Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: What products are Jeep guys into?  (Read 22291 times)

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
Re: What products are Jeep guys into?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
Sweet, thanks for the info! I should probably stop hijacking Evos thread tho...

I know a bunch of people make them but what about a steering/tie rod kit? Or do you already offer one?

Offline EVOLUTION

• UberWheeler
    • EMF Rod Ends Website
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2011, 01:34:22 PM »
Sweet, thanks for the info! I should probably stop hijacking Evos thread tho...

I know a bunch of people make them but what about a steering/tie rod kit? Or do you already offer one?
we make our own drag links/ tie rods to the length needed & rebuildable/greaseable tie rod ends with a "standard" chevy taper and the Rockwell 2.5 ton tie rod ends.  We also make our own small & large double ended rams, ball sockets etc. 
Evolution Machining & Fabrication  403.935.3540
Evo Forums:  http://www.evolutionmachining.com
Evo Joints website:  http://www.emfrodends.com
Facebook Page:  http://www.facebook.com/EMFRodEnds

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2011, 11:44:16 AM »
This may be a long shot, but I think if you made more accessories for stock bumbers (TJ) that would be a huge hit!  I know several guys who want all the add ones that you get with an aftermarket bumber but with out the price tag.  For myself I would like a Jerry Can and Hi-Lift mounting system that attacheds the the stock spare tire mount.
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2011, 09:00:35 PM »
This may be a long shot, but I think if you made more accessories for stock bumbers (TJ) that would be a huge hit!  I know several guys who want all the add ones that you get with an aftermarket bumber but with out the price tag.  For myself I would like a Jerry Can and Hi-Lift mounting system that attacheds the the stock spare tire mount.

you would want all that weight on your rear door??

I would think it would be a little on the heavy side, especially if you go with larger, heavier tires.

that is one reason for the swing outs, just my 2 cents.

I have heard the light brackets for jk's and tj's(sounds simple and small to keep in stock),
some good cb ant. mounts maybe(again simple and easy to stock),
sliders, front and rear bumpers(with swing outs, hi-lift mounts, jerry cans.), steering stuff is good.
maybe some decent control arms that are adjustable(I had looked into them, just didn't get that far.

that all being said, the jeep is getting written off so I don't need jeep stuff anymore.
I like how you ask what we want, got to like that in a business :)

keep up the good work, I had a look at your website and you have some nice looking builds.

oh ya, the lowest price for the best product ::), for me depending on what the stuff is, I don't mind paying for quality, especially if it is a safety thing.

for the xj, it was not pretty, but it drove ok after I redid the entire front end steering stuff and unit bearings.

steve
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »
I have mentioned this to a few people and they said the same thing about the weight issue...  Does anyone know exaclty how much weight stock TJ tailgate can hold?  if it doesnt hold that much maybe include upgraded door hinges that will hold more weight.  I would imagine that all this would be less expensive then a whole new pumper....I could be wrong though! I have been before   ::)
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2011, 07:09:10 PM »
I have mentioned this to a few people and they said the same thing about the weight issue...  Does anyone know exaclty how much weight stock TJ tailgate can hold?  if it doesnt hold that much maybe include upgraded door hinges that will hold more weight.  I would imagine that all this would be less expensive then a whole new pumper....I could be wrong though! I have been before   ::)

Just save up for a new bumper with a tire carrier.   There are probably many good reasons why no one has come up with a kit to hold the extra weight off the tail gate since 1997.  Those engineers are fairly smart.  And the stock bumpers are too flimsy to do anything with.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2011, 09:09:43 PM »
Just save up for a new bumper with a tire carrier.   There are probably many good reasons why no one has come up with a kit to hold the extra weight off the tail gate since 1997.  Those engineers are fairly smart.  And the stock bumpers are too flimsy to do anything with.

*ahem*  Bestop tire carrier

Holds up to a 37" tire and opens with the tail gate.  I love mine

Here's an article on the install here
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2011, 09:17:53 PM »
not too bad, still not on the tail gate so its not the hinges that hold the weight, but not that bad of an option.
I would still want a better bumper anyway :)
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline JJonesee

• Budget Lift
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »
Im new to the site and all - but coming from Houston, where I can hit ten shops when I throw a rock, and don't get hit with ridiculous custom fees..

Shops I have been to in Canada sell full retail +markup on states prices. This means you could turn a profit on common items if the price was comparable.  Inventory is key, and this is the problem.  Jeep folks are cheap - and have no patience.  Parts are expensive to fabricate without having inventory.

If you look at the industry trends - the manufactures are moving to a smaller product line, and pushing more to a distributor set up.  This is typical in a recession.

That being said - Clay already has a single world known product.  That is his bread and butter.  It is one of the best.  The problem with that product is there is 2-dozen cheaper methods for 95% of that market.. 

So - find another niche product no-one else has.  (or limited/inferior competition)

- The 231/D300 doubler is a prime example.  Stupid simple - but the companies that make them cant build them fast enough.  Material for the shaft is the difficult part. (that and the splining)
- If you rounded up TJ windshield hinges, drilled out the pin and made it removable, they would sell like hotcakes.  (I think someone sold the pins at one time)
- DIY Highline kit.  Theres only a few doing these as complete kits, none as DIY I am aware of.  DIY is a smaller market, but shipping is cheaper.

I have dozens of ideas.  I have been doing this for too long.
06' Rubicon LJ
52' M-100
82' Scrambler x 3

Offline JJonesee

• Budget Lift
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »
By the way, the 1/4 ton trailer idea is not a bad one..  (Yes I have one of those also)

Its a close nit market - but I dont believe anyone is  making the tub in DIY pieces (It would have to be this way to save on shipping.)

Typically referred to as the M-416 style.  The trailer on the other page is a Canadian M-101 (Not to be confused with the US M-101) This is my M-100. (Older than M416's and CDN M-101's)

Wife's Rubicon on Engineer Pass in CO with the M-100.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:14:08 PM by JJonesee »
06' Rubicon LJ
52' M-100
82' Scrambler x 3