Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Uniden 510XL CB Install plus what antenna?  (Read 11090 times)

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
Re: Uniden 510XL CB Install plus what antenna?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 12:10:17 AM »
Well I got the cables run and the CB hooked up?  I put it in the arm rest console.  Going ton run an external speaker as soon as I can find one.  More importantly is my antenna and mount showing up this week, which should be the case as they where both shipped a few days before Christmas.

I am going to officially call this my first modification, I figure drilling a hole through the bottom of the arm rest compartment qualifies  ::). Especially when the wife says "what the he'll are you gonna do with that." as I am climbing into the jeep armed with my drill and a 3/8th bit.

Ran the antenna cable through the louvered vents behind the spare mount and down the wiring channel for rear light, then up under the carpets under and through the arm rest.  No cables seen except right at the tail get where the light harness comes through.

Wired the CB direct to the battery running the wire under the carpets and up beside the passenger door out into the hood rig at the battery.  Followed the wire run and grounding as shown on the project JK forum. 

Haven't mounted the cb in the compartment as yet in case I can't get an external speaker I will just strap it to the top of the arm rest for the Jan 1 run.  When I do mount it I plan on using 2 inch wide Velcro tape, so that I can keep it from rattling around yet easily remove temporarily if I feel the need.  Was a fun little afternoon project that my son Drew assisted with, he pretty much is at my side as soon as I head to the jeep with tools, and short of losing a molding fastener under the seat in one of the mount channels for about 15 minutes there was no excitement.

2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 07:59:01 AM »
  Followed the wire run and grounding as shown on the project JK forum. 

That's a good resource for JK folks, even if the admin is a bit a fart knocker.  :D

Haven't mounted the cb in the compartment as yet in case I can't get an external speaker I will just strap it to the top of the arm rest for the Jan 1 run. 
I know for sure that both Road King and NTF communications have them.

When I do mount it I plan on using 2 inch wide Velcro tape, so that I can keep it from rattling around yet easily remove temporarily if I feel the need. 
That stuff is super-handy. I use it for mounting the chassis of my 2 meter rig to the top of my security drawer, and I've used it in the past to mount commercial VHF rigs on the inside of blasting packs for geophysical work.

If you buy the "Platinum" stuff from Crappy tire, it is super-sticky for a given size. Four 2" X 4" pieces hold my 2 meter rig so securely that I can barely move the thing when I want to pull it out for programming. I guess if I was smart, I would have mounted it so that I didn't have to move it when I want to program it. :-[

[/quote]
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »
Well hell.

I ordered the bracket only from cooltech so no antenna stud.  Anyone know if I can get this at RoadKing?  I can't believe I have to go up there again, one day I will be smart I know it cuz my mom said so.

2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 08:29:35 PM »
Good choice on the radio. I've got one in the ranger, but I shattered my fiberglass antenna last winter when it was really cold by going under a low bridge a little too fast. LOL...

When you wired up your radio....you fused your leads as close to the battery as possible right? If you're getting an tuneable antenna, be sure to get an SWR meter on it so that you can maximize the radio's potential.
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2010, 06:10:09 AM »
Well hell.

I ordered the bracket only from cooltech so no antenna stud.  Anyone know if I can get this at RoadKing?  I can't believe I have to go up there again, one day I will be smart I know it cuz my mom said so.

Yup. Dean will have everything you need there. It's easy to forget something like the antenna stud - especially since some coax cables (like the one for my multiband rig) terminate with a stud.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 12:56:07 PM »
So I'm pulling the trigger on getting a CB.

I am probably going to go see Dean since I would like to try and get it in before the run on Saturday.  I just want to go there armed with a list of items to get.  here is what I have so far.

Uniden 510
Coax cable - I have read that the length of cable doesn't really matter, any opinions?
Antenna mount  - AV.NINE made one up for me so I will be able to test it out.
Antenna - Wilson flex, should I get the 3' or 4' will there be much of a difference?
quick disconnect - I don't have a lot of clearance going into my garage so I want to be able to take it off easily
external speaker - will be mounting the cb in the center console

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »
18' foot cable.  I found 12' just wasn't long enough to run the wire out of the way

I have the 4' wilson on the TJ and I like it... am running a huge assed steel whip on the YJ and so far its been awesome.

You WILL need the mount kit for the antenna...(it's a nut an isolating washer and a lock washer type thing)... it doesn't come with the antenna.

Afterthought... maybe your quick disconnect takes the place of the mounting kit.... not sure.  I just know I went home without the mounting kit and had to return.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »
Noted.  Thanks.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
If you need one I have the mount kit that Fug was talking about, if you want it it's yours.

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »
Awesome, thank you.  I will see if the quick disconnect comes with one, if not I will definitely grab that from you.

I am grabbing everything this afternoon, so I will know shortly.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 02:23:16 PM »
Quick disconnect or no you will need an antenna mounting stud.

Also have a look and see if Dean has multiple quick disconnects and get a good one.  The one I got sucked and was not very secure...............it was definitely quick disconnect but I want to be the one disconnecting not every little bump on the trail.

Cable length does matter.......................it needs to be long enough to be strung through your jeep under carpets around corners etc to reach your antenna  ;D

If you don't have any pick up a roll of electrical wire for wiring your CB to the battery and ground.

If you want a good idea how to thread your wiring drop me a PM or search on the JK forum for CB mounting as there is a great step by step with pictures on there.  I didn't mount mine were they did but it was good to know where to go through the firewall to power it etc.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 05:35:16 PM »
Crap...Comtek is closed until Feb 1st.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 05:44:32 PM »
i don't use or recommend quick disconnects.  they all suck.  when the jeep is bouncing and vibrating they don't get a good connection and get worse over time.  if you must, get a shorter antenna or a wilson flex and bend it under your rear wiper when you need it out of the way.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 07:39:12 PM »
i don't use or recommend quick disconnects.  they all suck.  when the jeep is bouncing and vibrating they don't get a good connection and get worse over time.  if you must, get a shorter antenna or a wilson flex and bend it under your rear wiper when you need it out of the way.

Exactly what I do with mine............works like a charm
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »
Another word of advice I havent seen mentioned in this thread is dont key the mic with no antenna connected! The CB will send out a signal and the antenna radiates it to the outside world. Thats why you use an SWR meter to tune it. If there is no antenna, the power your transmitting will try to dissipate through your coax, but also may end up coming back and frying your transistors. This is an expensive repair if not a new radio... When setting up your CB, it would be good practice to plug your mic in last so that this doesn't happen! If you need an SWR meter id be happy to let you use mine. Its usually with me in my rig anyways :)
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD