Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New Alberta Distracted Driver Laws  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Re: New Alberta Distracted Driver Laws
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »
just liked the part about being distracted by outside influences.  signs and girls... i swear in the summer downtown i am amazed i come out unscratched... and out of handcuffs
lol.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 02:58:24 PM »
here's mine truly
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 10:20:44 PM »
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 09:25:56 PM »
Quoted for truth!

The first two weeks when the temperature increases and the skirts get shorter is a dangerous time to be a driver.  :P

That's what 4lo is for ;D

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 11:54:40 PM »
its going to be hard for the police to do anything besides pull people over

for eating in a car or lighting a smoke   even handing there baby the toy they just dropped

the calgary police are already a joke      its only going to get worse with this law .

what about the real problems like crack in grade schools or 12 year olds raping 10 year old in the school yards
they need to focus on bigger issues then a couple hundred accidents a year because someone was on a phone or picking there nose and you were watching them instead of the road in front of you

just my 2 cents

never matters anyways
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 06:11:03 AM »
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20060107/crashes_homicide_060107/

Take a look at those numbers and tell me thier focus isn't in the right direction. That is Canada over all mind you. It also doesn't show all the other accidents without fatality, but it also doesn't show all the other crimes that may happen so I think the comparison is fair enough.

Cell phones are just a part in those accidents, but the new laws are in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. I get real tired of being put into risky situations because of some self involved person on a cell phone.

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 06:48:50 AM »
Yes, with the way a lot of people drive, it's playing Russian Roulette, it's not *IF*, it is *WHEN* they will kill someone and the sheer number of "near misses" should be the first clue to that.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 04:07:27 PM »
im from a bigger busier city then CALGARY and they just put the cell phone law into play last year ..

not a BS distraction law

i do agree that there are way to many people talking on there cells phones while driving but as for distractions like eating drinking and changing a radio station its going a bit to far

cuz next time theres  red and blues in my rear view mirror i WONT notice because ITS A DISTRACTION to look behind me

theres a line and sadly CALGARY / ALBERTA is crossing it with this Distraction law .. im down for no cell phones but thats all

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 04:31:58 PM »
Whoa...you're getting awful cranky Jeff. The law doesn't cover that much.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/distracteddriving.htm

It restricts the following:

?using hand-held cell phones
?texting or e-mailing
?using electronic devices like laptop computers, video games, cameras, video entertainment displays and programming portable audio players (e.g., MP3 players)
?entering information on GPS units
?reading printed materials in the vehicle
?writing, printing or sketching, and
?personal grooming

And under the FAQ, it says:

We are not talking about penalizing drivers for taking a sip of coffee, chatting with passengers or blowing their nose. We are talking about drivers who decide to put themselves and others at risk by watching movies, browsing for and downloading 'apps', apply makeup or shaving all while trying to navigate through traffic.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 10:17:08 PM »
its going to be hard for the police to do anything besides pull people over

for eating in a car or lighting a smoke   even handing there baby the toy they just dropped

the calgary police are already a joke      its only going to get worse with this law .

what about the real problems like crack in grade schools or 12 year olds raping 10 year old in the school yards
they need to focus on bigger issues then a couple hundred accidents a year because someone was on a phone or picking there nose and you were watching them instead of the road in front of you

just my 2 cents

never matters anyways

consider the effort (read: manpower) used to stop these type of things, consider your taxes, and consider how the police force needs to secure funding.

I agree 100% with you, they should be after "real crimes", and be working harder to put away the scourge of the city, but 3k lbs plus of metal, glass and rubber can be a lethal combo when the person at the helm is mentally absent. 

I hate speeding/traffic tickets.  HATE demerits that come from the tickets...but I just hope that money I seem to pay over and above my tax dollars go into scourge elimination..I hope.
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »
thanks for posting the link .. i missed it the first time

ok now i see it covers what it needs to .. sorry for the rant earlier . my bad ..       

its cuz im FRENCH   hahah

but still think they should be worried about real crime :)

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 10:38:18 PM »
its cuz im FRENCH   hahah

Whats are you talking about???... I'm always patient and calm...

GEEZZZZ ::)

;D