Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Silverfox - 2011 Mango Rubi - Progression  (Read 19981 times)

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
Re: Silverfox - 2011 Mango Rubi - Progression
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 10:58:22 PM »
If you want a cheap way to fit 33's and look cool at the mall, buy whatever shocks you want. If you want to have a rig that performs on the trail, then save your money, but the parts that you need, and get shocks that are appropriate for the intended use. Shawn wanted a rig that would perform on the trail while still maintaining good road manners, so he bought a well-built kit from OME and then added the parts needed to let it perform to the fullest.

I'm not sure how I've given the impression to anyone that I want to wheel my Jeep at the mall or that I just want to fit 33's to look cool...but thanks for the unnecessary and alienating paragraph.  I was simply asking because no one has mentioned LT shocks to me before as an option, so I was curious why Shawn decided to go with them over the standard shocks from OME.
I'm sorry for highjacking your thread Shawn, but I need to make it clear that I log onto this site because I am serious about building up my rig to perform as well as it can on and off road and that I am looking for serious information to accomplish this.
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 07:05:37 AM »
No, as opposed to the regular/standard travel ones that come with the 2.5" lift!  I've been reading up on this kit as I want to get it for myself and have heard that with 2.5" lift you can droop so much with the LT shocks that your springs will fall out and that if you compress to much it will tare off or damage the shock mount if you do not have big enough bump stops, not to mention that they are intended for 5" lift kits. This is why I was asking why he decide to go with the LT shocks over the regular ones.

If nobody has previously mentioned LT shocks to you as an option, then why are you specifying two potential problems that might happen if you don't build your suspension system up properly? Or what amount of lift each set of shocks is supposedly set up for?

I'm going to be blunt here and then we can stop hijacking Shawn's thread. If you've got a question, read some related posts. If you still have a question after carefully reading the posts, go ahead and ask. I think you've got those two parts down. But please don't attempt to point out problems with someone's answer when they give you advice. I've seen you do it a couple of times, and that's why you're not always getting the most positive response from people here.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 07:21:43 AM »
TJ  I was not considering the LT till now...Should I even bother?Good to know, how much extra did those items set you back as I haven't looked at those yet?

Thanks guys

The standard length OME shocks that come with the kits are good for the lifts in the 2-3" range, if you want to step up to a lift in the 4+" range then go with the LTs.  The reason OME makes the LT shocks is to pair them up with other aftermarket lifts
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »
the best mod  you've made is that fancy rear fender flare ;)

the Girliefriend likes the look Shawn ;)  trying to convince her to do that to hers is not an easy sell ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
Thanks for the useful info black yj!
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
the best mod  you've made is that fancy rear fender flare ;)

the Girliefriend likes the look Shawn ;)  trying to convince her to do that to hers is not an easy sell ;)

I might actually just replace it with a stock flare.

I need a way to fully stuff the tires to see if they will rub............I am close but I think I actually might clear.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Tyn Pow

• Budget Lift
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 08:45:51 PM »
I need a way to fully stuff the tires to see if they will rub............I am close but I think I actually might clear.

Try a shop crane/engine lift or....find a spot in the NE/SE industrial areas with "concrete RTI ramps".  I've ramped mine right in the lot at work ;D

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 09:39:29 PM »
Try a shop crane/engine lift or....find a spot in the NE/SE industrial areas with "concrete RTI ramps".  I've ramped mine right in the lot at work ;D
actually.........................

i've done this too................ i hate to 'urban wheel' or whatever, but it really is a good way to see what rubs and what doesn't; 

~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline homeguy

• Budget Lift
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
Looks good Shawn.  Did you get your PS bumper yet?  Mine is supposed to come in this week.
2010 Mountain Edition, ARB front and rear diff covers, BFG AT's, Vision X Solstice XILS4102 & Solo's, S-Pod switch bezel, K&N drop in filter, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Poison Spyder front bumper, OME 2" lift, Rigid Industries Dually's & D2's, M8000

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »
I might actually just replace it with a stock flare.

Just cut all you're flares to match the broken one.  Works like a charm.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 10:19:38 AM »
Looks good Shawn.  Did you get your PS bumper yet?  Mine is supposed to come in this week.

Apparently early this week...........PS was behind as this seems to be a popular bumper.  WTF do I know, its coming and will be here before my winch is all I am worried about.  Looking forward to getting it on though.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 02:36:37 PM »
Next step in the evolution

2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline newfie glass

• UberWheeler
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 07:01:36 PM »
that trailer is bad arse! you should paint it to match the jeep.
Quality Paintless dent repair
403-807-1042

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 07:08:49 PM »
Nice rig and nice trailer... think I saw you today with it...  pointed out the trailer to my wife, saying that's what I am looking for..!!!   I think the trailer is a Jeep Guy Thing... 8)
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims
HD Broadcast Video Production Unit

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »
glad you made it home with it ..  hope you enjoy it
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer