Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Jack Stands  (Read 11140 times)

Offline XJSteve

• Winch Wench
Re: Jack Stands
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »
I completely agree with over purchase. A few years ago I had 4 2 ton stands under an MGB with its engine and tranny out and was pulling at the heating system to remove from the firewall. The entire vehicle ended-up around me and on the ground (don't think for a second that you have any type of warning). It bent the base of 2 of the stands. I know you're all thinking that I was pulling with a winch or something of substance but I was simply torquing the box off. Needless to say I now buy the strongest stands I can find reasonably (6 or 12 ton) with the widest base. I've also found that part of the problem is that independent suspensions add a real challenge in finding the right location to stabilize the axle stand on given there is often no real "axle" to support from. Given there are standards in Canada for claims on weight capabilities, I don't think it really matters which brand but rather the weight limit that determines which one to buy.
'99 XJ 5.5 " Rubicon Express, 33" tires, AW4, 4.0, ARB bumpers front/rear, Warn 9000 lb winch, Rockhard rollbar, Optimal yellow top, Cobra CB, bushwacker flares, Safari snorkel; saving-up for a 3" body lift

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 10:06:56 PM »
Agreed. Take the best measures to be safe. Nothing wrong with overkill.

My point is that 2 ton jacks can work fine as long as the job they are being used for is appropriate.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Sugarphreak

• Budget Lift
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 11:06:42 PM »
i got four 6 ton jack stands from PA there great  and they lift high enough to reach the frame lots of support and wide base means they are stable

I got these as well, I use them for my truck when I need to do work ... more height and more stable, plus the price is right.

http://www.princessauto.com/garage/repair-equipment/lifting-devices/1090547-6-ton-heavy-duty-jack-stands
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:09:08 PM by Sugarphreak »
I wanted a Jeep... but the wife gave me a Hummer!

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »
Using 2 ton jacks on 4 corners is 8 tons. Unless you are holding a garbage truck... ::)

I've always wondered about jackstand ratings, the wording is a little ambiguous...I think they usually state that they can support X number of pounds "in pairs"...So is this the actual weight a pair can safely support or the weight of the vehicle that the pair can support half of? And what weight can one support? Is This a max or safe working load? 

I agree that by the ratings it's total overkill, but I also think that in general with cheap chinese stuff limiting yourself to half the rating is probably a good rule of thumb...

When evaluating risk it is equally important to consider how bad the risk outcome is in addition to considering what the likelihood of the risk event occuring is.

I'm not trying to give you a lecture, it's just that this is one area where you don't ever want to have a problem...I would sooner disregard the advice of the "experts" when it comes to proper belt tension and the use of belt dressing than I would when it comes to overloading of jack stands. I can deal with having a belt wear out or become contaminated by foreign matter...I hope I never have to deal with a failed jackstand.

I would lower my vehicle onto blocks of wood before I would overload a cheap jackstand.

FWIW I would guess that the weight of a garbage truck is at least 30,000 pounds empty...you may need a little more that those two tonners, and besides they are likely too short. :-)
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »
 I would not use wood blocks . they are not rated . Seen a set of wood blocks fail on the farm as a teenager . the results where not pretty for the person working underneath. By looking at the blocks you would think they could hold up a d9 cat.  Use wood blocks for chalking the wheels

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 10:44:33 AM »
I use 3 ton canadian tire type jacks with the racheting riser.  I'll never use pins again, I hate those risky moments aligning the jack, and the rachet reduces that time.  I also have a couple odd-ball screw collar jacks - I wouldn't put more than a drive line on them but that said they are the most useful tool I have ever had for lining up heavy parts within a millimeters accuracy.

I do use blocks and wood for bases - but guess it comes down to measuring risk.  The closest I have come to toppling my jeep off the jacks was while wrestling the snot out of a siezed in front hub - temps that day got pretty hot and before I knew it the jeep started to lean.  Luckily, I noticed the jacks sinking into the pavement before it fell.  I think that's a point worth mentioning, If your working on pavement instead of concrete use a steel plate or suitable wood for blocking.  I also almost always try to leave the opposite end wheels on which makes it almost impossible for it to tip off sideways.

We use wood blocking for both plows and tandems, and the plow units alone weigh more than a typical jeep, and the whole unit together is about 30 tonnes - I think the key point here is not to use crap wood - there are three woods that I use.  I have a couple 3"x12"x12" douglas fir raw cut slabs for bases, these are cut off leftovers from the wood we use to deck our heavy equipment lowboy hauler deck (which has no trouble supporting a D6 ).  I also use blocks constructed (again cut-off leftovers) from guardrail posts lag-bolted together. To ensure a perfectly flat surface I plate the top with recycled highway sign board - this stuff has so much epoxy in it, it wont delam or crack after 20 years of exposure and I have zero concern of it ever splitting as I harvest newer peices from signs taken down in accidents. I also pilot the screws holding the deck and have one for about every 4 " squared area - despite my confidence in the wood that I use, I still take the trouble to toss a secondary block under axles just in case.  ( I saw a "faces of death" tape that had a guy die from an axle pinning and crushing his leg when I was in high school, I remember that tape everytime I jack up).

I guess the safest thing to do would be to use a couple steel 3/8 to 1/2 plates if a concrete floor isn't available,  and with anything, redundancy, is important (extra safety blocks always)
51 Willys CJ3A - V6, SM420, T18, D44/27 lockers
93 YJ, starting to see light at the end of the carport
98 ZJ, 5.2l - DD with too many go go gadgets
05 Dodge 2500HD hauler

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 12:42:17 PM »
I had my jeep fall off stands once while trying to swap axles on a gravel parking pad.  It was in my younger more desperate days before I had nice tools and a garage. Fortunatly it went slow and I just stood clear and let it go.

I find that I like the bigger beefier jacks simply for their wider footprint. More stable and less likely to sink into soft ground. I also tend to throw a tire or two under the frame and with a 36X13.5 tire that makes quite a good safty.

Quick note on jacks, don't trust them. Ever! Last year a guy at work was using a cheap mastercraft trolley jack set from Canadian Tire to do the brakes on his wife's Saturn. He was having trouble gettign the jack stand where he wanted it so he slid under the car to place it just right. The jack picked that exact moment to blow a seal and drop the car on him. Fortunatly he was able twist out and only suffered bruised ribs but was off work for two days.

When he phoned Canadian Tire to complain(it was a brand new set), they gave him a 1-800 number to call to submitt a claim. Apparently this happens all the time and they have a special line to deal with it. Got a small settlement in the end to boot. He's a red seal mechanic and felt pretty stupid. Said he'd never do that at work and couldn't figure out what possed him to do that at home....

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 12:53:50 PM »
mine only tried to fall over once.  i had put the front axle on two 6 ton PA stands.  was lifting the back to put the other 2 stands under the rear axle and the front started to tip over forwards.  almost went out the garage door but i steadied it pulling on the floor jack.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, 08:14:23 PM »
mine only tried to fall over once.  i had put the front axle on two 6 ton PA stands.  was lifting the back to put the other 2 stands under the rear axle and the front started to tip over forwards.  almost went out the garage door but i steadied it pulling on the floor jack.

I've been there.  Realized it's not worth using a lesser jack.  The wheels need to be able to move on the jack while you are lifting the vehicle to prevent the vehicle from shift it's weight.  If you are using a bottle jack it will lift straight up but a floor jack rolls to keep the vehicle in the same spot.
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2010, 11:39:19 AM »
as a follow up
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442952215&bmUID=1284744812483#BVRRWidgetID

these are on sale this week at Crappy Tire,
Certified 3-Ton Jack Kit
Jack + 2 Jack Stands
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »
as a follow up
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442952215&bmUID=1284744812483#BVRRWidgetID

these are on sale this week at Crappy Tire,
Certified 3-Ton Jack Kit
Jack + 2 Jack Stands

Looks like a good enough setup for the $$ , I guess, but I would way rather get that kinda stuff at Princess Auto...They offer a no questions asked satisfaction guarantee that doesn't even require you to have the receipt...so when that cheap jack starts leaking in 2 yrs, you can just go get a new one for free...just my 3 cents. Costco has more or less the same policy...these two stores get a lot of my business just on the strength of their return policies, you don't have to worry, buy it, try it, if it sucks, return it, if it breaks get your $$ back or a new one...no worries about whether it's good or not...if it's not, back it goes.
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »
... you don't have to worry, buy it, try it, if it sucks, return it, if it breaks get your $$ back or a new one...no worries about whether it's good or not...if it's not, back it goes.
Maybe it's just the way you worded your loco lyrical mastermind response, but it seems you value the return policy more then your own life?
Jeep
With stuff

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 12:06:34 AM »
i've been using the 6Ton PA stands for over 2 years and havent had any trouble with them, next purchase is the 14 Ton jack stands from PA so that I can raise the jeep by the body frame up higher than the 6 ton extend. its never a good idea to crawl under a car with only a jack supporting the weight of the vechicle.

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
Maybe it's just the way you worded your loco lyrical mastermind response, but it seems you value the return policy more then your own life?

I'm pretty sure both CT and PA jacks, stands etc. are for the most part made by the same company, called Shanghai Catic. I would not use any product I didn't trust...jackstands of course last almost forever, jacks generally do not, what with the seals and valves and stuff to fail. Interestingly enough, both PA and Costco do not require there to be a fault in the product to return... so you could return your stuff because "I should have bought bigger ones" or "because I bought a new truck and the colours don't match" or whatever...I'm not saying I would return a product for these types of reasons, but it is nice to buy with confidence, knowing that if it doesn't make (and keep) you happy, back it goes...unlike Canadian Tire, where if you buy certain items (such as an air compressor) and bring it back THE SAME DAY with a receipt because it has a clear defect (such as a bad weld in the tank that leaks) they will tell you that the policy manual states that all defective air compressors need to be brought to the service depot for repair. This actually happened to a friend of mine, who actually bvought the air compressor because he needed it for woirk the next day...lucky for him they agreed to "help him out" and exchange it, but personnally I would rather shop where you can buy with confidence...I still buy lots of stuff at CT, like oil, filters, etc, but not big ticket things that can break, when there are other options.

'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford