them all the time...........

the range of height adjustment on those is a little lacking though i'd say
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 12:14:21 AM »
Once I have the rig up in the air,  I shake the crap out of it to make sure it is stable.  If it isn't, I redo it again.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 04:45:39 AM »
Once I have the rig up in the air,  I shake the crap out of it to make sure it is stable.  If it isn't, I redo it again.

this is practiced by even the best mechanics .. even on the hoists .

they get there legs lift check again lift a few inchs off the ground and then they shake the crap out of the car/truck  while only being off the ground a few inchs if it moves to much set down and restart

its safe and you know you did all that you could to make sure it was stable

and like the guy above wrote    through other things under the frame .. when i take my tires off i toss them under the jeep or other automobile for 2 reason . if it falls it doesnt hit the ground and 2 now your no longer triping over your tires :)

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 12:28:47 PM »
Using 2 ton jacks on 4 corners is 8 tons. Unless you are holding a garbage truck... ::)