Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Trxus MT. Please vote for tall skinny and/or tall medium sizes you want.  (Read 9890 times)

Offline CB3

• Stocker
Hi, I'm CB3. I am not an Interco employee. I'm a 4x4 owner who lives in USA WA State between British Columbia and Oregon. I live near Mt St Helens. At medium and higher elevations during winter I have similar weather to Western Canada with winter ice and snow. At lower elevations I have lots of mud. I want a tire that can get it done on mud, snow, and ice, and be good at other offroad terrains, and be a good daily driver tire on highway.

I like Trxus MT. I find them good on all terrains on and off road, including winter roads and daily driving on road. I think they'd be even better for winter roads, all purpose use, and for daily driving on highway if there was a good selection of tall skinny and tall medium width sizes.

If you like to have more skinny and medium width sizes of Trxus MT, please vote for 3 sizes you'd like to have. Your votes will make the new sizes (that are voted for) possible to get made.

If there is sufficient interest, Interco might make the most popularly requested sizes.

I talked with a senior Interco employee about this. He suggested I make a thread about it at whatever forum I belong to. He told me to contact him after the thread is finished, and he will review it. If there is sufficient interest, he will submit it to Interco management for consideration, and the most popularly requested sizes will have a good chance of getting made.

He said new sizes have to be based on existing molds. i.e. - new heights must based on existing widths.

The existing molds can make 10.1, 10.5, 10.8, and/or 11.2 section width tires. Those are the section widths we have to choose from in whatever heights we want, within the limitations of how tall a radial tire sidewall can be relative to section width and still corner acceptably on road (for the given rim height and load rating). Using this information, I have compiled a list of likely size choices.

Please vote for 3 sizes you want. If you do not see the size you want listed in the polling area above, please post a size request. I will submit poll results and on-topic posts to Interco.

It's up to you which new sizes get made. The sizes with most votes/posts will be most likely to be made.

=====

Note: Interco is currently in the process of resuming production of all Trxus MT sizes they previously made. Production is being resumed one size at a time. Several sizes are already back in production and available (such as 33 X 12.5 R15 and 34 X 12.5 R16). All previously made sizes will soon be available in tire stores again (over next few months). Interco is also willing to consider making new popularly requested sizes based on your votes and posts in this thread.

=====

P.S. - I omitted the following sizes because they are already being made:

31 X 10.8 R15C is already made (though it's called a 31 X 10.5)

32 X 10.5 R16 is already made (265/75R16D)

33 X 10.1 R16 is already made (255/85R16D)

=====

I plan to submit the poll and on-topic posts to Interco at end of January 2011.

Thank you for your participation, CB3
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:59:31 AM by CB3 »

Offline CB3

• Stocker
Re: Trxus MT. Please vote for tall skinny and/or tall medium sizes you want.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:26:21 AM »
This post (post #2) is unnecessary and I'd like to delete it, but don't know how. How can I delete this post?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:37:30 AM by CB3 »

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:56:59 AM »
Tell interco to worry more about making truxus MTs balance. The weight required to balance them is rediculious.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:31:29 AM »
CB3 the yellow type you used for your post is hard to read, but that may be due to my screen color for the main page when logged on.

esi, my oppinion: if they were to remove the few ounces of rubber they use on the sidewall to build up the tire name they would be easier to balance. Other than that, they are a large lug tire with soft component that will loose pieces and throw the balance off  every time that happens. I've gone to balance beads and am more than happy with the tire.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:34:09 AM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:35:02 AM »
are the tires actually sold as all the sizes listed(lt flotation tires), or are they the flotation size conversion of the lt metric sizes, if so, it may be helpfull to use the sizes they are sold as.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:37:10 AM by Zombie »
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline CB3

• Stocker
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 03:55:38 PM »
CB3 the yellow type you used for your post is hard to read, but that may be due to my screen color for the main page when logged on.

esi, my oppinion: if they were to remove the few ounces of rubber they use on the sidewall to build up the tire name they would be easier to balance. Other than that, they are a large lug tire with soft component that will loose pieces and throw the balance off  every time that happens. I've gone to balance beads and am more than happy with the tire.

My screen is dark grey and yellow is easy for me to read. I will change the yellow font to something easy for everyone to read. What should I change it to?

