Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: BFG MT"S + Winter driving = ?  (Read 5269 times)

Offline homeguy

• Budget Lift
BFG MT"S + Winter driving = ?
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:29:45 AM »
Hi All,

I just traded in my 07 JK for a 2010 JK and it came with BFG MT's.  My question is, how good are these in the winter with all the ice we get even if the I get the tire sipped?  I read lots on other site, but never got any info from anyone here in Alberta.

Thanks for any responses!

steve
2010 Mountain Edition, ARB front and rear diff covers, BFG AT's, Vision X Solstice XILS4102 & Solo's, S-Pod switch bezel, K&N drop in filter, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Poison Spyder front bumper, OME 2" lift, Rigid Industries Dually's & D2's, M8000

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: BFG MT"S + Winter driving = ?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 10:36:19 AM »
leave yourself lots of room to stop and you'll be fine. 

also, you've got that funny looking lever thats says 4x4. when it snows and roads are crap, use it!!!!!!

i run mts in the winter for the last 5 years. never had problems.
i've also had 4x4s and/or AWD grand cherokees.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline homeguy

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:17:13 PM »
Ya just wanted some real world experience on this, thanks. 

Oh and that lever that says 4x4... won't help you stop if some idiot slams on the brakes in front of you.  MT's are for mud not ice. ;D
2010 Mountain Edition, ARB front and rear diff covers, BFG AT's, Vision X Solstice XILS4102 & Solo's, S-Pod switch bezel, K&N drop in filter, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Poison Spyder front bumper, OME 2" lift, Rigid Industries Dually's & D2's, M8000

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 12:29:18 PM »
Ya just wanted some real world experience on this, thanks. 

Oh and that lever that says 4x4... won't help you stop if some idiot slams on the brakes in front of you.  MT's are for mud not ice. ;D

this is very true.  luckily in Calgary in the winter, traffic rarely goes faster than 10k/hr so its not to big of an issue.   ::)

HATE watching people spin tires at stop lights in 4x4, icing up the intersection because they 'dont' want to put it in 4x4'  and hence, they barely make it through the intersection before the light turns, and before you know it, it takes me an hour and a half to drove to Evergreen from frickin' Chinook.  i love watching trucks spin out, go sideways and almost hit the guy beside them because, yup, 'they don't need 4x4'  and since only on or two cars get through, then i hit the gas and take off through the intersection becuase of that same lovely 4x4 system........ then coast to a stop at the next light...........

i've said it 100x and i'll say it again, if you own a 4x4 and don't use it in the winter, you should sell it and buy a civic (with winter tires)

is this sufficient enough to start another pointless interwebs debate?

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 12:55:50 PM »
is this sufficient enough to start another pointless interwebs debate?

Where did I put that popcorn?
04 TJ Rubi

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »
HATE watching people spin tires at stop lights in 4x4, icing up the intersection because they 'dont' want to put it in 4x4'  and hence, they barely make it through the intersection before the light turns, and before you know it, it takes me an hour and a half to drove to Evergreen from frickin' Chinook.

This is me cause I'm too lazy to get out of the jeep and lock the hubs.  Everyone looks at me funny cause I'm in a big 4x4 spinning out on ice and little civics on winter tires are driving around me.  Can't drive on ice with the hubs locked because of the locker, I can't steer, the jeep just goes straight.  So, when I hit that icey hill and stop at an intersection I have to get out and lock the hubs, than once I make it past the hill I get out and un-lock them.  Damn jeep!
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 02:17:36 PM »
why don't you just lock one hub?
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 04:54:13 PM »
It pulls hard to the side that you lock.
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »
Hi All,

I just traded in my 07 JK for a 2010 JK and it came with BFG MT's.  My question is, how good are these in the winter with all the ice we get even if the I get the tire sipped?  I read lots on other site, but never got any info from anyone here in Alberta.

steve

Do yourself a favour, and drive to Kal Tire at Chinook. They will sipe you nice new MT's for $30 a tire. They do good work.

Once they are siped, your MT's will work better on wet pavement, WAY better on ice, and there is no appreciable effect on wear. I siped my stock Rubi MT's when I bought my jeep. Two years later and 50,000 km down the road, they were still in great shape - lots of life left. Those tires are still living a good life on Geoff's roomate's Xterra .
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 08:14:47 PM »
My BFG Mt's are dam right scary on splippery winter roads, let alone on a wintery hwy with a side wind..  I almost crapped myself many times last year.

Offline 03Jeeper

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 12:14:29 AM »
Hi All,

steve

I have BFG MT's, and I siped them myself. I tried going to kal-tire, other members suggested it, but they don't sipe used tires(from what the guy told me), they have to be new, you can get lucky and have it done if the tires are only a few months old. But they told me no, so I bought myself a tire groover off ebay, and siped them myself. Didn't take long, and you can honestly feel the difference. I'd go for it.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 04:46:12 AM »

Ward Tires will sipe used tires if you clean them of mud/dirt and stones.$100 for 4 tires  IIRC. You don't necessarily need to buy a fancy tire groover/siper to do this job at home. I've used an el-cheapo utility blade/box cutter to do my inside lugs( cut away from you) They worked like night and day on ice-packed roads(in 4WD)at speed.

They won't work as well as a dedicated snow tire with it's multiple sipes and softer tread compound, but will get you by safely if you drive accordingly to the situations and weather conditions.

HTH.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 07:55:43 AM »
Tubby is patient so he used a box cutter. I know a guy that siped a set of pro-comps with his sawzall...and apparently it made a big difference. It doesn't have to be high tech in order to work.

My tires weren't quite new when Kal tire did them - they were on the Jeep, and had one or two thousand K on them. Their only real concern was making sure that there were not a bunch of rocks and dirt stuck in the tread.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 08:19:12 AM »
you can just do it at home with no worries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FSkFZcTWXI

Offline Sean778

• Budget Lift
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
I have run a few different tires over the years, including BFG MT KM1s in the winter.  They’re great for mud, trails, deep snow, & slush, but sometimes downright scary on ice.  I had a few highway hill climbs in the winter where I suddenly found myself looking at one ditch, then the other, and then back down the road (in my old F-150, not a Jeep  :P).  They wouldn’t be my first choice for Alberta highways and streets in the winter.

I’ve also run BFG rugged trails, which I found bad in summer, bad in winter, bad on roads, bad in ditches,  >:( can you tell I’m not a fan?  The BFG all-terrains that came with my old Ranger were great in most situations, including 4” thick Coquihalla ice; these are my second favorite multi-purpose tire.  I’ve had some Michelin (LTXs? M & S?) that came on an ‘05 Colorado,  they were better than the rugged trails, but not fantastic.  Right now I’m running Goodyear Silent armour Wranglers, the pavement princess model, not the Mud tire (on the ’08 F-150), and they are a fantastic tire.  Pricey (overpriced?), but a superior tire for road & street use in winter, and my new favorite for a DD.  That’s my personal experience.  I would consider picking up a second set of winter meats if I were you, but it’s easy for me to spend your money!  ;)

P.S. I love the precision tire siping educational film Johnny!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:11:53 PM by Sean778 »
'89 XJ