Calgary Jeep Association

Linked Events

• NYD Open Run: January 01, 2011

Author Topic: New Year's Day Run - Info in first post  (Read 40102 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: New Year's Day Run
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »
I'm stoked about the big response to this - I had a great time last New Year's Day, and I'm eager to repeat it.

I moved the roster up to the first post so people can find it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:34:46 PM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
dont for get me!

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 11:18:37 AM »
Firewood is a great idea, but I'll bring my chainsaw just in case.

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 11:40:31 AM »
I am considering coming, if you are Ok with a total newbie on the run(never been out before).  I just have to convince/assure my wife I won't break our new jeep.

I have a bone stock 2010 Sahara Unlimited.  Anything basic/somewhat inexpensive I should look at adding on before I go out wheeling?

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 12:10:57 PM »
I am considering coming, if you are Ok with a total newbie on the run(never been out before).  I just have to convince/assure my wife I won't break our new jeep.

I have a bone stock 2010 Sahara Unlimited.  Anything basic/somewhat inexpensive I should look at adding on before I go out wheeling?

This is a newbie-friendly run...but I would ask that you make sure your Jeep meets all the requirements that I posted at the start of the thread:

-Good AT or MT tires
-Proper tow points front and rear - please don't expect to borrow parts of other people's vehicles to make your tow points work.
-Full sized spare
-Ample food and water for yourself and all passengers
-Vehicle in sound mechanical condition
-Appropriate winter clothing (including boots, gloves, hat) for everyone in the vehicle
-Top off your fuel tank when we leave Cochrane

I do not know what type of tires you have on your Sahara, but I believe that "street" tires would make winter wheeling pretty challenging for you. I'd also like to stress that front and rear tow points really are a necessary item.

If you rig meets the requirements, we'll be happy to provide pointers and a helping hand when the going gets tough  :)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »
Yep it has the factory 2 front tow hooks and one rear.  My tires are Bridgestone Dueler AT's.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 05:31:17 PM »
Then I'd say that your rig should be fine - you've got AT tires that are in good condition, and the factory tow points on a JK will work just peachy.

The things that I would add that you're likely to use most are:

-a shovel
-an axe
-good selection of basic hand tools
-some spare fluids (engine oil, gear oil, washer fluid, ATF)
-garbage bags
-a first aid kit. No need to go overboard, especially if you're like most folks and just have an expired "emergency" first aid ticket from years ago.
-a recovery strap. It's important that you get on of these that has the soft "loop" ends, and not metal hooks.

If you like, you could also add in a CB, but I'd wait until you've been out with us a few times, and see if you're enjoying it.

When it comes to wheeling, I'd also suggest a change of socks and shoes for each person in the Jeep. Nothing ruins a winter trip faster than stepping out of the jeep and soaking your feet.  :(

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:36:32 PM by w squared »

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
And me too... as far as I can tell at this moment in time. On-call may screw me, but I doubt it.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »
Count me in (tentatively)! I'm also plagged by the New-Years eve on-call stuff work, but I'm done at 8am the next morning so I should be good to go unless I have a sleepless night.  ;D
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 07:57:30 PM »
I,ll be there as well. Try out some new mods and all the post hunting season repairs already done  :o  .
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:42:08 PM by morerpmfred »

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 08:54:08 PM »

Awesome that you are going to try and make it out.  That will 2 noobs to the CJA runs.  I have been out a few times with Kev but never a group run.  I am really looking forward to a great day, hopefully the weather is good but either way it will be a blast.

I think you will be amazed at where your Jeep will go, I know on the 4 or 5 times I was out with my 2007 that it never ceased to surprise me how it performed............especially with my clumsy hands on the wheel.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: New Year's Day Run - Info in first post
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »
i'll run tail for Kevs group. its funner in the rear ;)

unless its cold.  i'll admit i'm wimp.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 10:20:10 PM »
That's what she said.

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 10:28:07 PM »

the first few runs I did were in a bone stock sahara unlimited (07) and it performed far better than I thought it would. Don't let that hold you back ;D. As for cheap mods, as W squared says. If you are looking for a good rear tow point, Modern has a decent receiver shackle bracket with D-ring for something like 50 bucks. A tow strap is a good idea too, and make sure it is a good one without hooks attached on the ends (loops are what you want; Modern and Princess Auto have these).
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 10:35:06 PM »
the first few runs I did were in a bone stock sahara unlimited (07) and it performed far better than I thought it would.

As I recall... you were just about jumpin out of your skin you were so excited about what you just went through...

Something about "THAT WAS F*#KIN AWESOME!!" ring a bell?