Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Stingers?  (Read 5290 times)

Offline jeeptastic

• Budget Lift
Stingers?
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know if front stingers are illegal to have on a Daily Driver?

Thanks

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
Re: Stingers?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:53:05 PM »
theres lots of guys that have stingers in calgary .. there NOT huge by any means     all depends on how big you decide to go im sure a cop would hassel you if it was 4 feet tall and stuck forward 3 feet

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline 88xj

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
Every thing is legal until your caught. But I'm not sure I had one back home with no problems and even went through a vehicle inspection and nothing said. Just don't have it big and ugly that it draws attention to yourself

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 09:59:07 PM »
So long as you drive like a normal person and don't attract attention you should be ok. I have never been hassled and there are a bunch of things I am technically violating.

Offline jeeptastic

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »
I am asking because I was just in a parking lot and I was parked in a parking stall and was walking into the store and for some reason I looked back and saw a Acura SUV back right into my stinger.  My stinger broke some tail lights and put a nice BIG dent in the back door of the Acura. The girl who hit my Jeep said she didn't see my stinger but she was going fast enough that if I didn't have my stinger she would have hit my winch and done a lot more damage to the front of my Jeep and I was the only one parked on the whole North side of the parking lot.

I called my Mom who always tells me how ugly the stinger is and she told me that my uncle(an ex RCMP officer and at one point top 10 RCMP officers in Canada) says that Stingers are illegal to have so I thought I would ask and try to do some research because if they are illegal I might look at getting rid of mine.

I have to say I really saw one of the many pro's to having an aftermarket bumper tonight. The stinger didn't even budge. It was solid and I was only left with a little scratch. I have pulled up beside police cars at red lights here in Calgary and I haven't been pulled over. I thought I would check. I have the Poison Spyder Trail Stinger. Its a lot smaller then the competition stinger.

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:57:21 PM »
This may help you, its a lot of reading, but this is the resource I always refer to when it comes to my Jeep.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=2009_122.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=9780779743193&display=html

Here is the section on bumpers for you :)

Bumpers

79(1)  A passenger car must have both a front and a rear bumper.

(2)  A person shall not install or alter a bumper on a passenger car unless the design of the bumper is equivalent to, and the bumper is mounted in substantially the same manner as, the bumper installed by the manufacturer of the passenger car.

(3)  A person shall not alter a passenger car in such a way that the main structural component of a bumper is more than 500 millimetres or less than 400 millimetres above ground level when the passenger car is not loaded.

(4)  For the purposes of subsection (3), components that are commonly known as bumperettes or overriders are not part of the main structural component of a bumper or of the projected vertical facing of a bumper.

(5)  Subsection (3) does not apply to passenger cars manufactured before April 1, 1976.

(6)  A person shall not alter a car manufactured before April 1, 1976 in such a way that the bumper is more than 100 millimetres higher or lower than it was at the time the car was manufactured.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:59:37 PM by tliguana »
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
There you have it.  The stringer while strong wouldn't really be considered the structural portion of the bumper so if being a "bumperette" doesn't really have much in the way of restrictions from what I can tell in that snippet.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 08:25:44 AM »
Because that law applies to PASSENGER CARS, is that what a jeep/truck/SUV is classified as?
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 08:27:25 AM »
maybe ask her just how close she intended to get to your jeep before she was going to put it in forward gear?  then ask her how its your fault she drove into something, then reply; whatever her response, come back with a witty response about her eyesight; or being a woman.  or to get off the phone.  whatever applies in the situation.........

i don't see how its any different than getting rear ended with a hitch ball in the reciever; it sticks out way to far, but thats totally legal;  your stinger won't sit that much further;  

if she says anything, i'd counter claim for a new stinger and $$$ for install and wasting your time for her inability to operate a moving vehicle.    
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 08:29:02 AM »
Because that law applies to PASSENGER CARS, is that what a jeep/truck/SUV is classified as?

Doesn't anyone remember the thread in chit-chat? Jeeps are legally station wagons.  ;D
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 09:33:45 AM »
i don't see how its any different than getting rear ended with a hitch ball in the reciever; it sticks out way to far, but thats totally legal;  your stinger won't sit that much further;  

I wouldn't use that arguement, it's illegal to have a hitch in your reciever unless you are towing something  :P

If you're ever not sure on a law the police are pretty helpful. Believe it or not but you can just call 403-266-1234 (non emergeny number) and talk to some at the CPS. If they don't know they can look it up/as their supervisor for you and give the correct answer.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:37:43 AM by vantagetes »

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »
I wouldn't use that arguement, it's illegal to have a hitch in your reciever unless you are towing something  :P

If you're ever not sure on a law the police are pretty helpful. Believe it or not but you can just call 403-266-1234 (non emergeny number) and talk to some at the CPS. If they don't know they can look it up/as their supervisor for you and give the correct answer.

then are hitch mounted baskets/bike carriers also illegal? or those hitch truck steps?  i'd assume hitch recovery devices are also illegal too.........
better yet, TRUCK NUTZ? they hang from the hitch too!!

and winch cradle mounts??????  all things that stick out of a hitch and will do damage....
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »
I had a peace officer threaten to tow my bronco with the tube bumper I had on the front. I really doubt he could have though. I would have fought that one.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 11:35:24 AM »

It is not illegal to have your hitch in your receiver.  There is no such provision in the Traffic Safety Act and there is no bylaw with regard to a hitch being in a receiver when not towing as well. And my neighbor and friend who is a member of CPS looked at me as though I had landed from mars when I asked him that.

The rules/laws covering it would fall under dimensional guidelines as in it cannot overhang your vehicle in excess of 1.5 m without red or orange flag in daytime or lit (again red or orange) at nightime. Also it cannot obscure normal view of your license plate.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 01:39:12 PM »
It is not illegal to have your hitch in your receiver.  There is no such provision in the Traffic Safety Act and there is no bylaw with regard to a hitch being in a receiver when not towing as well. And my neighbor and friend who is a member of CPS looked at me as though I had landed from mars when I asked him that.

The rules/laws covering it would fall under dimensional guidelines as in it cannot overhang your vehicle in excess of 1.5 m without red or orange flag in daytime or lit (again red or orange) at nightime. Also it cannot obscure normal view of your license plate.

I think it's either a commercial vehicle or BC thing then, I know someone who got a ticket on a welding truck. I'll have to ask. Either that or they were using the obscured liscence plate BS. So yeah I guess bike racks would fall into that catagory! Then again, like mud flaps it would depend on how much they really care at that given moment.