Calgary Jeep Association

Linked Events

• NYD Open Run: January 01, 2011

Author Topic: New Year's Day Run - Info in first post  (Read 40120 times)

Offline Rubibago

• Baby Wheeler
  • Jack Stands......saving trails everyday.
Re: New Year's Day Run
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 10:54:22 PM »
the first few runs I did were in a bone stock sahara unlimited (07) and it performed far better than I thought it would. Don't let that hold you back ;D

Can you believe that was only 6 months and about 10 Grand ago!!

Where does the money and time go!!
'98 TJ Sahara (Sorta)
'09 Rubibago

O|||||||O

Pain Killers, not just for fun anymore.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: New Year's Day Run - Info in first post
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 10:55:38 PM »
LOL... so true.
look out to the driveway.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2010, 08:40:30 PM »
As I recall... you were just about jumpin out of your skin you were so excited about what you just went through...

Something about "THAT WAS F*#KIN AWESOME!!" ring a bell?
HAHA! So true, so true. Now I'm hooked :)
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
chain saw will be sharpened and fueled up
2 gerry cans of gas for my jeep
and food and other things to

all ready to go

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Firewood is a great idea, but I'll bring my chainsaw just in case.

I think I might still have some kicking around.  If not I am sure I can fit a bag in the back of the Rubi after all it has a very large storage area  ::)

So basically I am saying I will bring firewood

Damn I am looking forward to getting out..............its been forever  (well two people years is forever in jeep years)
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Brooneg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 10:48:52 PM »
is it ok to have a couple Toyota's join us?  My dad has an FJ and a buddy has an older 4runner...both meet minimum req's....

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 12:55:18 AM »
is it ok to have a couple Toyota's join us?  My dad has an FJ and a buddy has an older 4runner...both meet minimum req's....

I think that'll be okay for this run. After all, we've got a quad coming, so a couple of Yotas should be fine too. Then again, if this run gets any bigger, we may have to split it three ways.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:57:49 AM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 02:35:32 AM »
I am super stoked about this.  The wife hasn't said "no you can't go" so I'm taking it as a yes.  :)

I was thinking of grabbing a few things as suggested (ie: shovel, axe, recovery straps)  Just a quick question on the straps though, should I be looking at getting one of the name brand ones?  ARB, Warn, rugged ridge, etc. or just go for one of the cheap-o ones from Princess Auto?

I might also look at CB's, I know a couple of you have said to hold off to make sure that I enjoy going out (I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem), but I like the idea of having a bit better communication.  Now there have been many discussions on which model of CB to get and it seems as though you don't need to go too crazy for the CB unit itself, but I was wondering what a ballpark price would/should be for a whole setup so it is done properly.

Thanks,

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 04:30:19 AM »
For recovery straps, there is no need to go for a big brand name. Understand that whatever you buy, it's going to get covered in mud, abraded by metal, rocks, and logs...and just generally get worn out. Most folks here seem to buy a no-name, "nuthin fancy" recovery strap from Modern Motors and I don't know anyone that's ever had anything than 100% success with that. They are VERY reasonably priced, and normally on the shelf there. Modern also tends to have a good selection of good quality d-rings, tree savers, and snatch blocks. The recovery "bits and pieces" that they keep in stock may not be as fancy or shiny as the ARB or Masterpull stuff, but they're all good quality and will help you get your Jeep outta the swamp.

I would avoid using a "princess auto"  special, as most of the "tow ropes" and "tow straps" that they sell seem to come with metal ends. Metal parts on a recovery strap are just plain dangerous.

As far as the CB goes, you've already ordered a mount and an antenna, right? All you need now is a CB, an 18 foot coax, and a coat hanger to fish a piece of wire through the hole under the right side hood cowling. As Fiend has recommended in the past, paying a visit to Dean at the Road King truck stop is the best way to get what you need. He's got a good variety of CB's, and his prices are fair. I don't recall which model of Uniden that Al recommended, but that's probably a good place to start. The other option would be a Cobra 75 (since you said that you're not ready to drill anything in your interior. You can easily tuck the junction box under your glovebox, and hang the handheld unit in a convenient place in the cab. You will probably want a small external speaker though - I found the speaker on the 75 to be lacking. I can show you how to hide the speaker inside your sport bar if you like.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:34:49 AM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »
Oh you are thinking of Silverfox, I think he ordered a cooltech mount or something.

I don't have anything yet.  I might just take a trip to Roadking and check them out.  My buddy in Edmonton was saying the same thing about the Cobra 75, he also purchased the speaker, but he does like the unit overall.

thanks

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2010, 10:09:01 AM »
Oh you are thinking of Silverfox, I think he ordered a cooltech mount or something.

I don't have anything yet.  I might just take a trip to Roadking and check them out.  My buddy in Edmonton was saying the same thing about the Cobra 75, he also purchased the speaker, but he does like the unit overall.

thanks

Yup thats me, I have the Cooltech mount inbound as well as an SWR and Antenna.  I still have my old (well old as in its from my last rig but not used yet) recovery strap.  Haven't got the CB yet as I am waiting on Santa :)
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Chupacabra

• Baby Wheeler
  • Primero
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »
Sounds like it could be fun! Now if I only wasn't so wimpy in the cold and could stand changing all four tires in the wind and snow in front of my house...
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Islander Package

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
Sounds like it could be fun! Now if I only wasn't so wimpy in the cold and could stand changing all four tires in the wind and snow in front of my house...

Supossed to be warm on Sunday  ;D

I have a garage with a heater...I should be fixing my junk for this run, but meh.
If all you need is to swap tires send me a PM.
Jeep
With stuff

Offline AlAdIn

• Winch Wench
  • Jeepooooo
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 12:56:53 AM »
HI guys,
I am kinda new to this forum.I just bought a brand new rubicon and would like to try it out:)it's pure stock.Can I join you guys on this run?
thanks,Adrian
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 07:08:21 AM »
Hi there Adrian.

Your Rubicon will have come with front and rear recovery points and a set of MT tires from the factory, so it will meet all of the requirements for this run and you are welcome to join us. I will ask you to check the back of the vehicle - Rubicons that have a factory trailer hitch don't seem to come with the "factory" rear tow point. If this is the case, it's not a big issue - Modern Motors sells a slide-in portion for your factory hitch that will allow you to hook up a recovery strap. It looks kinda like this:

This is very much a "newbie friendly" run, so you will find that the folks on the run are happy to help you out with advice when you get to a tricky section. I will ask that you carefully review the first post in this thread where I've put a list of things that people should bring - things like making sure you have a full tank of fuel, bringing lots of food and water, and lots of warm clothing for everyone in the vehicle.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 07:26:29 AM by w squared »