Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Silverfox - 2011 Mango Rubi - Progression  (Read 19973 times)

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
Silverfox - 2011 Mango Rubi - Progression
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
Ok so I figure while it is not technically a build in the true sense of the word I have done a few modifications and have a few more to go so I thought I would consolidate it here in one thread and go from start to finish..............or start to moving towards finish :)

This was how she came off the lot. In fact it was the day she came off the lot.

After a couple of midnight highway trips I soon realized how bad stock JK headlights could be and at the suggestion of one of the members here went with the Hella H4 upgrade from Susquehanna Motorsports http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4669 with the help from my favourite helper.

For anyone wanting more out of there lights I recommend this set..........great brightness and ranger, razor sharp cut off on low beam.  The only drawback is that for whatever reason the voltage signals for your driving lights cause the hella to turn on hi-beam.  Not a huge issue as soon as you turn on your head lights this is corrected and I am going to use a ProCal to reprogram my driving lights to my fogs.

After that I had been on a run or two without a radio and decided that not being able to talk to or hear from the other folks driving was a pain in the rear.  So I installed a Uniden 510 CB.  The CB went in the armrest storage container and mounted an external speaker up into the corner roll bar beside the drivers head.

Next on the list was onboard air............while I have no issue lending a my stuff or helping out I suck at using other peoples stuff just makes me uncomfortable that I am not prepared to do what is needed for simple trail running.  So I picked up the ARB onboard compressor and a custom bracket from Northridge4X4.ca as well as an ARB tire deflator.

I didn't like the idea of running the switch back inside and cutting a hole in the dash............for two reasons the first is I don't use the compressor without the hood up and pumping up tires so I need to get out and open the hood anyway...........that and I just wasn't reading to be carving up my new dash.  So I used some epoxy and a couple of rare earth magnets and mounted it against the inside of the motor well just forward of the battery..........good water protection there and handy.  I took a little time to waterproof the switch as much as possible so should be ok there.

From there it was lift time.  I debated doing it myself with some help from friends of course and in the end decided that it was something I wanted done a little quicker (would have taken me a couple of days at least and the JK is my daily driver) and I wanted some expertise and experience in doing it.  So Jay at Chanda Precision Motors took the JK in and installed the 2" OME lift with HD Coils, long travel shocks, Currie lower front control arm, and front and rear adjustable track bars.  Spidertrax wheel spacers for the stocker rims to work.  When it was all in I ended up with an additional 4"

Now that the lift was in..............well I guess it needed bigger tires (well perhaps need is a stretch).  Anyway I have been talking to this guy on and off for about 4 weeks about this set of 5 Tires and Rims he had up on Kijiji.........in his first ad he was looking for 1,500 for them and in the second ad he dropped to 1,400.  We had been communicating back and forth for a while and it looked like he wasn't interested in how much I wanted to pay...........no big deal as I wasn't sold on the tires anyway and hadn't had a good look at the rims.  The tires were Hankook Dynapro MT's and the Rims are Eagle Alloys Offroads Series 140.  After 5 weeks he had contacted me a couple times in the end he agreed to $900 for all five rims and tires........they rims are in perfect shape, not a scratch mark or corrosion on any of them.  The tires are probably 80% tread and 100% on the spare.  Score :)

Again I had my favourite helper out turning wrenches getting the new tires on.

So that is where she stands for now.........One order are a Poison Spyder JK Brawler Lite Bumper and a KingOne 9.5i Winch.

I have a few more things in mind I want to do but that will be it for a little bit.

A couple of poser shots in the driveway.

2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Silverfox - 2011 Mango Rubi - Progression
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:37:52 PM »
Poser  ::)

Looking good Shawn!
04 TJ Rubi

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 06:53:59 PM »
Nice fender!   ;)

Looking good.  I'm envious!

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »
your combination is spot on. looks good. the rims arent too much. the lift isnt over the top. the whole jeep sits just right. with new bumpers and a winch should drop it down a bit and it will look perfect. should perform even better. thanks for not putting 20" chrome rims and too much lift. :)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:40:02 AM »
What made you decide on the OME long travel shocks?

Thanks
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »
What made you decide on the OME long travel shocks?

Thanks

You mean why that brand or why long travel in general?
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:17:11 PM »
Nice work Shawn! I have lift envy :)

07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »
You mean why that brand or why long travel in general?
The long travel in general? Sorry should have specified.
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »

I am not sure I understand the question  ???

Long travel shocks so my suspension would have more travel.............am I missing something here?
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »

As opposed to what?  Putting on shorter ones?  Lift = more travel...
04 TJ Rubi

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 02:25:55 PM »
As opposed to what?  Putting on shorter ones?  Lift = more travel...
No, as opposed to the regular/standard travel ones that come with the 2.5" lift!  I've been reading up on this kit as I want to get it for myself and have heard that with 2.5" lift you can droop so much with the LT shocks that your springs will fall out and that if you compress to much it will tare off or damage the shock mount if you do not have big enough bump stops, not to mention that they are intended for 5" lift kits. This is why I was asking why he decide to go with the LT shocks over the regular ones.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »
Are you looking at these shocks for a JK or TJ?
04 TJ Rubi

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »
No, as opposed to the regular/standard travel ones that come with the 2.5" lift!  I've been reading up on this kit as I want to get it for myself and have heard that with 2.5" lift you can droop so much with the LT shocks that your springs will fall out and that if you compress to much it will tare off or damage the shock mount if you do not have big enough bump stops, not to mention that they are intended for 5" lift kits. This is why I was asking why he decide to go with the LT shocks over the regular ones.

Coil retainers and extended bump stops I also added.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 03:50:18 PM »
Are you looking at these shocks for a JK or TJ?
TJ  I was not considering the LT till now...Should I even bother?
Coil retainers and extended bump stops I also added.
Good to know, how much extra did those items set you back as I haven't looked at those yet?

Thanks guys

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »
If you want a cheap way to fit 33's and look cool at the mall, buy whatever shocks you want. If you want to havea rig that performs on the trail, then save your money, but the parts that you need, and get shocks that are appropriate for the intended use. Shawn wanted a rig that would perform on the trail while still maintaining good road manners, so he bought a well-built kit from OME and then added the parts needed to let it perform to the fullest.

Anyone that tells you to be afraid of LT shocks because they'll make your coils fall out isn't using their head. OF COURSE you need to add appropriate parts if you want more suspension performance with the same set of coils. It's just like sticking a set of coilovers on your rig. Yes the coilovers are the defining item in your lift...but you need to make sure that the rest of your suspension can keep up with them!
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(