Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: RESPECT!!!  (Read 21116 times)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: RESPECT!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »
You are talking as if any of us that deal out harsh justice simply pounce on anyone new.

That is not the case. The NOOBS that get pounced on here get it for a reason. Be it that they are lazy, now it all, ignorant, or begging for free crap, whatever, the harsh responses are there for a reason.

I never get rude with anyone unless they earn. Period.

You have been on this board for a long time. You would have to be blind not to see the changes in the last couple years. Lately, the offroad community has somehow got the impression that if you are an idiot with no money, to lazy to google, and to stupid to form a proper sentence when asking a question, well, the CJA site is for you.

That, combined with the fact that we are currently stuck with a contingent of execs that are so scared of their own shadow they spam the delete post button almost anytime members confront these lazy. broke arse, grammatically challenged retards, makes this board a laughing stock among a lot of the offroad community.

Common courtesy would be to come here and not ask for free stuff. Not posting redundant questions that have been answered a 100 times without even the slightest effort at researching is common courtesy.

Not trying to argue facts with poorly informed opinions because you think you know everything is common courtesy.

Not pretending to know what you are doing and hand out bad advice to newbs because your ego tells you it would be a good idea to play web wheeler today. Thats common coutesy.

The respect starts with coming to a new board and adherring to those unwritten rules. Break those, you get told.

Any other way would just make this board and club a bigger bunch of push overs then they already are.

And thats right, you havnt gotten the harsh treatment because you dont act like an idiot.

You could always start a "who wants to build me a long arm for beer" thread in case you are feeling left out. ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:16:46 AM by Bnine »
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Mudhawg

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Rig Life
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 11:17:16 AM »
Billy this site needs a Like button for posts like that haha
1984 Chevy 6" Lift 40" Boggers

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 11:21:37 AM »
Billy this site needs a Like button for posts like that haha
x2 anybody want to do an engine swap for beer? You also have to bring your own beer I'm not paying for it.

Dingman.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »
This link below should be a sticky on the site. If it were used FIRST, than the level of RESPECT!!! would skyrocket ;)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=the+most+commonly+asked+jeep+modification+questions

Ok so now my staff think I am insane...........oh and you oh me a new monitor, this one has coffee on it.

As one of those NOOBs I agree with the whole respect earned not given scenario.  I have spent a lot of money on my rig.............and as such I have spent a lot of time researching how to best spend that money based on what I want to do.  I don't think for a second that all of my choices are the best but they were my choices to make and I did my best to make informed ones.  I have asked a lot of questions but I have spent countless hours reading build threads, mod threads and general discussion threads on many boards.  I have gone to several peoples garages and listened to what worked and what didn't for them.  I have gone wheeling several times with these same people and watched what they do and how their rigs react and I have adjusted some of those things to my driving style and how I want to wheel.  I try to use my brain and not my ego (I am not always successful).

I learn more every day and every day I have more questions.  I am just starting to get to the point that I feel somewhat comfortable in pointing people in the direction of answers but only general answers to questions.  I am not qualified to give mechanical advice either through experience or training so I wouldn't think of doing it.

The wanting things for free stuff actually chaps my arse......I have had a few things that I got rid of and in my mind was more than fair in what I was getting rid of them for, but I would be embarrassed to offer to others what I have been offered for some things or rather been asked to get something to someone at a cost to me never mind just for free. 

If you can't be bothered to put in the effort to at least try and find some answers why would you expect people to put in any effort in helping you???

I will say Long Arm for Beer sounds like a good deal though  :o
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 12:28:41 PM »
Just for clarification Sean you're a Newb, not a NOOB. Difference being NOOB is a derogatory term for someone thats essentially an idiot. They can be new, or old. What defines the NOOB is their actions and attitude.

Newb is just someone new and looking to learn.

They are gaming terms. NOOB is pronounced like boob, and newb is new-b, or newbie.

Just because you drive us crazy sometimes with how over zealous you can get, doesnt mean you are even close to noob status :)
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »
Man I love Bnine's posts...More so probably because none of them have been directed at me   ;D

Hopefully I come across more Newb than NOOB.    :o

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 03:32:10 PM »
This is basically what is boils down to with newbies.  All the info we need is on the web someone, and a couples minutes with GOOGLE will answer a lot of the very basic questions and questions that are asked on a weekly basis here and answered on a weekly basis.  All the elder members did not get to where they are by having their hand held, we had to do our research.  I have no problem passing along the info I know if someone asks an intelligent question

It is also worth mentioning that with google thee is probably 10 bits of poor, confusing, missleading, or blatently stupid amounts of infomation for every right answer.....
There have been a few people on here that asked questions then continued down the slope of arguing beyond stupidity, there have been a couple of people who have had some spirited debates, and there have been a couple who got ripped on for asking a question on someones bad day.

