Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Sweet M101 for the Fox - HUGE THANKS to Jeff  (Read 7157 times)

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
Sweet M101 for the Fox - HUGE THANKS to Jeff
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »
Yup I am now the owner of an M101 trailer.  It is in damn good shape too.

Oh and before I forget..............a huge thank you to Jeff who well did a ton of things

First he found the trailer and was good enough to post it up here for us to see if we wanted.

Second he went and asked the guy if it was for sale (seems it was just covered in snow in the guys yard)

Then he took a bunch of pics to show it off.

Then he negotiated the guy down

Then he put the damn thing on his truck and drove it here from Winnipeg............who does that for someone????  Many many thanks Jeff, I will find an opportunity to both payit forward and get you back.

Very minimal surface rust on it and the bed is in great shape

Leaf springs are pretty damn rusty but I think that they will come apart and get cleaned up fairly easily.

It still has the pintle ring on it even though it has been welded to a hitch

But the pintle itself seems to be in fin shape and is not rust seized into the mount so a little work with a grinder will have the pintle and ball hitch soon removed from each other.

The lights are wired and work but are not run very well so I will fix that up here near term as well.

First thing will be to get it in trail shape..............then decide what to do with it, in the near term it will just haul stuff but in the medium term (hopefully before MOAB) I might put a tent topper on it.

For now I am just happy to have it and it is tucked up in the driveway.

Thanks again Jeff.

2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline JJonesee

• Budget Lift
Re: Sweet M101 for the Fox - HUGE THANKS to Jeff
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:20:56 PM »
Nice.. 

I have a ton of links on builds/parts etc..  Mine is a bit older, but most of it applies.
06' Rubicon LJ
52' M-100
82' Scrambler x 3

Offline after6queers

• BANNED
  • Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 05:14:50 PM »
That trailer doesn't look right...you need some fancy new trailer!!! Then you can sell me that one!!!  ;D!!

Looks great!!
2001 Jeep TJ - 4" Lift 35's MTZ Chanda made bumpers, fenders and sliders...still working on her!!!

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
Those m101 trailers are pretty badass, you should paint it to match the jeep, that would look outstanding.
Only drawback is that it looks too solidly built ...as in it looks kinda heavy
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:00:25 PM by Jrama »

Offline murray195

• Budget Lift
  • No such thing as secrets... just useful info
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:50:19 AM »
Awesome trailer Shawn! For anybody else that is looking, I grew up 5 mins from CFB Shilo. They have annual auctions and have quite a bit of items like this that pop up. A couple years ago there were a few old military jeeps that went up for sale. The Winnipeg base has been shutdown for a long time and was turned into more or less a convention area. But Shilo is sitting on quite a bit of surplus.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »
Those m101 trailers are pretty badass, you should paint it to match the jeep, that would look outstanding.
Only drawback is that it looks too solidly built ...as in it looks kinda heavy

Much to Trevors dismay it will be painted to match the Rubi.

I don't know about heavy.  It apparently according to military specs weighs 1,300 lbs but I have to say I didn't even notice it was behind the jeep, to the point were I had to ask my son to be sure it was still there.

It has a capacity of 2,000 lbs of payload at stock, but that would put me well over the 2,000lbs towing capacity of the Rubicon.  However I can't ever see the need to pull 700+ lbs of stuff in the trailer.

Once I get it too were I want it I will take it out and weigh it......................(I am not sure where I can do that but I am sure I can) and make sure I know what my weights are.  I have been pulling trailers for years and am a pretty huge believer in not over pulling........I have seen some pretty stupid crap over the years.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:21:08 PM »
Cool purchase man! There is a weight scale just south of the city if you follow Mcleod trail south out, right near the dunbow road turn....but you might want to find one a little closer to your neck of the woods...  :)
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 08:25:55 PM »
it will be painted to match the Rubi.

Ghey!!!!

There is another weigh scale on the north side of the #1, just east of Strathmore... there has got to be a scale closer to you Shawn.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 08:57:59 PM »
There's also one on the way to airdrie and also one just past the petro canada at the trans canada and highway 22 (Cochrane turnoff)
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »
ive had mine loaded with lots of stuff      and my rubi never had any trouble pulling it on and off the road .

as for the weight if it weights 1300 lbs empty   damn     glad the roof rack held it up   hahahha good thing the boss doesnt read CJA web site

http://m596.photobucket.com/albums/TJRubicon04/how%20to%20tow%202%20trailers%20home%201400%20km/?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2etu41yOOR6CtHGT0S0dhRbsvlKGOOcFNCaRrS904SLA2J7tlLZspkVHLKiCvWHuE5LX7n56%2FbLnzGcjng8KObI6t7ku%2Fnc8Vv%2FVsZzff%2FAtXskphySe929y%2BwXC8U%2BvmacOYjMIsdNut3AOnWltPSI%3D

it was loaded by myself and a co worker   and a few rachet straps
\
so now ill let you start building yours and ill steel all your ideas
hahahahh

hey did you check the bolt pattern to see if it matched your JK
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline homeguy

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 09:16:51 AM »
Nice Trailer... interested to see it all cleaned up and painted the same color of the Jeep.
2010 Mountain Edition, ARB front and rear diff covers, BFG AT's, Vision X Solstice XILS4102 & Solo's, S-Pod switch bezel, K&N drop in filter, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Poison Spyder front bumper, OME 2" lift, Rigid Industries Dually's & D2's, M8000

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
it will be painted to match the Rubi.
i can hook you up with LineX. They will match it to your jeep. It will last forever (lifetime guarantee).
i know the owner.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »
i can hook you up with LineX. They will match it to your jeep. It will last forever (lifetime guarantee).
i know the owner.

matched lineX on the inside would rock :)
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline JJonesee

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »
I think that is the weight for the US M101.  Unless somehow the Canadian version of my trailer gained 700 pounds.
Mine weighs 575lbs empty

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/trailer/m100-m115.pdf
06' Rubicon LJ
52' M-100
82' Scrambler x 3

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 09:41:13 PM »
I think that is the weight for the US M101.  Unless somehow the Canadian version of my trailer gained 700 pounds.
Mine weighs 575lbs empty

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/trailer/m100-m115.pdf

I think what you are referring to is the M10o which is a 1/4 ton version of the M101.  The M101 has a 3/4 ton capacity at 1,700 lbs and is heavier than the US equivalent M100.  After more searching the M101 appears to run ~700 lbs dry and empty which would make more sense based n the towing "feel" and Jeff's comments on hauling it from the Peg.  It  is likely higher than 700 and definitely not 575 lbs.  I will hits the scales here soon and get an actual weight.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:21:20 AM by SilverFox »
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's