Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: My frist Jeep  (Read 4052 times)

Offline EviLAnTo

• Baby Wheeler
My frist Jeep
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »
I bought a 2000 Grand Cherokee this year back in may and i would like to make it somewhat offroad worthy.
this is my daily driver I'm hoping to visit McLean creek a few time before the snow falls, so far I'm thinking of putting on 2" coilspacers possible a new bumper and lights in. I'm haven't really had any experience in the topic and wondering if anyone has anything to look out for or recommend?

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
Re: My frist Jeep
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 06:33:04 PM »
run what ya got this year .......if you have front and rear tow pionts you should be good ......... run it how it is for awhile and that will give you an idea what you wanna do  ;D .....instead of wasting money on a lift that you may not find good enough
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)
With A BIG dent in the door......

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:45:39 PM »
The right tire makes all the difference in the world and the "right" tire is usually expensive. Make sure you budget for that, nothing looks stupider than a lifted Jeep on stock street tires. As said make sure you have proper recovery points front and rear. Being that its a Cherokee with a unibody frame make sure you get the full frame reinforcing kit or a good quality bumper that uses all the proper mounting holes.  The frame is WAY too thin to mount a tow hook to it. A trailer hitch is acceptable for a rear tow point. Also consider trimming the bumpers to prevent ripping them off on the trail.

Don't get too caught up in expensive offroad lights and rims. Get a small lift on there with some 31s on the stock rims. Take it out for a season and see how you like and decide where you want to go with it.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »
+1 on what Clay said. Tires are the #2 factor in determining offroad performance for any given rig. (The nut holding the steering wheel is the #1 factor)  ;)

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
My vote is for spacers and tires.  It will allow you to go slightly bigger.  You can go pretty far off-road with a good AT and have them out perform most other tires in the winter as far as DD goes.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline Brooneg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:46:07 PM »
That's all I did...2" spacers and front end disconects, and 31" tires.  Works great...Point of advice...get under your jeep and find your transmision breather...and extend it into your hood somewhere.  Pooched my tranny by getting water in it :(   Or as others will tell you..stay out of water that goes above your wheel wells    :-[ :-[ ::)

Offline EviLAnTo

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:42:20 PM »
im going get the spacers and decent weekend tires for now and see how it runs. ill defiantly take a look at the breather
thanks for help guys! ill keep the frame in mind too thats a very good point.