Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Uniden 510XL CB Install plus what antenna?  (Read 11085 times)

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
Uniden 510XL CB Install plus what antenna?
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:28:56 PM »
Ok so I am planning on getting the smaller Cobra CB from Canadian Tire for Xmas - I know there are better out there but I also know what the budget of the person getting my gift is and this fits perfect in their price range and I think that it will more than suffice in the near term.  So while not the "best" it will be better than I have right now which is none.

Here is the link to the radio if you are so inclined

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/CarAudioVideo/CBRadios/PRDOVR~0350107P/Cobra%2525AE%252BCompact%252B4W%252BCB%252BRadio.jsp?locale=en

Now off to my questions

One, I have seen the install thread at another forum (I forget what it was called now) and it is a very detail picture by picture install to get it on the roll bar above the rear view.  The kicker is I don't want it there, at least not yet.  Essentially I am not prepared to drill holes in my rig for the CB...........I will get there likely but I just don't have it in my at the moment to start messing with the interior.

So.........where can I install/mount it or better yet how can I do it temporarily that will not require permanent modification to some part of my interior?

What Antenna should I go with (or does it matter?)  I have seen some spare tire mounts at Northridge for Antenna's but I have little to know experience with them and I am looking for input.  

From a wiring perspective the CB in the thread was grounded to the frame and wired directly to the battery..........my only concerned here are that obviously this will be separate of the vehicle ignition systems and hence if I leave the CB on when I leave the rig it will kill my battery.  Do they come with or can they be wired to the DC outlet in the jeep instead?

I don't think I will have any issues running the antenna wiring through the floor mats to the rear tailgate but any insight I am not thinking of there would be useful as well.

Any thoughts and input is very welcome.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:28:40 PM by SilverFox »
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Rubibago

• Baby Wheeler
  • Jack Stands......saving trails everyday.
Re: Cobra CB Install plus what antenna?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »
Hey There,
In my 09 Unlimited I did the following:

Got a midland 75-822 unit - http://www.midlandradio.com/CB-Radio.WYQ/75-822 
Went to see Dean at Comtech and he set me up with a mounting bracket, quick release, co-axial antenna cable and a 4ft Wilson Flex antenna.

Mounted the bracket and quick-connect to the spare tire carrier and ran the co-ax and ground through the spare grommet on the tailgate (well SilverTJ did the work, but I supervised).

Grounded the antenna underneath the factory sub-woofer and ran the rest of the co-ax under the carpet to the passenger seat and then up to the center console.

With that radio unit, the in car kit (which is included), just attach the co-ax and plug into the cigarette lighter and you are good to go.

Best part is when you are done, disconnect the antenna, un-plug the hand unit and tuck the co-ax under the seat carpet.....no radio.

If you really wanna get crazy, cooltech has a mount for the hand unit that you can put under the dash trim (no drilling required). http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_versamount.shtml

I am gonna come on the Jan 1 run, so feel free to come over and have a look.
'98 TJ Sahara (Sorta)
'09 Rubibago

O|||||||O

Pain Killers, not just for fun anymore.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »
go see Dean @ roadking and get the uniden 510 or 520 for same price or less.  bring cash no gst
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »
Any one of those units will work fine for trail use in a Jeep. You don't need a high performance CB. Good spots for mounting it without drilling are essentially all spots that will keep you from adjusting the channel or volume when you're driving. There's a panel underneath the steering wheel (but above the pedals) that will work, or you can try mounting in behind the glove box (it pops out easily)

Routing your coax to the antenna is easy in a JK - just run it underneath the carpet and you're set. Easy peasy.

Getting power is not too hard either. You can either run a "always live" line forward from the battery which will let you use the CB when the ignition is off (that's how I've wired mine) or you could splice to the switched power in behind the cigarette lighter on the driver's side. That power will not be quite as clean as running straight from the battery, but let's be honest - it's a CB, not a high end multiband HAM radio. You're not likely to notice any difference.

As far as antennas go, the 4 foot Wilson Flex has served a lot of club members quite well over the years. A Firestik will probably also work fine if that's what floats your boat, but they're more rigid and thus a bit more prone to breakage if you don't have them mounted on a spring.

Regarding mounting the antenna, Terflex makes a license plate holder mounting for the JK, and a company called Cooltech makes an absolutely first-rate tailgate mount for the JK. I have a pair of them on my rig (one for CB, one for HAM) and they are rock-solid. They're made out of 1/4" stainless, so you could probably use them to mount a small satellite dish without having any issues.

Whatever setup you end up with, please understand that you will need to tune the antenna after completing your install in order to get good performance. On the upside - this is a relatively easy process that many club members who own the needed tool (an SWR meter) will be happy to help you with.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:59:52 PM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »
except the cobra is a pos and their mikes suck even worse.  ask nathan, lindsey, Dom, Bonnie, tootc, tjyj etc etc how long their cobra mikes last(ed).... nevermind all the radios we have replaced so far.

1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 07:41:53 AM »
except the cobra is a pos and their mikes suck even worse.  ask nathan, lindsey, Dom, Bonnie, tootc, tjyj etc etc how long their cobra mikes last(ed).... nevermind all the radios we have replaced so far.

what ever im on my second cobra in like 6    years thats not too bad its your dam antennas go im one my second one in two years ???
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »
what ever im on my second cobra in like 6    years thats not too bad its your dam antennas go im one my second one in two years ???

yea cause we raped all my spare parts for mikes and lindsey gave you her spare parts (pretty sure).

oh, antenna too.  them damn antenna's weren't designed very good.  they just love to wrap around garage doors.  tootc has gone through 3 antennae i think
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »
they just love to wrap around garage doors.  tootc has gone through 3 antennae i think
I've trashed about the same number of ham antennas in the garage door - ouch.

Cobra used to be good many years ago, but not so much anymore. You do tend to get what you pay for (somewhat), though there is still only so much you can do with 4 watts and receiver design on AM. The antenna and it's mount is the biggest "variable" which can make or break the operation of the CB.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »
Well hell, I guess now I am not getting one for Xmas I will have to take care of it myself..........

I will get a good antenna mount based on some earlier posts and antenna as well.

Need to add an SWR meter to toss in with my collection of use once tools :)

2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 04:42:52 PM »
The antenna and it's mount is the biggest "variable" which can make or break the operation of the CB.

Quoted for truth!

A good mount and a good quality antenna (properly tuned) is the single most important factor in getting good performance.

The downside to driving a Wrangler is that you'll never be able to get the sort of baseplane that the station wagon guys can get...but a top quality tailgate mount on a JK will still get you good results. The only two things that I know of that will work better than that on a JK would be a big 'ol brass ball mount on the right rear fender, or a permanent mount right in the middle of your hood.  ???

On second thought, maybe the tailgate mount is tha way to go.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 05:04:10 PM »
Just ordered up a cooltech tailgate mount, 4" Flex and SWR meter.

Hopefully all will arrive before Jan 1 :)

Want to try it out on the trail after all..............didn't think my first add on would be a CB but prob makes sense to be one of the first...............
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 05:51:12 PM »
CB is a great first mod. That and good recovery points are all you REALLY need. ;)

BTW where did you order your CB stuff from?

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 08:52:34 PM »
The recovery points are pretty much my stock Rubi points so I think I am fine there.

As for the Antenna and meter I ordered them from Durham Radio online.  I have used them before on some other stuff and they are pretty good, prices are competitive.

I haven't picked up the radio as yet, will wait and see what Santa brings or I will head on up to Roadking and pick up a Unicom.

The mount I ordered from Cooltech...............given it is US I am hoping it makes it here before Jan 1 but given it is Xmas and all I am doubtful.  But for the Jan 1 run I am not afraid to McGuyver something up that will get me through the day.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 09:10:56 PM »
You will not regret the Cooltech. They're seriously solid mounts.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 10:00:02 AM »
You will not regret the Cooltech. They're seriously solid mounts.

Just wanted to say that I am pretty impressed with Cooltech.  They called me yesterday (yes called) to let me know that the part was shipped and that they were able to get it into a flat rate box and therefore were refunding me 10$ in shipping costs.  Not many vendors out there that are going to be that straight up so I thought I would mention it.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's