Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: rubicon fan problems  (Read 2529 times)

Offline --weezl--

• Stocker
rubicon fan problems
« on: October 26, 2010, 01:26:45 AM »
i went wheeling down in mclean creek today, brought my ranger, a friend's sport trac, and another friend's Rubicon about an hour or so in, Doug, the guy with the rubicon pulls over, saying that his truck is boiling over, and that the needle is off the gauge, we let it sit for a few minutes, started it up really quick, and noticed that the fan wasn't spinning, even though it was still showing over 3/4 on the gauge... we let it cool right down, and took one of the bigger "roads" back towards the hiway, while it was moving, the temp stayed down in the normal range, got into bragg creek, and it was still in the normal range, which didn't surprise any of us, being we were moving, and the air flow kept it cool, however when we stopped, Doug popped the hood again, and still no fan, even though it was at the top end of normal

the truck is a newer rubicon, i am not exactly sure the year, however he was saying it's a lease, which is up in about 3 months, and the fan is electric.  Is there any common problems with the newer rubicons or the electric fans? he did go through a decent sized puddle not long before this all happened, but it wasn't that deep... other than that it was all just plain trail driving he did...

we checked the fuse under the hood, the 60a bigger square fuse, it looked good, as well as checked the plug right at the fan motor, inside the plug was dry and clean

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
Re: rubicon fan problems
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 01:54:49 AM »
 did you check the fuse for the electric fan? the 60A fuse is you main fuse, you need to locate the fuse for the rad fan and check the relay?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:13:22 AM by raf2379 »

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »
hit it with a stick.  probably full of mud and wont turn.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline --weezl--

• Stocker
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:18:43 AM »
the fuse we checked was labeled "rad fan" if i remember correctly, it was a friend of mine who checked it, i do remember it was j19 under the hood though...

i think we spun it by hand, and it spun ok... but i will get him to check that too

thanks for the quick replies, any other common problems?

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 02:11:51 PM »
the fan can spin but the motor can still have crap in it to stop the flow of electricity.

last run out my dual speed fan quit.  worked on high speed and spun freely but low speed wouldn't work till i hammered it.  cleaned it out and all ok now.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline --weezl--

• Stocker
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:07:20 PM »
cool, i'll make sure he checks both of those, do you guys know the location and number possibly, of the other fuse we should be checking? we checked the manual, and it has nothing about the rad fan fuses...

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »
hit it with a stick.  probably full of mud and wont turn.

Exact same thing happened to a friend while wheeling his Rubicon, fan could spin by hand but not the motor. After fiddling with the electronics for the better part of an hour, I got fed up and firmly tapped it with a hammer. It fired right up.
Jeep of Theseus

Offline sqareyz

• Winch Wench
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
if it's a JK,

it's a common problem--- with the tiniest bit of mud in the fan motor, they often will crap out. Happened to me last time i was out wheelin. I was lucky enough to take it apart, clean it & it worked again

Offline jeepgrl

• UberWheeler
  • All those JKs are starting to look the same...
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »
probably full of mud and wont turn.

I had the same issue with my '07 JK... take $5 and go power wash it at the car wash... it'll fix it quick.
Current project:
2012 2-door Orange Crush JK
AEV 3.5" lift
33" Mikey Thompson MTZ
Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers
Warn VR800 winch

BUILT AND SOLD: Silver 2007 JKU (because they all look the same now anyway)