Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 89 YJ  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Herby

• Stocker
89 YJ
« on: March 22, 2011, 03:24:07 PM »
Hi all.  Building up a YJ.  Not my first build, but my first Jeep build.  It all happened because my wife always wanted her old boss' Jeep.   It was his baby that he had since new.  He finally sold it to her (me) a couple months ago.  Its an 89 black YJ with a 2.5 inch Rancho lift.   The plan is to build it so its capable off road, but still have decent road manners.  The wife wants to drive it around top down....

So, since I can't stand the motor (4.2l) it was the first thing to go.  Found a great 2001 4.3L vortec out of a Jimmy for next to nothing, so its going in.  I have a 93 4.3l in my other rig that has been abused and still runs strong.  Great motors. 

Next will be a SOA.  Rear axle swapped to Ford 8.8 (4:10).  I'm going for Full Traction 0 lift springs with R9000 shocks.  Along with this, I have MORE traction bar for the rear and the slip loc trac bar for the front.   Also going shackle reversal. 

I will be running 35/12.5 KM2 on steel rims.   My buddy is building me a custom aluminum bumper for the front, and I've ordered Jeeperman's rear tire carrier.   Front fenders are Metal Cloak 6 inch arched, rear will be Metal Cloak 6 inch with armor.  Metal Cloak stuff came last week.  Its nice stuff!

Pretty sure I'm going ARB lockers, but that may change depending on how the OBA setup goes.  Have an old York compressor that we're trying to fit on the 4.3l..... 

The Jeep is currently torn apart at my buddies shop.  Doing some grinding/POR15ing this weekend, then going over the motor. 

Any suggestions etc welcome.  I have thick skin. 

Some pics....More to come.

As I bought it.

Pullin the 4.3L

Pullin the 4.2L

Metal Cloak

Have more pics somewhere. 

Black 89 YJ....building

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Re: 89 YJ
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 05:15:43 PM »
Welcome to the site!

This looks like a pretty good project Herby...please keep us posted. I'm looking forward to reading more about it.

Cheers,
Dom

Offline Herby

• Stocker
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I didn't even know there was a Calgary Jeep forum.

Yeah, its an ambitious build, but I think it will be worth it.  Do it right the first time is kind of the theme.

Found a few more pics. 

Hittin it with the hottsy

Wedged in an old 35 to roughly see the stance.

Some parts for the spring over and shackle reversal.  And a header for the 4.3 :) MORE makes some quality parts.

Black 89 YJ....building

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 03:21:15 PM »
Nice box of goodies there

Look forward to following your build - sounds like it will be pretty tall (5-6 on the SOA, 2-3 on the reversal plus 2.5 more on the springs) - Is that your intention ?

I just installed the same slip lock trac bar - I've spent some time pondering how exactly its going to hold up, curious to see how you deal with the height and stay parallel with that much lift (I ended up using a BDS relocation bracket off the diff housing) - Imagine you have some creative solutions in mind - good luck with it
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:27:38 PM by Biscuit! »
51 Willys CJ3A - V6, SM420, T18, D44/27 lockers
93 YJ, starting to see light at the end of the carport
98 ZJ, 5.2l - DD with too many go go gadgets
05 Dodge 2500HD hauler

Offline Herby

• Stocker
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »
Thanks Biscuit.  We went through a whole bunch of different springs from a bunch of different vehicles and almost went with some 72 Camero springs...  That would have been unique!  Too  much messing around though.  Finally I got talked into the flat Full Traction ones.   It will be tall, but we're trying to keep it down as much as possible.   

We had a few beers pondering that trac bar.  My mechanic buddy who recommended getting it, thinks he can make it work. 
Black 89 YJ....building

Offline Herby

• Stocker
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Did some rust removal the other day and started on the rub rails.  Should be very strong. 

Not too much else to report other then ordering up Jeeperman's rear bumper/tire carrier.  Also ordered ARBs and springs. 

Starting to think about skids now.  Build or buy?   
Black 89 YJ....building