Your idea about saving weight by not having the raised letters sounds like a great idea to me. I'm not sure if Interco will agree, but I think it's a great idea.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:08:01 PM by CB3 »

Offline CB3

• Stocker
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »
are the tires actually sold as all the sizes listed(lt flotation tires), or are they the flotation size conversion of the lt metric sizes, if so, it may be helpfull to use the sizes they are sold as.

It is my intention/hope that they be listed and sold using the flotation/inches sizes I posted, but Interco will have final say on that (and everything).

You have made me realize something though, I should go check their metric sizes to see of they already offer some of the R16 and R17 sizes I stated in flotation/inches sizes. Color me embarrassed if some of those R16, R17 sizes in the poll already exist in R16, R17 metric sizes.

Offline CB3

• Stocker
Tire weight and balancing....
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:01:15 PM »
I appreciate others concerns about balancing.

I have experienced is that a narrower tire (of same height) is much lighter and easier to balance than a wider tire.

I think the new sizes will be much easier to balance than wider sizes. IMO.

I take your suggestions seriously, and appreciate your input.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:06:09 PM by CB3 »

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »
My screen is dark grey and yellow is easy for me to read. I will change the yellow font to something easy for everyone to read. What should I change it to?

Your idea about saving weight by not having the raised letters sounds like a great idea to me. I'm not sure if Interco will agree, but I think it's a great idea.

I wouldn't concern yourself with the post color. The main screen is very easy to read. Thanks.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »
i think interco should focus on a new version of the trxus line. some say they liek them on the street and work well off road, but balancing has been an issue as well as they only have 2 ply sidewalls. that may not seem like a big deal but when goodyear, toyo, bfg, and most other tire companies are building m/t radials with at least 3 ply sidewalls and still balance out fine. this is just my opinion. interco has been a dominating tire company in the hardcore off road industry for years but it seems like the mainstream companies spent the money where it counts in the last 10 years.
trxus m/t could be a better tire, and it needs more then a new tire size. and please get rid of the trxus sts. seriously, i cant figure out which tire is worse, trxus sts or tsl thornbirds. maybe ill make my own poll...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:15:33 PM by hps4evr »
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 07:17:12 AM »
seriously, i cant figure out which tire is worse, trxus sts or tsl thornbirds. maybe ill make my own poll...

That is definitely a tough one unless you have a F-350 with 16" of lift then both are "winners"
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 08:22:04 AM »
While I do like the traction of these tires, the weight hurts in many ways (un-sprung weight -> suspension -> handling etc.) .

Some focus on BEADS, sidewall, stability (less movement of belts, plies etc. - I find they "squirm" sometimes and not at others) and addressing balancing issues would be greatly appreciated (beads weren't working, went back to road force balance).

I blew *TWO* beads on vacation this summer, which in one case tore up into the sidewall right to the tread. Yes I was properly inflated, yes, they were mounted by professional shops, one was at 100 KPH downhill with a trailer on in mid-30's Celcius and one was at 80 KPH with nothing attached in mid-20's Celcius weather.

Oh and they won't hold air... the two used replacement tires that were put on in BC have not needed air since the summer, but I fill the two Interco M/T's at *least* weekly, often with 10psi!  Same rims, mounted/re-mounted by pro shops and the guy didn't do anything special when he did the emergency Sunday used tire mounting - he didn't even balance, his balancer was broken, and I haven't had a single balance issue with them!
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 08:46:12 AM »
Defintaly need to beef the sidewalls, my dad runs the bias ply version on rig and they are tough but I know others have run the radials and had problems.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 01:02:49 PM »
After years of running interco junk, I honestly dont know why anyone puts them on dual purpose rigs anymore. For that matter, they dont belong on single purpose rigs other then mud trucks either.

A quality radial with good QC, not built in some crap hole like mexico will work just as well in every situation, and not tear up your front end on those highway miles.

Offroad performance is 80% air pressure. Tread pattern and compound do contribute, but are more situational to temperature and terrain.

Trxus are a crap tire that I wouldnt run if you gave them to me.

Taking a survey about what sizes we'd like to see them in, is like asking what condiments do you want on  your crap sandwich. Its still a crap sandwich, and a Trxus is still a crap tire.

Hopefully thats not to foggy ;)

Disclaimer is that its only my two cents.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 02:45:40 PM »
Trxus according to MANY offload websites are a BRUTAL tire. Sure, you might find someone that likes them on a trail rig only , but as road miles start to increase, the Trxus shows its true colors...brown as in doggy do brown, ie crap.

My vote is to DISCONTINUE a garbage tire.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.