Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: November 6th Run  (Read 6463 times)

Offline mhernden

• Budget Lift
  • Mike and the Red Baron
Re: November 6th Run
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 01:19:01 PM »
Meh...  Waiparous has its spots that can be a little tricky...  just depends where and WHEN you go. 

My last trip out there was after about 2 weeks of heavy rain.  I didnt realize just how brutal a couple sections of the trail were going to be.  It actually made 1 bypass completely impossible and i was "forced" into a tank trap type hole.  Thankfully... i was able to drive out of it... but it could certainly have been worse. 

If you stick to the main trail out there, Waiparous Valley Road straight out to the falls, its not bad by any means.  There are a couple spots that can get tricky depending on the time of year... but its generally a simple run. 
99 XJ - 4.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex, 31" Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires, Front E-locker, Rear Detroit Locker, Rockhard 4x4 front and rear bumper with sotc, 9000lb winch, Cobra CB.

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 01:32:38 PM »
Ok, it's official then, I'm gonna hit the Waiparous on saturday! Let me know if anybody wants to join me, otherwise im going solo!

Offline mhernden

• Budget Lift
  • Mike and the Red Baron
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
As others have said in many other posts to many other people...  solo is a bad idea. 

Specailly if you have no way to recover yourself from a bad situation... if that photo of yours is current... you dont even have a winch if you got into a tough spot. 

I'm in no way telling you what you have the right to do or not...  but the suggestion that "solo is a bad idea" comes from experience and having seen what can happen very quickly on a "nice easy run". 

:)

Best of luck regardless of your choice.   Waiparous is a beautiful place to wheel. 
99 XJ - 4.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex, 31" Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires, Front E-locker, Rear Detroit Locker, Rockhard 4x4 front and rear bumper with sotc, 9000lb winch, Cobra CB.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
I would not go solo, there is ice out there covering the mud holes but it does break under the weight of a vehicle. I got stuck in a few spots the other day simply because ice wedged in behind my front and rear. it is definitely wheel at your own risk if you go alone. If you do go by yourself, have a time you will call someone on your way out and they know where you are going.

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »
make sence, I'll probably go for a  reconnaissance mission to see whats going on for terrain and i might get somebody with a truck to come with us

Offline comanche killer

• UberWheeler
  • Aaron
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
just my 2cents going solo is bad idea at least try and have 1-2 extera 4x4's with u. May long this year I ran a trail out in McLean by myself because a buddy of mine was down from Edmonton full on knowing the trouble we could get in to we still decide to go out alone  and broke my front trak bar bracket in two. on one of the hill climbs going up the backside of the world and this is in a very cabable/ built jeep we managed to hold it together with my winch and get it back to the road. I will say this never again  will I run trail alone just because a buddy was down that I haven't seen in 2 years. the ice out there is deceiving some times u could drive over it and be fine or it breaks out from under you i had that happen to may times to the ones following me and is sucks trying to get them out very hard on both vehicles  depending on how deep the water under the ice is. if my rig wasn't in pieces right now I'd take the day off  work and join.

I hope the pics I have attached are OK just some pics of some potental damage and incidents that can occur. During winter Wheeling/ going offloading alone
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:49:25 PM by comanche runner »
95 3/4 ton Chev  dailydriver/heavy hauler
97 green MZJ custom 4link rear/3link front, FF 14 bolt rear welded, D 60 front, ax-15, np-231,custom rollcage, half doors, PSC hydro assist 14"kings 40"boggers

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 09:18:19 PM »
just my 2cents going solo is bad idea at least try and have 1-2 extera 4x4's with u. May long this year I ran a trail out in McLean by myself because a buddy of mine was down from Edmonton full on knowing the trouble we could get in to we still decide to go out alone  and broke my front trak bar bracket in two. on one of the hill climbs going up the backside of the world and this is in a very cabable/ built jeep we managed to hold it together with my winch and get it back to the road. I will say this never again  will I run trail alone just because a buddy was down that I haven't seen in 2 years. the ice out there is deceiving some times u could drive over it and be fine or it breaks out from under you i had that happen to may times to the ones following me and is sucks trying to get them out very hard on both vehicles  depending on how deep the water under the ice is. if my rig wasn't in pieces right now I'd take the day off  work and join.

I hope the pics I have attached are OK just some pics of some potental damage and incidents that can occur. During winter Wheeling/ going offloading alone

Thx a lot for the advice, i just found somebody to come down with me to Mclean Creek so its all good. More are welcome!

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 10:06:10 PM »
That's awesome 1stjeep.  What time are you meeting out there so others know and can join you?

04 TJ Rubi

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 10:39:37 PM »
Ill be at the shop in the parking lot of Mclean Creek park at 1030hrs. Stocker green JK

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 04:35:31 PM »
Hi , just wanted to thank After6beers that showed me the ropes at Mclean Creek yesterday at the " top of the world"  and Woody, your jeep is badass!

Offline after6queers

• BANNED
  • Budget Lift
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »
No problem...your buddy did a wicked job coming down "Steps". Hopefully we can do it again soon. Only a few more weeks of Maclean so I will probably be going out at least one day every weekend so let me know.
2001 Jeep TJ - 4" Lift 35's MTZ Chanda made bumpers, fenders and sliders...still working on her!!!