In my experience both in person with CJA members as well as this board my experiences have been extremely positive and in general has made owning my jeep an even more positive experience. 
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline Jeepless

• Budget Lift
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 04:21:28 PM »
I know 4wheeler went down the drain but Redrum had the right idea when he had a section on his site for newbs. Ask any question, no matter how "newb" it may be and have no fear of being flamed. Then when a question is asked you guys that think they are the ultimate wheeler don't even have to lower yourselves go to that section. I've been wheeling nearly 30 years( 5 of those with a  brian) and still consider myself a "newb". Why? Because I will never know everything there is to know about wheeling.  Why it that the wheeling community has become so selfish? I'm amazed there are any new wheeleres when they see these boards and how (some) people conduct them selfes. I try and help out anyone I can with info. I don't mind looking it up. Knowlage is a pretty light load to carry.Ya the same questions may get asked a 100 times but you have this thing called a choice. If you think the post is stupid you have the choice to go on to the next post or thread. If we all keep hating the "newb" where do you think wheeing will be in the not so far future?. Alot of wheelers out there need to take a step back and realize that we need to work together in alot of areas(like this) to keep this hobby/sport alive.  Just my opinion.

Jeepless aka TANK

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »
I just want to say THANK YOU to bnine. You sure have a way with words. I like your perspective and forthright thinking. I guess we can all get a bit sensitive and I definitely do sometimes. I can understand the frustrations that present themselves with people that have obviously not done previous research.  I myself prefer to do as much research as possible before asking anyone mostly because I believe I can do anything I put my mind to. So if anyone needs any help...Just kidding!!
I will still try to be one that tries tact before smack. Yes some do deserve it!

JohnnyC - props to you for the funny fun side all the time. You are a good man...unlike Trevor (frackin' station wagons) ;D
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 05:19:25 PM »
I know 4wheeler went down the drain but Redrum had the right idea when he had a section on his site for newbs. Ask any question, no matter how "newb" it may be and have no fear of being flamed. Then when a question is asked you guys that think they are the ultimate wheeler don't even have to lower yourselves go to that section. I've been wheeling nearly 30 years( 5 of those with a  brian) and still consider myself a "newb". Why? Because I will never know everything there is to know about wheeling.  Why it that the wheeling community has become so selfish? I'm amazed there are any new wheeleres when they see these boards and how (some) people conduct them selfes. I try and help out anyone I can with info. I don't mind looking it up. Knowlage is a pretty light load to carry.Ya the same questions may get asked a 100 times but you have this thing called a choice. If you think the post is stupid you have the choice to go on to the next post or thread. If we all keep hating the "newb" where do you think wheeing will be in the not so far future?. Alot of wheelers out there need to take a step back and realize that we need to work together in alot of areas(like this) to keep this hobby/sport alive.  Just my opinion.

Jeepless aka TANK

Tank, i hear ya but...
i learned a great google trick. Search for info and add a +calgaryjeep.com

Here is the magical result (and SilverFox, no more spitting :D)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lift+kits%2Bcalgaryjeep.com

It makes it so easy. No more REPETITIVE (10x) questions. i really think it should be a sticky on every sub forum.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 06:08:43 PM »
I give everyone a fair amount of respect right off the start. HOWEVER the first words out of your mouth can drastically increase or decrease it. Choose wisely.   ;)

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
I give everyone a fair amount of respect right off the start. HOWEVER the first words out of your mouth can drastically increase or decrease it. Choose wisely.   ;)

Easy Big Shovel... ;)

Offline Justink

• Budget Lift
  • '89 comanche 5'' lift, 33's
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 09:06:04 PM »
I started off on this board with little to no knowledge of jeeps and have never had a problem with being flamed or anything like that.  I have also read so many build posts it's not even funny.  I think it's a great crew on here for the most part.  Like clay said :
I think that sums it up nicely.
'89 Comanche 5'' 33's, dana 44 playtoy
'91 cherokee 4.5'' 31's DD
'88 Nissan 300zx just for fun
If it seems like a good idea at the time it probably isn't!

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 10:30:15 PM »

Jeepless aka TANK

pirate4x4.com has a non-hardcore section in their forum for newb questions. pretty safe to ask almost anything.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 12:14:46 AM »
Tank, i hear ya but...
i learned a great google trick. Search for info and add a +calgaryjeep.com
It makes it so easy. No more REPETITIVE (10x) questions. i really think it should be a sticky on every sub forum.

Now that is a cool trick! Thanks for that Spinalguy, I just learned something here :)

Perhaps you should teach noobs to Google for beer!

Now that seems like a great idea! Capitalize on it while you can, or I will!!
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD