Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: hello SNOW!!  (Read 9581 times)

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
Re: hello SNOW!!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
Stolen from another board

"As I sit here waitin for snow,
Anticipation will grow,
4WD is ready for action,
Just hope tires have traction,
Get the XJ all ready for fun,
Tell the wife "I'll be back hun",
Hit the snow like a big ole kid,
Watch a Hummer skid :,
Havin a blast in the snow,
Just hope it stays white and not yellow ."
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 07:16:39 PM »
People who live in Calgary that still have their summer tires on in November should be forced to talk to work. Barefoot. IF someone's winter driving skills are so bad that they can only manage 10 KPH, then they should call a cab.

If your all-seasons are good enough to use all winter, then it is what it is - but if somebody owns winter tires and has just procrastinated for the past month and a half, then they're putting other drivers at risk through their own stupidity.

I'd rather they manage 10 KPH than the little silver/grey station wagon this morning that must have had BALD summers on. After two guys push him off of the curb on the ramp from WB 16'th ave to SB 36'th st, he took 3 lights to get through (he was first in line and at the stop line)... I thought I'd left him behind when he was pretty much spinning out in various places (while texting someone - probably his boss), but as I'm on the section between the schools and 17'th ave SE, I glimpse this vehicle passing me (faster than *ALL* the other vehicles) and it's doofus trying to make up time.  His front tires are spinning, he's yanking the wheel back and forth and of course he loses it. I missed him by about 8" as he spun 3 times before going over the sidewalk onto lawns (front tires still going great-guns).  I just chose to keep going... total road hazard and oblivious that he is!

I do agree however that they should let someone else do the driving.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »
I'd rather they manage 10 KPH than the little silver/grey station wagon this morning that must have had BALD summers on. After two guys push him off of the curb on the ramp from WB 16'th ave to SB 36'th st, he took 3 lights to get through (he was first in line and at the stop line)... I thought I'd left him behind when he was pretty much spinning out in various places (while texting someone - probably his boss), but as I'm on the section between the schools and 17'th ave SE, I glimpse this vehicle passing me (faster than *ALL* the other vehicles) and it's doofus trying to make up time.  His front tires are spinning, he's yanking the wheel back and forth and of course he loses it. I missed him by about 8" as he spun 3 times before going over the sidewalk onto lawns (front tires still going great-guns).  I just chose to keep going... total road hazard and oblivious that he is!

I do agree however that they should let someone else do the driving.

That's a person that deserves to be on the receiving end of a 3/16" plate steel bumper.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 08:34:53 AM »
If you're still looking at getting the Duratracs and then studding them, I think you'll be very happy with the result. Mine worked like a charm this morning.

So if I understand that correctly, do you run studded tires in Calgary?

Last season we studded some winters for our mazda6 since my wife was working outside Red Deer, I threw them on the other night but I haven't had it out yet, been too busy sitting in traffic with the jeep :P

2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 09:01:43 AM »
^ Definitely get them studded.  Keep in mind  most shops won't stud them if they are used tires.

We barely ever put the our jeep on 4-Hi anymore because of the add traction, resulting in less fuel consumption on icy snowy day's where we would normally throw it in 4-HI.  The noise is barely noticeable on dry pavement and the only downside I've noticed is you won't be able to stop as fast on dry pavement.

I was able to avoid 3 potential collisions last year on ice covered roads, as I was able to stop faster and swerve out of the way.
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
So if I understand that correctly, do you run studded tires in Calgary?

I do. If there was a true specialized winter (ice) tire available in 35X12.5, I would consider running that (I spend a lot of time up and down the Deerfoot  :()...but there isn't one. Instead, I run a set of studded Duratracs. So far, so good. I still use 4HI if I'm getting into deeper chopped up snow, but 2HI is perfectly adequate for 90% of snow covered road driving.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 11:04:10 AM »
specifically what Duratracs do you run? Are they AT? I'm not really familiar with them.
2003 TJ

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 11:25:02 AM »
These ones here.

http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartireselectorca/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Wrangler%20DuraTrac&mrktarea=Light+Truck

They're essentially an AT...but they have enough void space that they're halfway to being an MT. They certainly won't keep up with the Toyo MT's in the mud, and don't offer quite the same stability for snow-covered off-camber sections...but I sure do like 'em on the ice. Between the siping and the studs they grip pretty well.

Offline lsm

• Winch Wench
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
I do. If there was a true specialized winter (ice) tire available in 35X12.5, I would consider running that (I spend a lot of time up and down the Deerfoot  :()...but there isn't one. Instead, I run a set of studded Duratracs. So far, so good. I still use 4HI if I'm getting into deeper chopped up snow, but 2HI is perfectly adequate for 90% of snow covered road driving.

I have Blizzacks which are slightly smaller than the stock Rubi tires and they work fine.   I have them on steel rims and no issues.
08, Stock, Jeep Green Rubicon Unlimited

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
I have Blizzacks which are slightly smaller than the stock Rubi tires and they work fine.   I have them on steel rims and no issues.

Yup...blizzaks in that size would work fine as a substitute for the stock 32X10.5 Rubi tires. The thing is that I'm runnning 35X12.5 tires, and I don't want to go down in size to 32's for the winter months. The 35's really do make a difference off road.

Offline lsm

• Winch Wench
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 03:05:59 PM »
Oh, that is right... your not running stock, like I am.   :'( 
08, Stock, Jeep Green Rubicon Unlimited

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »
Black Aura, were you on Crowchild this morning? Had a guy in a Rubi just like yours wave.

Probably wasn't me yesterday as I decided that due to the weather, I wouldn't bother going in to work until the afternoon.  I do randomly wave to Jeeps I see though....sometimes I get a reply wave :)

If you're still looking at getting the Duratracs and then studding them, I think you'll be very happy with the result. Mine worked like a charm this morning.

That's exactly what I ordered!  I'm so excited!  Can't wait to see how the perform!  ;D

Thanks again for the help, both Todd and Paul!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:08:47 PM by BlackAura »
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 08:52:06 AM »
I can't seem to find one, but is anyone aware if there is a Canadian version of this rebate? or any other rebates I could be aware of?

http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/goodyear-rebate
2003 TJ

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 12:37:53 PM »
I can't seem to find one, but is anyone aware if there is a Canadian version of this rebate? or any other rebates I could be aware of?

http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/goodyear-rebate

I called a couple places to order my DuraTracs and they all told me Fountain Tire in town has an exclusive deal with Good Year, so if you order from say Big O Tires, they just order them through Fountain then resell them to you.

When I called Fountain to price out the tires, they said there was currently a discount (if I remember $20 per tire?), which may or may not be related to that rebate.

If you do find a rebate, let me know please!  Thanks!  ;D
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 09:48:08 AM »
Gentlemen, I'm sorry to thread jack but I'm in the market for some good winter tires. My tire guy recommended  me the blizzaks ws70's, but also theres this other brand of tire that apparently would destroy the blizzaks in snow&ice: Studded Jetzon Snowblazers... Im more inclined towards getting the blizzaks cuz i trust the brand, anybody got any other reccomendations?