Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Eshocks.com great prices but weird terms  (Read 5044 times)

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
Eshocks.com great prices but weird terms
« on: November 11, 2010, 09:07:40 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has bought from eshocks.com before? I came across their site surfing the web last night and noticed they had really good prices on some brand name shocks, pretty much buy one get one free! However upon checking out their terms I grew concerned, cuz in order to ship out of the usa you had to provide a lot of personal info, such as a photocopy of you r drivers license or passport, home address and a front and back photocopy of your credit card... Am I the only one that finds this suspicious? Our is this legit?
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: Eshocks.com great prices but weird terms
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 09:11:54 AM »
sounds like a scam.
run.
fast.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 09:59:34 AM »
Sounds worse than a scam, sounds like a phishing site for identity theft.

Granted, a lot of vendors have had problems with out of USA customers, but with all the database break-ins etc., I'd be *very* concerned about identity theft.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »
I figured as much... The only thing that is holding me back from completely thinking its a scam is that I discovered this site off of three seperate forums such as this (they weren't Jeep forums) where guys were sharing tech info and susgestions on product, etc...  I could however get it shipped to my Grandma in the states and avoid the worrying alltogether!

Gotta love the Grandmas! HAHA
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »
I bet it's a smaller business that does not have a lot of international shipping experience.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
So curiosity got the best of me and just because I can (free long distance calls at work) I called the number on the website.  Talked to the guy in the phone for four mins or so and he said that they have had so much stuff stolen and had claims against them that they have to cover there arse, and suggested if I was concerned about giving that info that they are set up with PayPal!  So looks likes its not a scam after all.

FYI you can get 4 Bilstein 5100 Shocks plus shipping (not sure what that is yet) for $300.00!  That's a $100.00 in savings! And with the Canadian dollar so strong you can't really go wrong, unless shipping fees are astronomical.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »
until they tell you shipping is 125$.................... and you end up paying more..............   

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 06:35:33 PM »
If you pay via PayPal, that's fine. I wouldn't be giving anyone photocopies of my credit cards or driver's license, no matter what.

The only time that I have ever done anything similar was when I was mail-ordering a hard-to-find firearm from a place in Ontario...and all they got was a fax of a written authorization from me to charge my CC for a specific amount, and a photocopy of my firearms license.

Vinman may be right...but my gut feeling is that Johnny is right. As much as it pains me to admit that  ;)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 07:44:53 PM »
We ll see what happens, I m not prepared to buy for another few months so I'll feel it out a bit more... I m for sure not in the dark about internet scams, and am well aware of what to look out for. The point of this thread was to find out if anyone had bought from there before.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 10:22:18 PM »
any time there is a request for a photocopy of a credit card, and very specifically the BACK, its bad news bears.  teh back number on your CC should never be revealed to anyone, and if anyone asks you to read it,  you deny.  the only exception is when you call visa or activate a card. even then they might not ask for it. there are other times but this is not one of them. 

if they're legit, you give them your CC number and they charge it. its pretty standard stuff. 

also. 100% of companies charge your CC first, and when it clears, they ship.  pretty stupid if they don't.

last word: if it seems to good to be true it usually is................ 

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 08:22:48 AM »
So curiosity got the best of me and just because I can (free long distance calls at work) I called the number on the website.  Talked to the guy in the phone for four mins or so and he said that they have had so much stuff stolen and had claims against them that they have to cover there arse, and suggested if I was concerned about giving that info that they are set up with PayPal!  So looks likes its not a scam after all.

FYI you can get 4 Bilstein 5100 Shocks plus shipping (not sure what that is yet) for $300.00!  That's a $100.00 in savings! And with the Canadian dollar so strong you can't really go wrong, unless shipping fees are astronomical.

I think I have seen them for 265 on ebay for a set of 4 new ones plus shipping..
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 08:24:16 AM »
any time there is a request for a photocopy of a credit card, and very specifically the BACK, its bad news bears.  teh back number on your CC should never be revealed to anyone, and if anyone asks you to read it,  you deny.  the only exception is when you call visa or activate a card.... 

Then how can I buy my online *adult orientated viewing*?? ;D
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline Timok

• Winch Wench
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 10:27:51 AM »
The 3 digit pin on the back of your credit card is there for exactly this reason. It is there to prove to the vendor that the person ordering has the card in hand.

And I've heard of companies requesting front and back copies of D/L, CC and/or passports before, but usually when you are setting up an account.

As mentioned before, I'd be wary of shipping charges. In my experience, ask them to ship via USPS instead of UPS/Fed Ex. The private companies charge out the arse for brokerage at the border, the post office doesn't. Chances are they will ship UPS regardless of your wishes, then you need to phone in and complain and (most) places will just refund the shipping charges. Yes, I've ordered alot of stuff from the states  ::)