Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Silverfox - 2011 Mango Rubi - Progression  (Read 19980 times)

Offline THE GOLD DIIGGER

• UberWheeler
  • This is cool lets see you do this.
Re: Silverfox - 2011 Mango Rubi - Progression
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »
Looks good now if i need someone to pull me out  your all set up!!!

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »
Holy crap, coming along nicely.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2011, 08:05:10 PM »
Tx guys..............don't think much will happen to her for a while.  Pretty much where I want it to be. 

Have a little mod I want to try to the rear bumper but need some time for that, maybe some lights but no rush
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »
looking amazing
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2011, 10:22:34 PM »
shawn, looks great; 
that bumper looks even better on the jeep than the counter  8) 8)

so when you goin to one tonnes and 40s?
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 11:40:21 PM »
Tx guys..............don't think much will happen to her for a while.  Pretty much where I want it to be. 

Have a little mod I want to try to the rear bumper but need some time for that, maybe some lights but no rush

Funny how we say things and then the world throws us a little curve.

Was out riding around minding my own business when the U-Joint decided to let go.  Fortunately for me there were plenty of folks on hand to get it back in workable shape and get me on home.

After checking out a few things it seems like the U Joint on the JK is somewhat prone to "falling apart"  and after some further research it seemed that the replacement parts from Dodge where going to run me in excess of $500.  Now not to be one to pass up an opportunity to upgrade I started to look into some alternatives...........many guys mentioned Chromoly Shafts and after market U-Joints.  I dug a little deeper and found the RCV Ultimate Dana 44 JK Front Shafts.

No More U Joint this is a CV joint similar in principal to the to the Toyota Birfield joint but upgraded by the folks at RCV performance.  The test results claim it will withstand pretty much the same abuse as a 35 spline Dana 60 and is backed by the RCV "you break it we replace it" warranty.  After a ton of reading and discussion with smarter mechanical folk than me I took the plunge and ordered them up.

They came in last Thursday and went in this weekend.

Here are the shafts waiting install.

A couple of the RCV shaft and joint.

Side by side comp with the short side Dana 44

And a couple after I go them in.

After the install I ran them threw the paces and I am very happy so far.  All my front end vibration is gone..........regardless of highway speed, in either 2 or 4 hi.

No crow hop in 4hi even on a tight turning radius.

They just seem to run smoother (maybe my imagination but meh its all good)  ::)

Simple to install.  The biggest issues I had was on the side that threw the ujoint, the dropped joint chewed the crap out of my hub bearing bolts and it took the better part of an hour to get them off.

I am super happy with these shafts and looking forward to giving them a little more of a workout.

So much for being mostly done.........................stay tuned more upgrades/mods to come  :-[
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
These are some sexy shafts you have Shawn... the rubbers are a matching colour to boot... ;D

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 12:18:33 AM »
Well after a while the broken fender started to get annoying so after looking into it a bit I was going to pick up some Metal Cloak flares.  I was up to the point of ordering and after reading the installation instructions I got to thinking that if those flares ever got caught on something they wouldn't break or likely even bend.  But the sheet metal on the front of the Rubi would peel off like a banana so I decided that I didn't want my fender flares being the strongest part of the body.

So I called up Stan and settled on the Bushwacker Flat flares.........which was what I had intended to swap out to back February.

The install is a little finicky but that is more due to getting a really good fit and making use of the existing JK splash gaurds (after some modifications)

Getting the existing flares off was fairly simple, pull out the plastic push tabs and then essentially rip it off.  (you don't reuse the factory clips)

It was ridiculous how much mud had accumulated in behind the splash guards but I cleaned em up and cut them as per the instructions.

Which is essentially you cut off anything that would extend beyond the sheet metal.

Putting the new ones on is again a little of a process, you mount brackets to the sheet metal that need to line up just so with the body lines, then reinstall the modified splash gaurds and then put on the Flares.  The fit is very tight and I think they have done a good job with the fit.  Some patience, finesse and force and I didn't have to modify anything that Bushwacker shipped to get a nice fit.

I am very happy with the fit, and the look.  Also on the ride home in the rain today no road spray covered my window so the Wackers cover my 35's where my stockers didn't.

Oh by the way if someone wants 3 and 3/4's lightly used JK Flares (no splash guards) you are welcome to them.............for a small token of appreciation of course :)
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 12:43:51 AM »
Looking into the Sway bar skid plate and some new sliders.

Maybe some soft doors and more lights.

Maybe a new rear bumper

Maybe I should rob a bank
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 07:41:17 AM »
now you need 37s to fill those wheel wells ;)

if you're robbing a bank soon let me know. i need money for my cage, steering, fenders, an atlas, D60s, stoker, hookers, blow, etc ;)

looks good though:  i like it
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2011, 09:32:34 AM »
great looking rig Shawn!
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
looks good. i like it. wheels need to be black. black wheels help in the muuuuuud. ;D
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Jeepless

• Budget Lift
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
I have the Bushwackers and I am happy with them but a lil' disappointed with the rears. I'm not sure when or where but the rear flare pushed into the body right at the bottom of flare and left a nice divit/ding. Other than that I am happy with them I guess. They will flex and take a beating but they scratch up pretty quickly. Fronts make a great table at snack time ;) Your JK is looking good!

Offline kidl33t

• Stocker
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »
My stocker wants to be your jeep!  I think I will end up following a very similar upgrade path.

Thankfully breaking the Jeep means I get a wife-sanctioned upgrade!

I hung up a bunch on the trail today.  Would you recommend a BB (as opposed to a full long arm kit) as a first upgrade?  What are your experiences with your OME kit?  I'm trying to decide where to spend first!