Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 1989 Comanche Rebuild from Rust bucket to?  (Read 2907 times)

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
1989 Comanche Rebuild from Rust bucket to?
« on: October 16, 2010, 05:09:12 PM »
Time to show the 1989 Jeep Comanche (MJ) restoration from start to finish with some subtle mods,...

So here is the rusty POS that I found on Kijiji.ca when it was posted on CJA. I spent a whopping $50.00 to drag this cancerous demon home.

I bought this Jeep as I could justify the $50.00 as I could easily part it and recover the funds,.. now if it comes to life we can fix the rest.

So that being said this Jeep has been stolen, column smashed, been sitting for 3 years in the weeds, $60.00 later in towing the Dump Humper is home.

First things first will this bucket of bolts start and run? A battery went into the old girl,.. figured out the "hot wire" sequence and "click,...grunt" SFA happens,.. is the motor seized? Starter gone,.. I must dig deeper. Now what makes a starter engage but not allow the motor to turn over,..Seized? Well I liberally soak the cylinders with some bolt penetrating oil (why not??) and Eric my Diesel Fitter (deez-will-fit-her) asked me if I have checked the oil,.. seems simple so I did,..9 liters! So out it came and some fresh stuff went in. A fresh battery was installed , and low and behold it cranked over WHOOT! Halfway there,.. I cleaned the old plugs fixed some vacuum leaks and out came the slot blade screw driver key and a few moments later a haze of rusty black smoke reeking of stale fuel plumes from the tail pipe,. The dump humper has now moved a up status level. I changed out the injectors and installed a new column , now it starts no problem at all,.. now to face the next task,.. The Rot.
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
Re: 1989 Comanche Rebuild from Rust bucket to?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 05:10:18 PM »
Here is the Rot ,... I think I need a tetanus shot,..

www.racingforthecure.ca

1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 05:11:52 PM »
Thanks to fug for the 98 XJ doors , new column, New style rad and overflow bottle, coil springs, some locks, and a whack of other $#it. So lets address the drivers door,..

So of course all but one of the Torx door bolts come off so I made an access door on the skin and convinced the door it needed to come off

hung the 97 door only to find out the door catch was in a different spot,.. so off came the pin to test fit

I dig it,.. one piece window, power windows and locks! GIGADY!

So you will notice in the picture the door frame is cracked around the pin so that will have to be addressed,..

Welded ground and the new style catch is test fitted,..

Door adjusted and GM key lock installed to keep it true to form and because I didn't have the key for the new doors

Now onto the passenger door,..
www.racingforthecure.ca

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:36:10 PM »
That thing is ghetto fabulous. I'm impressed.