Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Need Help, PPPPLEASE read  (Read 6303 times)

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Need Help, PPPPLEASE read
« on: October 13, 2010, 07:24:53 PM »
Ok, so I busted my rear spiders on the trail run at mclean this weekend.  So Pook and everyone thought it would be the best way to break.  Replace braoken spiders with new ones easyfix, or so we thought.  Except for some reason I have some one off D35 (I thought they were all the same), but we have tried 3 sets of spiders for the 35 and all are the same and don't work.  So made a call to the gear center gave #s from the tag and can't get them in Canada.  They need to be shipped in if they can find them.  Now this Jeep is 99% street/hwy driven and I love to drive it.  SO My question is this.  If I can't get the open gears in a decent amount of time and for a reasonable price.  What is better to go with a lunchbox locker or a spool?  I know JP mag says a spool, but those guys live in Cali, I daily drive and am worrying about spinning out on icy/snowy roads.  I would prefer to run open and do NOT want to spend money on the 35.  I'm probably getting my sister in laws explorer (8.8 swap) after the winter so im looking for the cheapest/best alternative to get me driving for the winter.  You guys have the experience im looking for, mabey other alternatives I haven't thought of

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Need Help, PPPPLEASE read
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »
Ok, so I busted my rear spiders on the trail run at mclean this weekend.  So Pook and everyone thought it would be the best way to break.  Replace braoken spiders with new ones easyfix, or so we thought.  Except for some reason I have some one off D35 (I thought they were all the same), but we have tried 3 sets of spiders for the 35 and all are the same and don't work.  So made a call to the gear center gave #s from the tag and can't get them in Canada.  They need to be shipped in if they can find them.  Now this Jeep is 99% street/hwy driven and I love to drive it.  SO My question is this.  If I can't get the open gears in a decent amount of time and for a reasonable price.  What is better to go with a lunchbox locker or a spool?  I know JP mag says a spool, but those guys live in Cali, I daily drive and am worrying about spinning out on icy/snowy roads.  I would prefer to run open and do NOT want to spend money on the 35.  I'm probably getting my sister in laws explorer (8.8 swap) after the winter so im looking for the cheapest/best alternative to get me driving for the winter.  You guys have the experience im looking for, mabey other alternatives I haven't thought of

What about just finding another D35 with the same gears? Do the ol' swap-a-roo? Seems like it may be easier... Let me know gears and Ill start sorce'n!

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:12:49 PM »
In a pinch we used to weld em up, called it "a Langford Locker" you save the broken hunks? Just weld it up into a big ugly mess. Just like having a spool. It'll drive terrible on the road, chirping tires on every turn on the pavement.

Best to ask around for a spare D35, maybe include your ratio of gears you have. Might luck upon a straight swap.
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:15:11 PM »
just change your carrier our for a new dana 35 carrier .. your carrier is what is different not the diff

so take a new carrier with the spyders and put your old ring gear on it and give a shot
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 08:22:56 PM »
Gears are 307s I believe. And I may have to swap for another 35.  And I don't know how to change the entire carrier. And to expensive to get someone to do that. But is that all it is. Than why can't the gear center find the same spiders?
Thanx for the info guys keep it coming. Is running welded gears better than a lunchbox for driving on the street?

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 08:27:04 PM »
No definitely not. DO NOT WELD.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 08:27:56 PM »
Hey rubi03jef does that need to be reshimed or is it quite complicated.?  Sorry I'm quite green at wheeling and failed diffs at sait

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:28:35 PM »
Is running welded gears better than a lunchbox for driving on the street?

Much worse. A lunchbox locker allows some slip on turns, while the Lincoln locker (welded) allows for no slip whatsoever. Horrible on the road.
Jeep of Theseus

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:29:16 PM »
changing your carrier isnt hard its getting the right pattern on your ring gear because when you change something that big theres a good chance that you might be out just a bit cuz nothing is the same

but you never know you might be close enough and still in spec

do you have the carriers that the other people where giving you the spyders out of
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 08:33:46 PM »
Ok welding is out.  See Jp mag says the opposite. But again they live in Cali and have no idea about driving in winter. No I don't have the carriers.  But I would find them if I need to. It is a good idea. I just suck at diffs and don't want it to get worse.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:39:01 PM »
Only Problem with a Locker inplace of the spiders is that its a D35.....with 33" tires. It already broke once without any of the added stress a locker ads to the situation. Also a spool is a terrible idea

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
I have a 93 XJ rear Dana diff, yours for the taking if that will help you out, it's a diff out of a stick. It's out and can be ready for pick up within the hour,..  PM me for a phone number if this will help
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline Tyn Pow

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »
I would throw a new carrier in there as someone suggested, or toss in a locker.  

I have lunchbox lockers in my semi-daily-driver and its fine to drive....just coast around turns otherwise it'll chirp and hop.

If you don't want lockers you definitely won't  like a spool unless its a dedicated trail rig.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
Good lord how did you find those so fast. I'm typing on my iPhone and before I can post you've dropped two links. Lol. Yeah I want that ected BUT I was aloted 300 no more to spend I don't think he will come down 200.  I can get the lunchbox but I'd prefer to stay open.