Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2010 Thanksgiving Day run  (Read 17360 times)

Offline comanche killer

• UberWheeler
  • Aaron
Re: 2010 Thanksgiving Day run
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 07:05:37 PM »
sry cant make it out for this one
95 3/4 ton Chev  dailydriver/heavy hauler
97 green MZJ custom 4link rear/3link front, FF 14 bolt rear welded, D 60 front, ax-15, np-231,custom rollcage, half doors, PSC hydro assist 14"kings 40"boggers

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 06:45:56 AM »
ok so here is the plan: we will meet at the mclean creek pond right by the store, as the store is closed and we do not want to stand in traffic. there is a little spot to pull off the dirt road that over looks the pond, we can air down and have our drivers/safety meeting there.

meeting time will be 8:30 and try to be on the trail for 9, if we keep this early then some people can bug out early and try to catch a dinner if they want.

as for what trail we are running there is none set, we wil be exploring and go wherever the group decides  :).

i have been asked if this is beginner freindly, well... yes and no we dont really know where we are going but we will not be leaving any jeeps behind. if you are not comfortable with an obstacle just let one of the trail leaders know and we can either offer you guidance or a bypass or just a tow through it.

Pook

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 08:55:38 AM »
should be a good time ;D
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 10:15:52 AM »
i have been asked if this is beginner freindly, well... yes and no we dont really know where we are going but we will not be leaving any jeeps behind. if you are not comfortable with an obstacle just let one of the trail leaders know and we can either offer you guidance or a bypass or just a tow through it.

Well said, Pook.

I should be able to join you on this run provided that I return from Moab on schedule, and I'll be happy to fill in as tail/mid gunner, or to lead a second group if there are a lot of folks there.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 10:51:01 AM »
sweet tood hope to see you there!

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 02:08:26 PM »
I am a go!  Waiting to hear back from some friends to see if I'll have any passengers.

I'll snap some pictures of my tread to confirm it's okay.

Er....also, I haven't had a chance to fix my CB yet....if anyone has one of those SWR meters, or has any insight on that, some help would be great.  I tried the leaving it on channel 19 test...never heard anything....said radio test a few times, but didn't try saying anything about truckers.  I can get static if I play with the squelch, so at the very least, something's working.
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »
we can make sure your working before we head out sunday!

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »
time for new tires kev. if you're questioning it now............ ;)

Break the piggy bank, get a BB and some 33s. gigiddy
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »
time for new tires kev. if you're questioning it now............ ;)

Break the piggy bank, get a BB and some 33s. gigiddy

I'm only questioning it because of what you said at the meeting  >:(  :P

That and how much I was sliding around in the mud a couple weeks back (fence fixing), but apparently everyone was having the same problems out there.  Slewfoot called it "suggestive steering," as in point in the direction you want to go and pray.

I'm pretty sure that I can survive the winter with the tires I have (in the sense that I won't be wheeling at all, so it'll be all pavement driving), and in the spring I can look into a lift and some tires.  Maybe a custom fender lift :D

we can make sure your working before we head out sunday!

Thanks Pook!  If someone has some time Friday evening, or maybe Saturday afternoon (although I'm not sure when, we have family coming over for dinner), I should be free to tinker with the CB / Antenna....actually, I'm not even sure if my Antenna is tunable.  I'll see what I can find out tonight.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:48:55 PM by BlackAura »
BlackAura (Kevin)

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »
I am a go!  Waiting to hear back from some friends to see if I'll have any passengers.

I'll snap some pictures of my tread to confirm it's okay.

Er....also, I haven't had a chance to fix my CB yet....if anyone has one of those SWR meters, or has any insight on that, some help would be great.  I tried the leaving it on channel 19 test...never heard anything....said radio test a few times, but didn't try saying anything about truckers.  I can get static if I play with the squelch, so at the very least, something's working.

swr doesn't affect reception.  i would take it to Dean at the road king and have him look at it.  at least then you are able to repair/replace anything bad.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2010, 04:39:52 PM »
swr doesn't affect reception.  i would take it to Dean at the road king and have him look at it.  at least then you are able to repair/replace anything bad.

Thanks Al, maybe I can sneak over there tonight if they're open and have him take a look.

I did a quick search online, and the radio I have is the Midland 1001z.

It was er...."working" on the 101 course.  We did testing, and couldn't get it to work right, but then when we hit the trials I tried it out and it was fine.

After the show and shine, Johnny said he could hear me, but I couldn't hear him...after finding the manual online and reading it, I learned that the RF gain should be at max most of the time....and I had it turned down to zero.

I pulled the unit when I pulled all the carpets for vacuuming (previous owner had a dog) and cleaned out everything.  I reinstalled it before we went to fix fences in September, and re did the power / ground cables.  It turns on, and seems to be fine, but hasn't picked up or sent a signal since.

I'm wondering now, reading on the Stu-Offroad site: "...applying a ground to the antenna will cause infinite SWR and the possibility of a burned out RF power amplifier transistor in your radio."

There's a decent chance my whip antenna may have been pushed into my roof rack front-bar mount at some point (part of which isn't painted), which grounded it, and could have caused damage.  :(
BlackAura (Kevin)

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2010, 05:30:25 PM »
yes, not good to have a short in the antenna, the radios are all cheap and don't have much protection.

as for RF GAIN.  that is debateable.  usually all it does is cause a lot of static.  for close range wheeling like we do, 1/4 to 1/2 turn is plenty.  sometimes i turn it up to hear a poor radio.  RF GAIN does nothing for transmitting.

1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Mr Tim

• Winch Wench
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2010, 10:28:19 PM »
I should be able to make it. Lookin forward to trying out the new tires  :)

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2010, 10:15:38 AM »
I should be coming. Have to check with the wife.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »
I'm in as well