Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Safeway Gas  (Read 8421 times)

YoungFluff03TJ

Safeway Gas
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »
Alright so I've been getting Safeway gas for a while now. Cus its cheap when i enter my phone number in. And it has been good. But lately when i goto the Westhills one I get consistently worse gas milage. I reset my trip meter everytime I get gas, and the last 5 or so times I've gone to this place I get around 90 km less per tank.....I thought it was my Jeep (which may be still possible) but then I went to a different station and it went right back up...I dont use the heat when I drive so it cant be a big pull from that.
Anyone else have a problem with this? Or is someone stealing my gas? Is it just from the mad changes in temperature - I know when I filled last time it was around 0 and the next day it was -30 (thanks calgary) so is it possible the gas contracted that much? It only says volume corrected to 15 degrees on the tank...

Anyway....end rant.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Safeway Gas
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »
Is the safeway 45kms further than the other gas station? Lol jk...

But seriously. You DON'T use your heat??

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »
Driving from Canmore to Airdrie several days a week I notice the weather makes a HUGE difference in my fuel mileage.. No matter where I get fuel from. (Safeway/petro/fas gas/ 7/11 or whatever) If the temperature goes below -10 I instantly lose mileage while I'm not even using 4x4 and I'm driving nicer (Icy roads.. Can't let loose in the truck so much) If there isn't a cold snap I run about 11.6 L per 100km.. once it gets cold it goes down to like 15.xx L per 100km.. So big difference.

Hope that helps!
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »
Driving from Canmore to Airdrie several days a week I notice the weather makes a HUGE difference in my fuel mileage.. No matter where I get fuel from. (Safeway/petro/fas gas/ 7/11 or whatever) If the temperature goes below -10 I instantly lose mileage while I'm not even using 4x4 and I'm driving nicer (Icy roads.. Can't let loose in the truck so much) If there isn't a cold snap I run about 11.6 L per 100km.. once it gets cold it goes down to like 15.xx L per 100km.. So big difference.

Hope that helps!

Funnily enough I have noticed this recently as well.  When it is -20 I seem to be hitting that 14 to 15L/100km mark but when warmer it is closer to 11 to 12L/100km mark. This is hwy stuff from here to Red Deer or Medhat so very little if any 4X4 engaged............never really paid any attention to it till I read this post.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

YoungFluff03TJ

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:56:18 AM »

But seriously. You DON'T use your heat??

Naw justin I dont need to :) I was born in the winter :P

Thanks for the replys. This makes sense I guess....Its just.... annoying. I thought it would be due to the difference in temperature (as gas is volume corrected).... but the damn coldness

At least i know its not a technical problem

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:02:57 PM »
How new is that particular gas station? I've heard the new the underground tanks the better mileage you get.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »
i read a few years ago that (most?  all?) gas stations switch to a winter blend which loses fuel economy.  same with ethenol blends.  there are also fuel stations that would throw a code in my avenger and my buddies sebring.  after a tank of different fuel, the light would go off.  i would also notice the smell from the exhaust was different... worse.  never checked fuel economy though.  the bad one was co-op.  fill up there and light would be on within 20km.  never used safeway gas.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 02:56:32 PM »
i would also notice the smell from the exhaust was different... worse. 

who the frack are you kidding AL?...

Is the same phenomena happens when you eat beans and Doritos for a week?

It must be the fuel...  ::)

HA!

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 06:17:18 PM »
Good, I'm not the only one who noticed that even warmed up, the fuel economy was terrible when it was cold out. I thought we were supposed to get *better* mileage with denser air (think forced induction), and colder is denser.  Perhaps the curves in our computers over-compensate rich when it's that cold out.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 07:11:56 PM »
I asked my dad since he's a mechanic and he says that although engines do run better on denser air, everything else doesn't.. Longer warm up times harder on parts yada yada
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
Probably largely due to the increased thickness of oil in diff, t-case, transmission and of course cold tires.  Not to mention pushing Jeep branded brick through denser air.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »

Hope that helps!

Fuel injected vehicles are equipt with an ambient air temp sensor, so when the air is cold it is more dense and the computer will up the fuel statedgy.  On start-up the engine will use a super rich mixture because it is easier to start in cold weather, and will continue to run the engine using more fuel and a retarded timing curve to bring the engine into closed loop faster(emission reasons).  These are a few reason why no matter how you drive you will use more fuel in the winter.

YoungFluff03TJ

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 10:37:13 PM »
As for the station - its definitely not new. I knew sakeway wouldnt let me down  :D

Makes sense that winter would attack my bank account. Another present from calgary i suppose. Ill just think of it as a fun-time-winter-driving/drifting fee

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
i read a few years ago that (most?  all?) gas stations switch to a winter blend which loses fuel economy.  same with ethenol blends.  there are also fuel stations that would throw a code in my avenger and my buddies sebring.  after a tank of different fuel, the light would go off.  i would also notice the smell from the exhaust was different... worse.  never checked fuel economy though.  the bad one was co-op.  fill up there and light would be on within 20km.  never used safeway gas.

X2

I cant say about the co-op gas, but the ethanol blend absolutely hurts economy, and "winter fuel" seems to burn more fuel.  Best fuel I have had luck with this winter is Shell for mileage. 

I read somewhere awhile back that all the oil companies that sell fuel in Canada must have an average of 10% ethanol blend.  Further reading indicated that not all gas stations used E-10, nor do many indicate that they have it when you stop to fill up.  Also, it appears that a general rule is premium fuel has 0% Ethanol. 

The ethanol blends have "less energy" per litre, so they burn more fuel, and that is why vehicles with the capability to run E-85 burn a significantly more fuel than when they burn E-10 (or regular fuel).
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »
I do know with warmer air, you will get better fuel economy(minimal) but it will be slightly better, the colder the air will also allow you to get more power as it will burn more fuel. something like that anyway.
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(