Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Uniden 510XL CB Install plus what antenna?  (Read 11084 times)

Offline Whiskeyjack

• Winch Wench
Re: Cobra CB Install plus what antenna?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 07:44:44 AM »
Just thought I'd throw out another option. I used a 4' whip and modified a mirror mount to mount it on the fender. Works great with my Cobra 19. Used this mount on my truck before the jeep with a different radio with same results.  ;)

2007 JK unlimited
285/70/ 17 Wrangler Duratrac's
PIAA 520's

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 09:50:51 AM »
Hmmmmmm

Something I never thought of.........does the antenna come with the Coax I need.  Probably not.

So I am assuming the Antenna would use standard rg58 Coax?  What connectors will I need for antenna and radio?

Also when running the power to the batter and also grounding is there any benefit to increasing the guage of the wire?  I don't know what wiring is stock with the Uniden 510 or 520XL, but if a larger guage will run cleaner power then I am all over it.

Thanks again gents.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Whiskeyjack, could you take a closeup picture of it?  IF I am able to get a CB before the Jan 1st run it is going to have to be something that I have put together as cheap as possible.

Sorry Silverfox, hijacking your thread a little for myself   ;D

Thanks

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 10:47:09 AM »
Either NTF communications in the northeast or Dean at Comtek (at the Road King on Barlow) will sell you exactly what you need for coax.

As far as increasing the guage of the wire, bear in mind that the maximum transmit power of your CB is only 4 watts. Assuming that your radio is only 50% efficent (a figure that I pulled out of nowhere, but one that'll work just fine for our purposes here), that still means that the power requirement of your radio is likely to be somewhere around 8 watts, and the actual current draw of your radio is likely to be 0.6 amps. Probably not enough of a power requirement to be worried about at this point in time. Your instinct is correct though - connecting directly to the battery will probably get you cleaner power than splicing into the wiring harness elsewhere. Just be aware that it is still a vehicle, and many a HAM operator has spent months of time trying to chase down electrical noise and eliminate it with mixed success. You may be happier by just pulling halfway clean power off the battery and just saying "It's a trail CB...it's not like I want to talk to Puerto Rico on this thing!"

If you do go with the front fender mount (which does look pretty sharp, BTW), you will want to make sure that you're running a pretty flexible antenna and probably a spring at the base too. I know more than one or two guys that have tried something similar and ended up with a broken antenna due to tree limbs and brush.

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »
I had the hood mount on my TJ and the CB only picked up the engine, when the engine would rev so would my CB. I have the wilson flex and it has been very hardy in all conditions,

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
Either NTF communications in the northeast or Dean at Comtek (at the Road King on Barlow) will sell you exactly what you need for coax.

You may be happier by just pulling halfway clean power off the battery and just saying "It's a trail CB...it's not like I want to talk to Puerto Rico on this thing!"

If you do go with the front fender mount (which does look pretty sharp, BTW), you will want to make sure that you're running a pretty flexible antenna and probably a spring at the base too. I know more than one or two guys that have tried something similar and ended up with a broken antenna due to tree limbs and brush.

You hit it on the nut............I know it is a trail CB and I am good with that..............having said that with a reasonable approach to install I would like it to be the best trail CB that it can be (again within reason) so putting some thought into the install can at least help with that.  And if you haven't noticed yet I am somewhat of an anal retentive obsessive compulsive type that likes to research as many angles and approaches as possible before proceeding.  Not that it makes my install any better but at least I learned a few things.

As for a fender mount..................I just can't do it.................at least not yet.............the thought of drilling a hole in my brand new toy at this point makes my skin crawl.  Besides I have that fancy dancy mount coming from Cooltech and that seems like a well protected spot for it at this point.

Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it and feel like I am making a more educated decision as a result.

As for install, I think the 510XL will fit in the armrest storage.  There is a wire feed channel on it that the mike cable will come out of and I am pretty sure I can drill a couple of holes in the bottom to run my antenna and power out of without much difficulty.  I like the out of site out of mind concept of it, but still reasonable accessible and visible to the driver. 
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 03:35:36 PM »
As for install, I think the 510XL will fit in the armrest storage.  There is a wire feed channel on it that the mike cable will come out of and I am pretty sure I can drill a couple of holes in the bottom to run my antenna and power out of without much difficulty.  I like the out of site out of mind concept of it, but still reasonable accessible and visible to the driver. 

If you're going to put the main unit inside your armrest, you'll probably want an auxiliary speaker. Lucky for you, it's "easy like cake" to slide one of those into the padding over the sport bar.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
If you're going to put the main unit inside your armrest, you'll probably want an auxiliary speaker. Lucky for you, it's "easy like cake" to slide one of those into the padding over the sport bar.

Does Dean up at RoadKing carry external speakers that would work for that?  I am thinking it would have to be a 3" X 3" to stow away up there.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: Uniden 510XL CB Install plus what antenna?
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 12:01:57 PM »
Yes he does. Failing that, NTF communications in the Northeast will also have them, and you may even be able to find them at your local Radio Shack - or whatever they're called these days.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 04:15:33 PM »
Yes he does. Failing that, NTF communications in the Northeast will also have them, and you may even be able to find them at your local Radio Shack - or whatever they're called these days.

Radioshack.........."The Source" is basically a junk store now  :'(  The Radio Shack of our youth is no more.  I stopped by there a week or so ago to see if they had any CB's. (back in the day they would have had a ton) and the guy looked at me like I had three heads.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »
But I bet he could sell you a nice computer or cell phone  ;)
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 11:57:13 PM »
Yeah, with the exception of Dean, the selection of CB's locally is dismal at best.  The local places with best selection in order of my experience are : Dean at Roadking, Flying J truckstops, other truckstops, Can tire etc.  The online places mentioned like Durham radio, Radioworld.ca and other online sources seem to be pretty good too.

You can get into all kinds of bells, whistles and other gimmicks which we don't need for trail communication.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 12:32:42 AM »
esso across from road king sells a bunch of misc stuff and radios but generally has been refirbished.  but good prices
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 12:36:08 AM by FiEND »
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2010, 12:25:30 PM »
Flying J down south has CBs, and external speakers, ect.... too
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 12:49:17 PM »
I am happy as a clam with my Uniden.  I am assuming I will be able to find cables and connectors at "The Source" or some of the other electronics shops...............if not back up to RoadKing I go.

I don't mind supporting him anyway as it seems that he supports the CJA and it makes sense to support the retailers that support us.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's