Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2011 Trail projects  (Read 12719 times)

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
2011 Trail projects
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »
For the 2011 season we have some ideas, some preliminary plans for various trail work to be done.

However, suggestions are always welcomed!

Post or PM if you know of the following, or other work that should be done. Mostly focusing on the Mclean Creek area for now.

• Sloppy, low-lying trail section that could possibly be diverted to higher, harder ground
  • Trail entrance or road crossing points that need work or may give off a bad perception type image
  • Creek crossings where bank erosion is obvious
  • General trail repair, fencing, abandoned vehicle / camper / garbage removal, etc...

Jeep
With stuff

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
Re: 2011 Trail projects
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »
What kind of need is there for a recycling center at trail heads or trail meeting spots?

I know that if you set something up the gov. will let you drop off the recyclable material at the big green bin drop spots around the city.

02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:40:37 PM »
For the most part people are becoming more responsible about not littering. I don't think there is enough volume to setup recycling centers.

We always preach the "pack out what you packed in" rule.
There are garbage bins at the meeting and camping areas.

Not sure I'd want to get into micro managing the refuse by separating plastics, glass, paper, etc... In the bush.
That is up to the individual and an easier task to do once back at home.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:55:46 PM by frenchy »
Jeep
With stuff

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:45:45 PM »
There is an area by the Top of the World turnoff that can use some culverts installed fro drainage, John and I took pictures last year. There is also the bridge in Waiparous that could use some love.

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 02:08:50 PM »
There is an area by the Top of the World turnoff that can use some culverts installed fro drainage, John and I took pictures last year. There is also the bridge in Waiparous that could use some love.

I'm awaiting pics from John of that area, we should be able to do something. Thanks guys.

That old AURS Waiparous bridge is beyond repair. It has served it's time for many years!
We are hoping to divert the trail, maybe prior to the previous CJA bridge as to not cross Meadow Creek twice.
Bridges are expensive and very time consuming.
Jeep
With stuff

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »
Fras if you have pics wanna send em.

I won't be home until sunday Serge, so i can't get access to them until sunday night.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:45:55 PM »
To bypass both bridges there is probably about a days work with a bobcat to level out the old trail where it wsa reclaimed and maybe about a hundred feet of corderow road to build . Woild have to walk it or drive it to confirm . The old trail goes around the base of the hill that everybody drives up for the view and where the new bridge is it is on the trail coming down the easy way on the right and that part has been reclaimed.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 08:56:14 PM »
I am not sure if it would be considered a trail project or not but there is that corner on the way to the falls where the Toyota went over last year ( I think) and where the 4dr JK dropped a wheel over the edge.  There was some mention that there is a way around that should be used and that corner should be blocked off.

2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 10:10:59 PM »
I am not sure if it would be considered a trail project or not but there is that corner on the way to the falls where the Toyota went over last year ( I think) and where the 4dr JK dropped a wheel over the edge.  There was some mention that there is a way around that should be used and that corner should be blocked off.

An illegal bypass you say? ;D I'll have to look into that.

Isn't this the only somewhat of an obstacle where you should turn auto pilot off?

You could stack rocks  :)
Jeep
With stuff

Offline Ostego

• UberWheeler
  • Full Size Jeep
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 11:56:44 AM »

That corner is getting worse each year especially if you have a larger vehicle or its 'winter/icy conditions'.
'95 ZJ: 3" Budget lift, quick-disconnects, 31x10.5 Savero MT's
'74 J20: 401, Holley Street Avenger 4 barrel, custom  camper.
'75 F100: 351M, 5" Super Lift.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 12:23:44 PM »
We submitted a request for a TFA to the GAMP committee to fix that issue. They never got back to us with a yes to approve the work. I have just sent off an e-mail asking for an update and some feed back.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:41:07 PM »
We submitted a request for a TFA to the GAMP committee to fix that issue. They never got back to us with a yes to approve the work. I have just sent off an e-mail asking for an update and some feed back.

I don't know what the rules are for trail "repairs/modifications" but after looking at vid of that spot it seems to me that a few guys and a few hours (dependant on the # of warm bodies) could take down that one tree and take a few feet off of the inside of that corner.

It wouldn't stop the erosion issue on the outside however so in a couple of years we could potentially be back to the same issue.

The toughest part would be the stump and roots of that big evergreen but I am sure some well place cuts and some intelligent winching would get it out.

Like I say though I don't know what the rules are for trail modifications are.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »
With srd taking out a tree is a no no unless it is already dead .  The bypass has one tree lying on the ground across the trail . At that spot I,ve always gone over the edge and across the rocks .

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 07:54:58 AM »
We scoped out that area a year ago and found an old  cut line in towards the bush.  The bypass is there. As Blair said, we just need SRD and GAMP to approve it.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline THE GOLD DIIGGER

• UberWheeler
  • This is cool lets see you do this.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
I will help with some work out on the trail if you need some one just let me know. :)