Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: RESPECT!!!  (Read 21112 times)

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
RESPECT!!!
« on: February 23, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »
In short there seems to be a lack thereof.
So many times I read threads on here and am very disappointed by the rude remarks by some of the CJA Executives and a few others that have been around for a while. Why is it that just because someone is new and wanting to attempt a mod that they catch flack for not already knowing the ins and outs of the entire procedure?  Or if they have asked what may seems like a common knowledge question they are made a joke of.
I am getting really turned off by the arrogance that is so common here. Some people here need to remember when they were the noobs and didn't know it all it was nice to know others were there to help without belittlement. 

Just Sayin!
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: RESPECT!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:19:18 PM »
No offense or anything, but when do newbs or rookies or green guys ever get respect?

I'm not talking about offroading, but life in general. Military, apprentices, frat houses, etc....

To me respect is earned, not given out like candy at Halloween.

Again, no offense, I do see what your shooting for.

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
The great thing about the interwebs is everything can be turned into a joke. The terrible thing about the interwebs is that unless you are overly gay and use emoticons for EVERYTHING all you have to work with is text. This leaves a lot open to interpretation. Compounded by the fact that the technology availible to us makes us lazier and lazier every day (thus conversations are cut down to one or two lines) what is meant to be a quick witty reply can easiliy come off as being overly rude.

That and after you see the same question(s) repeating every 2 weeks your answers stop being long in depth explainations and start becoming shorter and more directly to the point.

Offline Jeepless

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
The great thing about the interwebs is everything can be turned into a joke. The terrible thing about the interwebs is that unless you are overly gay and use emoticons for EVERYTHING all you have to work with is text. This leaves a lot open to interpretation. Compounded by the fact that the technology availible to us makes us lazier and lazier every day (thus conversations are cut down to one or two lines) what is meant to be a quick witty reply can easiliy come off as being overly rude.

That and after you see the same question(s) repeating every 2 weeks your answers stop being long in depth explainations and start becoming shorter and more directly to the point.

What he said. ;D

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »
alot of newbs seem to want the answers given to them     instead of doing research then asking other what teh best option would be from his or hers research

look into things your self    if u cant find the answer then maybe someone will give out some guidence but u have to try your self first

cant hold everybodies hands  alll the time

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Mudhawg

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Rig Life
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 12:50:21 AM »
this sounds like one of those "If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen" situations
1984 Chevy 6" Lift 40" Boggers

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 01:15:25 AM »
there are several  things going on here with newbbs.

Every 4 to 6 months a bunch of new people come on, all gun hoe and thinking they are the biggest bad asses with 31s and a shiny new winch. they ask a bunch of questions come out on a run or two brake a bunch of parts and then go "this game is expensive" and go back to where ever they came from. now 4 to 6 months later a next group come along and the same thing. Now the people that have been around for some time get tiered of answering these questions so the sarcasm comes out that is not translated in type very well.  I was the new guy at one time.

For the new group with XJs (that is the Cherokees, not the Grand Cherokees the boxy ones) I have body lifts now for sale.

The other group is the new guy that comes on asks a intelligent question and then argues the correct answer for 400 pages. or the new guy starts giving advice to other new guys that is completely wrong or does not work in this part of the world. Remember when on some of the very large "American sites" that wheeling in Alberta Rockies is different to wheeling in Arizona desert, to wheeling in east coast swamp.  

RESPECT is not given it is EARNED.  

Come out, wheel, lesson to criticizem. adapt, learn and improve and the respect will come.

I was out a couple weeks ago with a newer guy, he was having issues in the snow, we suggested dropping air pressure 5 psi, he asked why, we explained as he did it, it worked. his learning curve went almost start up from there. He has my respect and now I will bring him out to where grown men cry, and I guarantee you will be winching before the day is out fun places.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:17:05 AM by Waytec »
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:17:20 AM »
just because someone has EXEC in their title does not mean they are not human.  and yea, people take written text too harshly often, which is usually their problem, not usually the writers.  unless Billy writes it, then its pretty harsh.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 05:37:01 AM »
Ok! I am not going to backpeddle or anything but I do understand the phrase that even Exec's are human.  I also understand that RESPECT is earned, but sometimes Respect is worth giving. Respecting someone that you do not know can lead to better relationships in the end.  We all have an opinion or a starting point and don't deserve any disrespect just because of it. I say treat other people with respect until they prove to be different. Guilty until proven Innocent or Innocent until proven guilty? The world would be a much better place if we treated others like we would like to be treated!
I do want to say that I personally have never been offended directly by anyone on here and that is probably because I don't come across as a newbb know-it-all, I certainly don't know it all. I just see so much disrespect at work and around the construction industry and then when I log on to read about Jeeps I see more of it.  There are definitely some times that a little Tact can be used instead of being obviously harsh..or the old phrase " If you don't have anything good to say..." you get the point.
I have wheeled with a few of you and had a great time.  I have seen the sarcastic humor and enjoy it.
Rant over...
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 07:35:17 AM »
alot of newbs seem to want the answers given to them     instead of doing research then asking other what teh best option would be from his or hers research

look into things your self    if u cant find the answer then maybe someone will give out some guidence but u have to try your self first

cant hold everybodies hands  alll the time

This is basically what is boils down to with newbies.  All the info we need is on the web someone, and a couples minutes with GOOGLE will answer a lot of the very basic questions and questions that are asked on a weekly basis here and answered on a weekly basis.  All the elder members did not get to where they are by having their hand held, we had to do our research.  I have no problem passing along the info I know if someone asks an intelligent question
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »
Respect is a two way street.  I would say it is much more important that the person asking for help and that is new to the site/group have respect for the guys that have been around and have the answers.

You will usually see the harsh responses to the hollow questions.

"HELP! WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS?"  vs  "Doing _____, can you point me to where I can get some information on it or do you have any pointers?"  Essentially the same question, but they are going to get VERY different responses on most forums.

I am speaking from a newbs point of view here, and I shake my head almost every day at some of the questions that come up on here.

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 10:01:12 AM »
.. or the new guy starts giving advice to other new guys that is completely wrong or does not work in this part of the world.

That always makes me laugh  ;D

If you see something you don't like on the site, you can send an anonymous note to the "complaints" department and we'll take care of it.

www.calgaryjeep.com/complaints.htm
Jeep
With stuff

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 10:11:25 AM »
Respect should be earned, but common courtesy should be...well...common.
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
This link below should be a sticky on the site. If it were used FIRST, than the level of RESPECT!!! would skyrocket ;)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=the+most+commonly+asked+jeep+modification+questions
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.