Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Effects of Land uses in the Ghost FLUZ - Recent Study  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Effects of Land uses in the Ghost FLUZ - Recent Study
« on: February 15, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »
Thought you all might enjoy this one.  :'(

So, how long before this gets released to the public? i vote just before May Long the papers will pick up on this ridiculous self serving study >:(

http://www.ghostwatershed.ca/GWAS/Research_&_Data_files/Ghost_Presentation%20%20-%20Cornel%20Yarmoloy%20and%20Brad%20Stelfox%20%28Feb2011%29_1.pdf

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:50:17 AM by Spinalguy »
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
Re: Effects of Land uses in the Ghost FLUZ - Recent Study
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 04:45:35 PM »
Didn't we predict this outcome when GAMP was first implemented?  Here's a couple of trails to play with and we'll use that to compare 5years from now....then wham.  Look according to stat's your the problem.

And I agree, this won't be released to the media until May 18th for the annual May Long witch hunt.
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:50:03 AM »
Well, i am not sure why no one else is getting fired up about this horribly non scientific study that lambastes OHV activity in the Ghost. It is NOT an SRD study but they may very well use it. SRD needs to read our comments to hopefully not use this JOKE of a study.
Please comment on the study. i have edited my original post.
i offer you this link to the riding community and their comments...
http://forums.rmdra.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6818

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »
i'm pretty fumed off, but this is just a slide show;  what i'm really interested to see is the presentation that undoubtedly goes with this................ the only real info is that OHV = bad.......... I would love to hear them explain the slides portraying future forestry's connection to eco tourism in the area, and mabye explain some of those slides and stats..........
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:35:07 AM »
Well, i am not sure why no one else is getting fired up about this horribly non scientific study that lambastes OHV activity in the Ghost. It is NOT an SRD study but they may very well use it. SRD needs to read our comments to hopefully not use this JOKE of a study.
http://forums.rmdra.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6818

After reviewing both the short and long study I fully agree with you.  This study is more an opinion than based on any scientific study.  Also it seems as though they are using data that is 5 to 7 years out of date.  I will comment accordingly.

I did find it humorous that the final picture is him (I am assuming) standing beside his pack horse in an open field...........paints a nice picture.  I could do the same thing with the jeep, clean it up stand there in nice clothes with my two boys and my daughter on a nice sunny day all smiles, would make it a very positive spin.  This document is more about spin than fact...........a shame really.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:56:44 AM »
It is interesting to read some of the comments at RMDRA. i am sure there are many on here who can dissect this thing apart to show the biased and non professional approach that the Authors took.
Also, maybe we can look finally at doing our own studies. MAYBE its time we can finally unite all OHV users and pool our money and resources to fight back?

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:55:17 AM »
I am hesitant to comment because I really don't know what are facts and what aren't or the history of some of these parks.  I will say though that my impression going through the slides is that it was very one sided.  Majority of the graphs looked as though it was targeting the OHV groups and the pictures were probably some of the worst areas (assuming) that had been beaten up.  As Silverfox said, that last picture of the guy with his horse really topped it off and makes your realize that these individuals are likely back country backpackers/hikers/horseriders and feel that anything other than that doesn't belong.

Spinalguy, I think you have a good idea with getting all the groups together to fund some sort of a study, it would at minimum show the SRD that the responsible groups are not interested in hiding anything and want to find ways to preserve those park areas as well.  One thing I would be interested in seeing is a look at the effects of closing trail systems, how much extra traffic it brings to the current open ones and/or how opening up new trail systems could alleviate some of the wear and tear on the limited number of available trails now.

I was reading an article in one of the 4x4 magazines and they were discussing how they took their governing people out on a wheeling trip with them.  To show them how the responsible groups use the land.  Is this something that has been considered or offered in the past?  Should we look at contacting the SRD and asking them to come out for a day?

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »

Spinalguy I'm surprised to see you react to an unscientific view this represents and think that ASRD won't run with it.

I guess you forget how the entire GAMP process was brought out and introduced with no scientific backing at all. They base all thier information on one fly over and direct government attention to that one problem. Unless things have changed and government people aren't either OHV users themselves or sleeping with them I doubt you'll see a loss of OHV trails anyway. The trick is to interest them in 4x4's instead and those trails would be saved as well.

Yes taking ASRD officials and government officials out on trails has been done before and it still gets  you squat.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:54:44 PM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »

Spinalguy I'm surprised to see you react to an unscientific view this represents and think that ASRD won't run with it.

I guess you forget how the entire GAMP process was brought out and introduced with no scientific backing at all. They base all thier information on one fly over and direct government attention to that one problem. Unless things have changed and government people aren't either OHV users themselves or sleeping with them I doubt you'll see a loss of OHV trails anyway. The trick is to interest them in 4x4's instead and those trails would be saved as well.

Yes taking ASRD officials and government officials out on trails has been done before and it still you squat.

i guess Gun at the end of the day, where will it stop? The bike group did get 41kms of singletrack on the map and we are in the process of getting 50km more in Waiporous. Slowly, but i believe its based on all the work we have accomplished in Maclean. Luckily because our initial focus was Maclean (as it was and is still open), they rewarded our efforts by allowing us to open up stuff in Waiporous.

i do think that SRD will use this RIDICULOUS study and gawd help us all if Teddy Moron wins the Premiership. Remember him? Think Indian Graves.
Its time for us to buck up and get our own study done.
or
We can just continue to volunteer in Waiporous (4x4 groups) and get what we have got...some winter trails. Wait for them to either take the mere pittance of trails given (67kms) and call it a day.
What to do, what to do????

And Yes Gun and 4WS took the SRD for a ride along that they were impressed with how wheelin is conducted (they had no idea thinking everything was Johnson Bog mentality).
 i agree that we all know GAMP was a frickin joke. >:(
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:48:19 PM by Spinalguy »

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 03:58:54 PM »
Just for the record, I want to clarify your last sentence because that makes it sound like we took them for the ride along and then lost the the 1200km's of trails. We took them for that trip after Gamp was in place.

Huge difference to set straight. :)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 04:46:47 PM »
Just for the record, I want to clarify your last sentence because that makes it sound like we took them for the ride along and then lost the the 1200km's of trails. We took them for that trip after Gamp was in place.

Huge difference to set straight. :)

Ha,ha,ha...yeah i see how that looked, definitely not what i meant. i will edit that into a better sentence.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »
I really don't want to say .."Gunther, you were right all along"...LOL ;)

I hope it will not come to that ....  ;D

hey what the heck ...maybe we'll get a sexy ASRD minister that's intrested to see the back seat of a Jeep. I'm sure there is someone out there that could take one for the greater good of the sport!  ;D

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »
There is one thing I think we should do and I've thought about it for  a few years now.

When ever someone has thier camping unit packed and ready to roll for that trip to Moab, South Dakota, California for the Rubicon trail, or B.C. I think we should be taking the time to stop at the Alberta borders with our fully loaded rigs and take a picture beside the "Thank You for Visiting Alberta" signs, then send those pictures to Travel Alberta and the Tourism Minister with a detailed travel discription of how long you spent there and exactly why you left Alberta to spend you tourism dollars else where instead of keeping it in the province to enjoy what could be a world class wheeling area if promoted properly and of course trails added to the system.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:15:43 PM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 09:00:32 PM »
Non motorized traffic!

Mr. Horsey isn't a saint:

Nor is Mr. Bicycle: